"Shepherd's Geordie war cry will just about bring a tear to Steve Bruce's eye tonight"

Taylor27

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...-name_page.html

Kids play with pride and it's a joy to watch

Jan 17 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Freddy Shepherd is backing his Newcastle United kids to see off Birmingham City in tonight's FA Cup third- round replay because they have "a burning passion to wear the black-and-white shirt."

The Newcastle United chairman is absolutely delighted at the way the youngsters have come through and done such a great job for Glenn Roeder.

And as United to go in against Geordie boy Steve Bruce's Birmingham tonight, Shepherd (pictured) told me: "We will have no fewer than eight of our Academy kids in our team and substitutes tonight in Steven Taylor, Peter Ramage, Paul Huntington, Matty Pattison, David Edgar, Alan O'Brien, Andy Carroll and James Troisi.

"That's 50% - and it becomes nearly 60% if you include our keeper Steve Harper, who also came through the ranks here.

"Even when Manchester United were bringing the likes of the Neville brothers, Ryan Giggs, David Beckham and Paul Scholes through, they did not have the numbers that we have here at the moment.

"It goes without saying that our planning and long-term strategy, which was started with Glenn Roeder at the Academy and has been taken on by Joe Joyce, is finally paying off.

"But this does not mean we are not pursuing our transfer targets in the January window.

"It cost us £10m to set up our Academy, and at this moment you have got to say it is money well spent as this current crop in the first team have done the club and the city proud.

"We will have the kids out again tonight against Birmingham City and everyone at the club has complete faith in them to win this replay.

"For me, the one thing that outweighs every other factor is the desire and the passion these young players have to wear the black-and-white shirt of Newcastle United Football Club.

"It hasn't been easy for them and, knowing Steve Bruce like I do, it won't be easy for them tonight. But what I like about our young lads is that they haven't bottled it when things have gone against them.

"And just look at David Edgar and Paul Huntington. They have goals against Manchester United and Spurs to their names - something that nobody can ever take away from them. I have known some full-backs spend a whole career here without scoring a goal.

"And I must say that the win at Spurs on Sunday was one of our best victories.

"I came up with the team on the flight from London on Sunday night and the whole plane was bouncing, such is the team spirit Glenn Roeder and his staff have instilled."

Shepherd's Geordie war cry will just about bring a tear to Steve Bruce's eye tonight. But it's a Cockney boy, albeit an adopted Geordie, Glenn Roeder, who knows he must keep his youngsters' feet on the ground tonight.

But at the same time the Toon boss will be lifted by Shepherd's comments that United are still hoping to bring in some need blood before the transfer window closes at the end of the month.

Certainly a signing and a couple of loan players would be a great boost at a time when Roeder hopes to have some of his walking wounded back in the next couple of weeks.

There will be no take-over of United in the immediate future, with neither Polygon nor Belgravia being able to put a package together, and Shepherd is now free to concentrate on trying to give Roeder some new faces.

But his last word was: "The kids and the rest of the team did us proud at White Hart Lane and I'm sure our fans will turn up in their droves and show their appreciation against Birmingham City tonight."

it's not like our academy is producing players of the same quality as giggs, scholes, beckham and neville.

a couple of promising defenders is all it is at present - which isn't a bad thing when you look at some of the money that we've spent on flop defenders in the past (marcelion, boumsong etc).

but i'm not getting that excited about it. i can't remember when our last youth player that came through the nufc ranks (that we were able to hang on to) that can compare to the man u youngsters of the early 90s. you probably have back to the 80s with the likes of gazza, beardsley and waddle.

It goes without saying that our planning and long-term strategy

Can of worms, opened. :D

I'd actually like o agree with him in this respect, because a good academy is the right form of "planning" :lol::blush:;). Though Roeder only took over the academy last season before Joyce. The likes of Huntingdon, Edgar etc. are not the product of this, yet. And just because they played quite well for a couple of games to compare them to the likes of Scholes, Beckham et al is just totally nonsense.

Edited by Isegrim

Shepherd basically bragging about how deep our injury crisis is and how poorly we performed in the last transfer window.

"We've got 8 lads from the Academy in the team and on the bench. Under normal circumstances they wouldn't get ANYWHERE NEAR the first team, but I'm gonna talk shit and pretend that it's a good thing."

he's got a point about the team spirit, it's been missing for a while. But it doesn't half make me cringe whenever I hear that he's been the in the meeeja again.

I'd actually like o agree with him in this respect, because a good academy is the right form of "planning" :lol::blush:;). Though Roeder only took over the academy last season before Joyce. The likes of Huntingdon, Edgar etc. are not the product of this, yet. And just because they played quite well for a couple of games to compare them to the likes of Scholes, Beckham et al is just totally nonsense.

When Roeder was in charge of the academy the young players were 15 to 16. From that age to 18 - 19 is the most important phase of a footballers development.

Plenty of credit goes to Roeder. Even more so if you dont consider them that talented.

Credit where credit is due ffs.

so they should say they are inferior to the manutd kids then ?

No, he should say fuck all. When asked how the kids are doing big them up by all means but don't come out with a fucking moronic statement comparing them to some of the best of kids produced by the worlds biggest club.

When Roeder was in charge of the academy the young players were 15 to 16. From that age to 18 - 19 is the most important phase of a footballers development.

Plenty of credit goes to Roeder. Even more so if you dont consider them that talented.

Credit where credit is due ffs.

Well, to be pedantic, Huntingdon and Edgar were already (or nearly) 18 by the time Roeder took over in 2005. And IIRC Roeder himself was very critical about the talent that was available to his disposal at the academy when he was still in charge while he was speaking about the ability to spot the real talents at young age.

And yes, I give Roeder credit for what he gets out of the youngsters currently. But I don't think it is yet the result of the long term "planning" :D:D:D Shepherd speaks of. Let them establish in the first team and see if they can play on this level on a permanent basis. So far I do not get carried away.

Edited by Isegrim

To be fair to Shepherd, in none of his quotes can I see the word "Geordie". Tell me if I'm wrong like but it's Oliver that continuously mentions that word.

Edited by Sima

The line 'Shepherd's war cry...' is hilarious like. Typical Oliver. Nowt much wrong with what Shepherd said though, or have I missed something? Also, he mentions planning and long-term strategy :lol: I'd love to think he reads this place and is taking the piss.

There is this though

"Even when Manchester United were bringing the likes of the Neville brothers, Ryan Giggs, David Beckham and Paul Scholes through, they did not have the numbers that we have here at the moment.

Yeah, kindly fuck off eh?

Randomly knocking Nicky Butt of that list as well. Top work.