Home toon debacles

Guest stevieintoon

Guest stevieintoon

Got thinking last night after the game, perhaps that is our worst post war result and performance, certainly in my time supporting the toon it is, you could mention 4-0 away at Southend, but we didn't have international footballers playing then.

What are you top 5 worst performances/results at home?

1. Newcastle 1 Birmingham 5 - Debacle, heartless, gutless, out played from start to finish

2. Newcastle 0 Everton 4 86/87 - Taken to the cleaners, and actually put in the washing machine

3. Newcastle 0 Sunderland 2 89/90 - For what was at stake, the shock of it, and how poor we played

4. Newcastle 0 Coventry 3 88/89 - Battered beyond belief in the first half having won at Anfield the week before

5. Newcastle 1 Wolves 4 89/90 - Humiliated by Wolves and 4 goals from Steve Bull

As I didn't grow up here I have no home memories...but I do remember my dad going to see us play at Exeter in the FA cup. When he got back it was very late but I woke up because I was really excited that he'd gone to see the mighty Newcastle play!!! ;)

I think we got beat 4-0 and I remember feeling absolutely gutted. :lol:

that 6-2 trouncing to man u springs to mind. brought us down to earth with a crash when some still harboured hope of us challenging for the title

I was at that one...a real screamer by Jenas. The place was rocking .... and then.... ;):lol:

that 6-2 trouncing to man u springs to mind. brought us down to earth with a crash when some still harboured hope of us challenging for the title

I was at that one...a real screamer by Jenas. The place was rocking .... and then.... ;):lol:

Same old story things never change?

Add Fulham 1-4 to that list. Although Crossley did have a blinder. You couldn't really say that about Maik Taylor last night.

I would't add that. I came out of that one thinking the same as everyone else: how can we have played so well but lost 4-1? It was insane. As I said in another thread, the Villa match was horrific in terms of performance, the sendings off, the booing of O'Brien, the fight, Taylor's ludicrous handball. Awful.

Edited by Keefaz

Add Fulham 1-4 to that list. Although Crossley did have a blinder. You couldn't really say that about Maik Taylor last night.

I would't add that. I came out of that one thinking the same as everyone else: how can we have played so well but lost 4-1? It was insane. As I said in another thread, the Villa match was horrific in terms of performance, the sendings off, the booing of O'Brien, the fight, Taylor's ludicrous handball. Awful.

Agree about the Villa game, complete joke.

But at least the players had some semblence of fight about them.

Aye, I suppose, 'played so well' is overdoing it like. Agree about Villa at home though.

Agree about the Villa game, complete joke.

But at least the players had some semblence of fight about them.

Wehay! :lol:

Add to that also (well for me anyway) that 4-1 home defeat against Liverpool in 98-99. Traumatic :lol:

The Villa fight match, wasn't that bad tbh. I was there, and the result didn't really matter in the end, it was something different for a change.

Add to that also (well for me anyway) that 4-1 home defeat against Liverpool in 98-99. Traumatic :lol:

Made worse by Mickey Mousers chanting 'Dalglish' for half the match iirc.

Debut goal for World Cup winner Gui'varch (sp?) too ;)

Guest stevieintoon

The Villa fight match, wasn't that bad tbh. I was there, and the result didn't really matter in the end, it was something different for a change.

Aye that 4-1 was shite but the dippers didn't even play that well, Owen was the difference. The 4-1 in 87/88 when Barry Davies called toon fans animals for chucking bananas at John Barnes was the worst against the truth avoiders, Steve Nicol hattrick 4fs?!? Still not in my top 5 though.

Aye, I suppose, 'played so well' is overdoing it like. Agree about Villa at home though.

Didn't we have 20+ shots ON TARGET alone in that game? Was just a freak amazing performance from Crossley. Think he saved two with his face from Kluivert.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Got thinking last night after the game, perhaps that is our worst post war result and performance, certainly in my time supporting the toon it is, you could mention 4-0 away at Southend, but we didn't have international footballers playing then.

1. Newcastle 1 Birmingham 5 - Debacle, heartless, gutless, out played from start to finish

2. Newcastle 0 Everton 4 86/87 - Taken to the cleaners, and actually put in the washing machine

3. Newcastle 0 Sunderland 2 89/90 - For what was at stake, the shock of it, and how poor we played

4. Newcastle 0 Coventry 3 88/89 - Battered beyond belief in the first half having won at Anfield the week before

5. Newcastle 1 Wolves 4 89/90 - Humiliated by Wolves and 4 goals from Steve Bull

With the exception of last night's game, I was at every single one of those...

I'd also add:

6. Newcastle 1 Liverpool 4 87/88 - Petrified of Barnes, Beardsley & Aldridge we forgot all about Steve Nicol who ended up with a hat-trick

4-4 v Troyes - we got a handy 1-1 draw in France to come back and capitulate. Sure we got it back to 4-4 but it might as well have stayed at 1-4 for the good the away goals did us.

With the exception of last night's game, I was at every single one of those...

I'd also add:

6. Newcastle 1 Liverpool 4 87/88 - Petrified of Barnes, Beardsley & Aldridge we forgot all about Steve Nicol who ended up with a hat-trick

it's you man, you're a fucking Jinx!

Guest stevieintoon

Only I wasn't there last night! :rolleyes:

I was at all them as well, but there's one big one that could've been in my top five. A naa it was only 2-1, the game against Forest in the Cup rankles with me. Ferdinand was on about it last neet, we had a brilliant side out, one of the best in the clubs history against a side that had won 2 in about 40 league and cup games, we were 1-0 up with 15 minutes left and lost 1-2 playing total shit. This would be in my top 10 due to the quality of players we had that let us all down that day

Newcastle: Hislop, Barton, Beresford, Peacock, Elliott, Batty, Lee, Beardsley, Ginola, Shearer, Ferdinand

4-4 v Troyes - we got a handy 1-1 draw in France to come back and capitulate. Sure we got it back to 4-4 but it might as well have stayed at 1-4 for the good the away goals did us.

That game was absolutely superb. Shame we got knocked out, but in hindsight i'm glad we were able to fully concentrate on getting 4th spot that season.

Guest stevieintoon

Was that the Ian Woan game?

Aye the cunt. He liked the toon as well, he admitted after he retired. He said he was gutted when he equalised after that 1-1 that basically bollocksed our title hopes.