Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread

Tooj

they're class man, i've never read so much since getting one. just hoy it in your pocket and you can read it on a train, or on the shitter at work, piece of piss. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

they're class man, i've never read so much since getting one. just hoy it in your pocket and you can read it on a train, or on the shitter at work, piece of piss. 

Do you have the older one or the new paperwhite type ones?

Does anyone get stuff they have bought delivered to work?

I do and maybe I order quite a bit, circa 4 parcels a week.  That could be anything from a book to bike parts.

The amount of comments I am getting now from people I am starting to think about stopping it!   

Aye get plenty of stuff delivered to work and if people had the sense to join you in modern life, they'd do it too. 

Do you have the older one or the new paperwhite type ones?

the new paperwhite. fits inside my suit jacket, touch screen. i'm going through 2-3 books a month, which for me is a lot. part of that is down to the convenience of the device. it weighs fuck all so you barely notice it, carrying it around. 

the new paperwhite. fits inside my suit jacket, touch screen. i'm going through 2-3 books a month, which for me is a lot. part of that is down to the convenience of the device. it weighs fuck all so you barely notice it, carrying it around. 

Will have a gander this weekend.

I just leave my Kindle by the bed, its a Paperwhite but still a bit bulky for taking everywhere. the phone app syncs your place though, so you can pick up where you left off on either device. Enough to to stop me stealing books and start buying off the Kindle store.

I do and maybe I order quite a bit, circa 4 parcels a week.  That could be anything from a book to bike parts.

The amount of comments I am getting now from people I am starting to think about stopping it!   

Aye, but I work from home.

I just leave my Kindle by the bed, its a Paperwhite but still a bit bulky for taking everywhere. the phone app syncs your place though, so you can pick up where you left off on either device. Enough to to stop me stealing books and start buying off the Kindle store.

How well do they deal with PDFs these days?

I've been reading on a tablet for years because the old Kindles really couldn't handle them.

I'm very impressed with reading on a tablet, it's just a pain in sunlight.  Decent workaround for that is just never leaving the house.

@@wykikitoon I wasn't at all sure about switching from real books either, but the convenience of being able to download whatever instantly and pressing on any word to get multiple definitions from custom dictionaries means I can't even read a real book anymore.

Off to IKEA with a specific item in mind, so I'm pre-emptively posting, a load of candles, some cacti that I will somehow kill, probably a kitchen implement I neither need nor want, a bath mat, some meatballs and not what I actually went in for.

Cunt of a shop.

Got the AKG Y50tb headphones that won the what hifi award for reasonably priced Bluetooth set in 2016.

Been on real shitty cheap ones for a few months since my Shure ones broke and it's lush listening to RTJ3 with the soundstage massively expanded from what I was used to.

The foodstore's got worse. Too many own-brands. I've ended up paying through the nose at this Scandinavian deli near Oxford Circus for things I used to be able to get for near-market value in Croydon or Gateshead. It's a jävla bloody outrage and no mistake.

I do and maybe I order quite a bit, circa 4 parcels a week. That could be anything from a book to bike parts.

No. :lol:

Not really a viable option in my case. It would probably be a sackable offence at my place.

on what grounds? sounds incredibly harsh.

Well I don't work in an office for a start, anything being delivered would have to either go through a security gatehouse first then onto the offices where if it got that far, would then be held for me to go and collect when I got the chance, I'd almost certainly be told not to do it again. If I was one of the people based in an office it would probably be a different matter.