Roberto Ayala

Newcastle Fan

Really hope its us tbh..

Skysports

Roberto Ayala's agent has confirmed that the Argentinian defender is close to agreeing a free transfer move to an unnamed club.

Valencia have made little effort to secure the experienced defender to a new deal and, with his current contract expiring in June, look set to lose Ayala at the end of the campaign.

Villarreal are believed to be the prime candidates for Ayala's signature, but reports in the English press on Thursday indicated that Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez could yet raid his former club for the defender.

If Valencia continue to withhold from talks, then Gustavo Mascardi has confirmed that Ayala will commit to a new club inside three weeks.

"We have nearly reached an agreement with another club for next season, only a few details are outstanding," Mascardi told Radio Valencia SER.

"I cannot wait forever for a call from [Valencia sporting director Amedeo] Carboni about the negotiations.

"If nothing changes before the 4th or 5th of February we will sign the definitive document."

One man keen to remain a Che player is Hugo Viana, despite being linked with an exit after struggling for first team opportunities.

The former Newcastle man scored his first goal for the Primera Liga club on Sunday and is now determined to carve out a first team place at the Mestalla.

"[i want] to fulfil my contract. The rumours about my exit do not interest me," Viana told A Bola.

"My unique desire is to continue in Spain but I need to receive more opportunities.

"The last word goes to coach Quique Sanchez Flores."

Edited by Newcastle Fan

"I could easily go out and buy a couple of defenders who are the wrong side of 30, but that's the road to nowhere" - Roeder today.

What a pleb.

to think, we could have ended up with campbell if he hasn't adopted such a sensible approach :lol:

If we're on a tight budget, what good defenders does he actually think he can bring in on the cheap? If he was going for the likes of Ben Haim, Neill & Distin, fair enough. But can you honestly see Glenn going for any? We supposedly made a last-ditch bid for Neill in the summer. So why the f*ck hasn't he followed it up this month?

He doesn't bleed black and white....next!

recall for lee clark?

I thought this season, even though he was concentrating on coaching, Clark was going to still register as a player in case of emergencies? Surely we would have been better off with him on the park than Pattison?

I totally disagree with Roeder about his policy of just looking at players under 30. What we need and what the younger players need is some experienced leader at the back. Maybe such a signing is just for 2-3 seasons, but in football terms this would be good enough.

To make things better..

It seems West Ham are doing exactly what we should be doing..

Birmingham City have rejected a £4million offer from West Ham United for defender Matthew Upson.

The England international is fast emerging as one of the most sought-after properties in the January transfer window, with West Ham having firmed up initial interest with an official offer.

Alan Curbishley's bid has, though, fallen on deaf ears at St Andrews - with the Championship table toppers valuing Upson at around the £6million mark.

West Ham are desperate to add to their squad in a bid to quell an alarming slump this season, which has seen them very much embedded in the battle to beat the drop.

While they continue to struggle, Birmingham look strong bets for promotion and having reiterated their Premiership credentials with a 5-1 FA Cup win at Newcastle on Wednesday, they have no intention of sanctioning the departure of top names cheaply.

Upson's former club Arsenal are entitled to a 25 per cent cut of any transfer fee above the £2.5million Birmingham paid for him in 2003, further increasing the necessity for them to demand a top price