another trophyless season beckons

Dr Gloom

does anyone expect us to win the uefa cup? or genuinely believe that we'll do more than roll over against the first decent team we play?

back to the league then. bags to play for on that score :lol:

Depends who we get fit by the time we play someone decent really. The standard of the UEFA Cup now means it was always going to be our only realistic chance of silverware. Still got an (outside) chance of winning it I reckon.

Depends who we get fit by the time we play someone decent really. The standard of the UEFA Cup now means it was always going to be our only realistic chance of silverware. Still got an (outside) chance of winning it I reckon.

indeed. uefa has always been our best chance of silverware.

i still fancy us to jelly it though.

I fancy us to never win a trophy ever again tbh :lol:

I fancy us to never win a trophy ever again tbh :lol:

me too.

cursed club, or could the 5th best chairman in the land do anything better?

(sorry...couldn't resist it)

I think we'll have our work cut out against either Fenerbahce or AZ but if we get past them (Taking for granted we'll get past Zelte) then who knows. Maybe even Owen could grace us with his presence for the latter stages, should we progress that far.

does anyone expect us to win the uefa cup? or genuinely believe that we'll do more than roll over against the first decent team we play?

back to the league then. bags to play for on that score :rolleyes:

What yah talking about man. we have won the Intertoto. I hope he cleaners have removed the cobwebs from the trophy cabinet.

back to the league then. bags to play for on that score :rolleyes:

you obviously wouldn't be one of those who stuck around when we were competing for the old 2nd division title when we had shit directors.

Just to remind you. We qualified for europe 4 times in over 30 years, only one of which was by finishing in the top 5.

Lets hope the next board will be better than that one ......... :rolleyes:

back to the league then. bags to play for on that score :mellow:

you obviously wouldn't be one of those who stuck around when we were competing for the old 2nd division title when we had shit directors.

Just to remind you. We qualified for europe 4 times in over 30 years, only one of which was by finishing in the top 5.

Lets hope the next board will be better than that one ......... :rolleyes:

Maybe they wont see us getting hammered 1-5 at home to a side a division below us? :rolleyes:

How many other chairmen have that dubious honour amongst the top clubs?

Anyone who had any serious trophy expectations for this season is way overly-optimistic. We're still trying to rebuild from the Souness reign of terror, not to mention losing Shearer permanently and Owen for the season. This season was nothing more than a write-off from the get-go, and as long as we finish mid-table or slightly better, it'll be all anyone should realistically have expected.

Thrilled that we're still in the UEFA, and hopefully we can get lucky a few more times, but I wasn't expecting any silverware this year to begin with. What the club needs to do now is get itself sorted out behind-the-scenes and start rebuilding from the ground up. We have about half the solid players we need for a good foundation - Owen, Martins, Dyer, Parker, Given, Emre, Duff (I still think he'll come good ala Butt) - and a decent few potential contenders - Milner, Taylor, Zog, Krul, maybe Hunty and Edgar, though the jury's still out... plus Nobby and Butt to anchor for another season or two. If we can line up some quality defenders and maybe another winger to alternate w/ Milner, another striker or two to give some depth to our attacking options, and we'll have a decent quality squad. Maybe not top-4, but we should be able to use that as a foundation to build upon.

Above and beyond that, we need to sort out our approach play because right now, it's woefully substandard. We have trouble stringing together passes, and with Owen, Martins, and Dyer as our primary strike options, a long-ball game won't work. Neither is our wing play, tbh. On the rare occasion when we manage to get a good cross in, we have trouble converting in the box. Our set pieces are horribly mediocre, as are our corners. We need a coach who can improve our play going forward, and a manager who can get our players communicating and actually clicking as a team. And honestly, I think Parker is just not captain material. He doesn't seem to hold the team together well, and I think the extra pressure of leadership is affecting his play. He seemed more at ease before he got the armband. I'd say either give it to Nobby or Butt, or give Dyer a stab and see what he can do. His return galvanized us against Arsenal and started us off on a good run, so he obviously brings some sort of boost to our game.

But what do I know? I've never even seen a live game... :rolleyes:

back to the league then. bags to play for on that score :razz:

Lets hope the next board will be better than that one ......... ;)

Maybe they wont see us getting hammered 1-5 at home to a side a division below us? :baby:

How many other chairmen have that dubious honour amongst the top clubs?

Didn't a Man U side with the likes of Cole, Giggs, Neville, Scholes & Beckham get beat 3-0 at home to York City?

back to the league then. bags to play for on that score :baby:

not like you to try mike wild assumptions leazesmag. nice try though

back to the league then. bags to play for on that score :baby:

let me get this straight. At the start of this season you expected Newcastle United to win a trophy?