David O'Leary to replace Souness ?

Jimbo

Personally he was my choice to replace Sir Bobby, but I see both the Independant and the Guardian both mention David O'Leary as being rumoured to be Souness's replacement.

Comments please.

Smug bastard, got on my tits when he kept saying Leeds were a top 4 team when they were 5th. [we were 4th]

Still, needs lots of money. He took over a team that was 5th, spent 96m quid and left them still 5th, and saddled with crippling debt. Hmmmm ... at least it's better than Souness, taking over a team that was 5th, spending loads of dosh too, and will leave us precisely nowhere probably near the bottom saddled with crippling debt.

I despise Souness so much I'd have O'Leary to take his place that's how bad its got.. He would come to Newcastl probably because at Villa they really do know what a shit chairman is !

With a bit of effort we could do much better.

However that would require knowledge of the intracies of world football which are likely beyond the grasp of our wonderful directors.

You couldn't see us plucking a Wenger from the J-League could you?

The idea that a manager must be British or Irish (ie of English league pedigree), or worse, a Geordie (as the pool of talent dilutes further) is ludicrous. I'd have said being a proven top coach and manager would be reasons number 1 to 972.

O'Leary is a decent manager, but he is only out for himself. His refusal to ever take any blame would be enough for me to steer well clear. Obviously not for Shepherd, as he was offered the job (like Bruce and Allerdyce) before Souness came.

I've got my doubts about Allerdyce. I think Bolton is perfect for his style and he's on a very long contract so would cost a fortune in compensation.

It would be nice to think that we wouldn't pass up the chance to take up one of two available top coaches, but it woudln't surprise me.

What happened the £20m O'Leary was promised this summer? I don't think he got it, he could be pissed off at that. He's a decent manager, the reputation he has as a cheque book manager is unfair. Don't want Big Sam here, he has talented players at Bolton but keeps them playing ugly football.

I'd prefer a decent foreign manager or someone from the lower leagues to them both. We need an inspired performance but FFS has shown he is unwilling to take a chance.

psyco pearce anyone?

20504[/snapback]

The only sane choice on this thread so far.

I don't think he would or should come yet though. His reputation is only just being made. (He will also be a future England manager IMO).

However, Man City gave him a chance and his reputation would suffer if he left them now.

We should stick with what we have for now.

I Couldnt careless if souness is sacked as long as its AFTER the transfer window closes...no chance of a decent striker coming if were managerless and 2nd bottom of the premiership..

In some of todays papers in mentions everton are worried we might be intrested in Moyes..

better than Souness. doing a good job at villa and plays good football.

20489[/snapback]

No better than what we have. If we are going to get a replacement for Souness, lets get a bloody WINNER not O'Leary.

Omar - that right that Hirtzfelt is still available ? I'd like him. No nonsense, and a winner. Turns around badly performing sides.

Edited by Phil K

Well the BBC were commenting this morning that Everton are concerned that ourselves and Celtic were interested in Moyes...

Personally I'd have any of Moyes, O'Leary or Bruce in replacement of Souness should he go...

But has been said earlier, Stuart Pearce would be my first choice - an ex-Newcastle player but it's his passion and enthusiasm which excites me. He literally does kick every ball and he's certainly got a huge chunk of Brian Clough in his style....

The best English manager in the Premiership by far IMO!

I really can't see the point in sacking Souness which will cost us a few million to pay him of, then having to pay compensation to another club just to end up with a manager like O'Dreary or (more likely) Steve Bruce.

The money would be much better spent strengthening the squad if this is the best replacement we can find.

I really can't see the point in sacking Souness which will cost us a few million to pay him of, then having to pay compensation to another club just to end up with a manager like O'Dreary or (more likely) Steve Bruce.

The money would be much better spent strengthening the squad if this is the best replacement we can find.

20676[/snapback]

I agree.

There are far better managers out there than O'leary and Bruce.

We should be making enquiries as to Sven's next plan after the World Cup as well as keeping an eye on other candidates from abroad as well as Stuart Pearce.

The next manager should not be:

O'Leary

Allardyce

Roeder

Venables

Burly

Moyes

Bruce

Shearer :blink:

We should stick with Souness until the end of the season at least and go for a proper replacement if Souey fails.