What was the first game you ever went to

Guest stevieintoon

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1978?! What were you, 4 or something?

There was a bloke who used to bring a bairn of about 5 or 6 to the match and sat near me. The kid just used to run up and down the stairs giggling and putting the flat bit of the seat down then letting it whack back up again. Most games his dad had to leave at half time cos the kid was pigsick of it. :lol:

Your dad did well to keep you entertained at the match at that age!

I was 6, he still takes the piss out of me for playing in the red sand round the edge of the pitch and not watching the match. We were in the old west stand next to the paddock.

New Year's Day '83 (I think) Keegan 2 - Carlisle 2. I remember a few things - looking on in awe at the Gallowgate, the mental atmosphere, the swearing (didn't realise adults did it so much - I'd only heard in the schoolyard up until then really) and Howard Gayle getting a welcome of monkey chants. Overall though, I loved it and was hooked on the Toon from then really.

March 3rd 1976 Stoke at home lost 1-0 I think it was a Micky Burns own goal. Sat on the wall at the front of the Gallowgate against the advertising hoardings. Remember a copper giving me a 10 pence piece that was lying on the gravel track and the bloody peanut bloke. Oh happy day!!!

21.09.96 Leeds a 1-0 0-0 36,070 7 5 0 2 10 7 15

Srnicek; Watson, Beresford; Howey, Peacock, Batty; Lee, Beardsley(Clark), Shearer, Asprilla, Ginola(Gillespie)

G: Shearer

Can remember being sat in the leeds end with mi mum n dad and shearer scoring and mi mum jumps up drawing the attention of pretty much everyone in the stand.

Different game, same situation. :lol:

Mine is:

29.04.96 Leeds a 1-0 1-0 38,562 36 24 4 8 64 35 76

Hislop; Watson, Elliott; Batty, Peacock, Albert; Gillespie(Barton), Lee, Ferdinand, Beardsley, Asprilla(Clark)

G: Gillespie

The infamous 'love it if we beat them' game. Remember the NUFC fans singing 'who the fuck are Man United!' and the Leeds fans joining in. :blush:

My first game was the Leicester 7-1 in the promotion season, was only about 7 like so can't remember much. Went to quite a few Boro games at Ayresome Park at that kind of time as tickets became extremely hard to get at SJP, my Dad took me on the condition we were going to watch a game of football, not to support Middlesbrough. :lol:

first game was scunthorpe (1-1)in the 74 cup run with my uncle ray.my auntie mary stuffed my pockets full of bog roll to throw at the ref.

first league game was coventry,opening day 74-75(3-2)got lost half way through the second half after my dad let me go to the east stand/gallowgate bogs on my own.imagine that these days ,letting a 7year old go through the crowds on the terraces to go to the bog on his own.ended up getting a lift home off one of the press(family story says it was john gibson,not so sure myself)

09.01.88 Crystal Palace h 1-0 1-0 20,415 FA Cup Round 3

Kelly; Anderson, Wharton; Cornwell, Jackson P, Roeder; McDonald, Gascoigne, Goddard, O'Neill(Craig), Jackson D

G: Gascoigne

This I think

Guest stevieintoon
09.01.88 Crystal Palace h 1-0 1-0 20,415 FA Cup Round 3

Kelly; Anderson, Wharton; Cornwell, Jackson P, Roeder; McDonald, Gascoigne, Goddard, O'Neill(Craig), Jackson D

G: Gascoigne

This I think

One of the best five goals I've ever seen in the flesh.

Guest stevieintoon

Website doesn't go far enough back for LeazesMug tbh

Same with Bobby Shinton, they don't go back as far as Bill McCracken and Hughie Gallagher days.

11.11.98 Blackburn h 1-1x 1-1 34,702 League Cup Round 4 Lp

Given; Barton, Pearce; Hughes, Dabizas, Batty; Georgiadis, Hamann, Shearer, Dalglish, Glass(Speed)

Crap game... we lost on penalties.

Shearer blazed a penalty miles over the bar in normal time, then three minutes later, Given saved a Blackburn one.

Sat 05-Feb 2005 Charlton (h) 1-1 Dyer 52 Rommedahl 53

Travelled all the way from Winnipeg, Canada to see this one. Supporting the toon sice the mid 80's- finally saw a match.

Sat in the East Stand and listened to some guy take Phillipe Albert's song and chant Laurent Robert's name all game in between chants of Souness out.

Loved Dyer's goal and was gutted when Rommedahl scored before I sat back down.

Rode back to London with the Charlton fans with my jacket zipped to my neck to cover my toon shirt.

Edited by Canuck

• 1 year later...
I was 5, it was Newcastle v Ipswich, we won 2-1 through two Mick Quinn goals. I can remember it because it was the unveiling of the Milburn Stand and Jackie's wife officially opened it.

Was just looking through a box of old baby photos, etc. up my mam's and found this. Never knew I had it. Great memory!

n699645869_1370578_8196.jpg

21.09.96 Leeds a 1-0 0-0 36,070 7 5 0 2 10 7 15

Srnicek; Watson, Beresford; Howey, Peacock, Batty; Lee, Beardsley(Clark), Shearer, Asprilla, Ginola(Gillespie)

Can remember being sat in the leeds end with mi mum n dad and shearer scoring and mi mum jumps up drawing the attention of pretty much everyone in the stand.

Different game, same situation. :lol:

Mine is:

29.04.96 Leeds a 1-0 1-0 38,562 36 24 4 8 64 35 76

Hislop; Watson, Elliott; Batty, Peacock, Albert; Gillespie(Barton), Lee, Ferdinand, Beardsley, Asprilla(Clark)

G: Gillespie

The infamous 'love it if we beat them' game. Remember the NUFC fans singing 'who the fuck are Man United!' and the Leeds fans joining in. :razz:

was this at the age of 20?

Links not working for me??

It's a scan of my first ever match ticket from that game. :lol:

I'd imagine that was the last time it was simply called the West Stand.

V stoke City April 1967 (or possibly 1966) me dad told me ma we were going to the pictures in town (the queens, where trillions is now) to see James Bond; went to the match instead. gallowgate corner under the 10 minute flag pole;