Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread

Tooj

I’m sure I’ve told the tale of my “ One of These Days” trip, but it’s worth retelling. 

So, staying at my mate’s student digs in Hyde Park in Leeds. We take our dose and wait. 
Sooner than I thought I found myself stood, staring at some traffic lights, letting the raindrops (it was Leeds, course it was raining) hit my open eyes and freaking out at the amazing light show only I could see :lol:

the-universe-tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

After wandering about for fuck knows how long, when the streetlights on the other side of the valley spelt out “FUCK OFF!” we decided to head back to his digs. 
On went Floyd, off I went. 
At first I was regular me, but flying horizontallly at about 100ft, and at supersonic speed. Every hit of bass on the record corresponded with some “space energy rays, maaan” hitting me and making me grow :lol:

By the time I got to the North Pole,( for that was indeed my destination), I was pure energy and about 3 miles tall. 
I was floating above the Pole and could see Europe and Africa, and was still getting laced by space rays. 
Fucking mint tbh, and as I said, this bit felt like it lasted for hours but the songs only 5 minutes long. :lol:
( I was going to say “Imagine I looked like Dr. Manhattan, then realised not everyone is The Fish, so looked for a pic… I found the one below which, if I’m honest, is so accurate to what I experienced that its freaked me out a bit, as the trip I’m talking about was sometime in 1989 or 1990, way before t’interweb and that. :lol:

1061b2d1_drmanhattan1280x1024fix.png

Song ended, I opened my eyes, and I was back in a student hovel, regular sized, no space rays. :lol:

• Haha 10

54 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

despite my semi-traumatic experience, it remains one of the best mixtapes of all time 

Aye. It’s brilliant. Probably the first time the idea of a ‘studio mix’ was first realised, instead of just a mastered version of a club mix. It helps that the tunes are class too like 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

:lol:it's a line from a tune from the coldcut mixtape - do you know it? it's probably the greatest of all time.

absolute genius - all done in one live take on turntables too. no prost-production cleaning up and goes through about as many genres as you can think of - dnb, house, techno. funk. hiphop, triphop, ambient, and dr who :lol:

I’m pretty sure it was studio-mastered like. Or rather bits mixed live then re-edited bits patched together. With voice samples added too. James Brown dubbed over Plastikman’s techno funk was genius 

8 minutes ago, Alex said:

I’m pretty sure it was studio-mastered like. Or rather bits mixed live then re-edited bits patched together. With voice samples added too. James Brown dubbed over Plastikman’s techno funk was genius 

it sounds too good to be "live", but i recall reading something that said it was done in a single take. i'll see if i can dig it out

11 minutes ago, trophyshy said:

Passat GTE.  This is middle age.   

allow that. what else are we do but reminisce about the good old days at our age? 

• Like 1

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

it sounds too good to be "live", but i recall reading something that said it was done in a single take. i'll see if i can dig it out

I think they might’ve just said that to blow people’s minds a bit at the time it came out? I’ve read interviews where they talk about how they did it. Not that I’m very savvy about that sort of thing but even by it not being a ‘live’ single take, it was technically difficult back then. Which is a big part of the reason no one else had done anything quite like it. Not like a decade or so later where you could have a bit of software auto mixing / beat matching four tunes simultaneously. 

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’m sure I’ve told the tale of my “ One of These Days” trip, but it’s worth retelling. 

So, staying at my mate’s student digs in Hyde Park in Leeds. We take our dose and wait. 
Sooner than I thought I found myself stood, staring at some traffic lights, letting the raindrops (it was Leeds, course it was raining) hit my open eyes and freaking out at the amazing light show only I could see :lol:

the-universe-tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

After wandering about for fuck knows how long, when the streetlights on the other side of the valley spelt out “FUCK OFF!” we decided to head back to his digs. 
On went Floyd, off I went. 
At first I was regular me, but flying horizontallly at about 100ft, and at supersonic speed. Every hit of bass on the record corresponded with some “space energy rays, maaan” hitting me and making me grow :lol:

By the time I got to the North Pole,( for that was indeed my destination), I was pure energy and about 3 miles tall. 
I was floating above the Pole and could see Europe and Africa, and was still getting laced by space rays. 
Fucking mint tbh, and as I said, this bit felt like it lasted for hours but the songs only 5 minutes long. :lol:
( I was going to say “Imagine I looked like Dr. Manhattan, then realised not everyone is The Fish, so looked for a pic… I found the one below which, if I’m honest, is so accurate to what I experienced that its freaked me out a bit, as the trip I’m talking about was sometime in 1989 or 1990, way before t’interweb and that. :lol:

1061b2d1_drmanhattan1280x1024fix.png

Song ended, I opened my eyes, and I was back in a student hovel, regular sized, no space rays. :lol:

:lol: That's great but what happened when you dropped the acid? 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I think they might’ve just said that to blow people’s minds a bit at the time it came out? I’ve read interviews where they talk about how they did it. Not that I’m very savvy about that sort of thing but even by it not being a ‘live’ single take, it was technically difficult back then. Which is a big part of the reason no one else had done anything quite like it. Not like a decade or so later where you could have a bit of software auto mixing / beat matching four tunes simultaneously. 

you’re probably right. I can’t find the article. Either way, it’s a work of art 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Meenzer said:

Oo, I've done the parkrun there!

(sorry, Fish)

You used to run around Hyde Park, I used to run Hyde Park, we are not the same.

@Monkeys Fist What year did you trip the light fantastic?

Just now, Monkeys Fist said:

Time is, like, an abstract concept dude, free yourself from its constraints man. 
dude-listening-lebowski.gif

anytime between 03 and 07, I may have been there.