Roeder Hopeful On Transfer Target

Scottish Mag

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt we'd spend good money on a 20 year-old Peruvian not when there isn't that much money to throw about and when more pressing positions need addressed. Pure speculation in my opinion and a good bit of old fashioned 2 + 2 = :rolleyes: From what I've heard expect no signing that costs money, just loans.

Get yourself a book on the history on Newcastle United - we excel at that very kind of thing tbh :rolleyes:

GLENN Roeder is hoping that he will be able to bring one player in particular to St.James' Park before the end of January.

The United boss refused to name his target but did say that the player, should he arrive on Tyneside, would be a big success for the Magpies over the next four or five seasons.

However, Roeder is adamant he will not be forced into panic signings following the crushing FA Cup defeat against Birmingham City.

Indeed, the Toon chief again reiterated his desire to bring quality to the club and avoid making the same mistakes as previous managers.

Roeder told nufc.co.uk: "I will not be making any panic buys.

"We are working hard to bring in new players but it is slow going because I want quality.

"I could easily go out and buy a couple of central defenders who are the wrong side of 30, but that's the road to nowhere

"I have got to be positive that I will be able to get the signature one of player in particular that I have targeted, and be positive that he would be a big success at Newcastle over the next four or five years.

I kinda agree with the quality thing, but FFS at the moment a decent CB that is the wrong side of 30 is better than almost nothing.

One if it's just ONE signing no matter the quality, it still means we're going to be weak at the front or the back (or both if it's another midfield player). :rolleyes:

source?

Sauce?

:baby:

Poor lovejoy missed a trick ;)

dont think i did, i gave the source in the other post! :razz:

Roeder says humiliation will not alter plans

By Simon Rushworth

Published: 19 January 2007

As Newcastle United supporters continue to debate the significance of Wednesday night's 5-1 defeat at the hands of Birmingham City, the search is on for the unfortunate centenarian who can clearly recall each of the Magpies' most humiliating FA Cup capitulations at St James' Park.

Only then can the true scale of a shocking result be measured. In 1914, a 5-0 third-round home defeat at the hands of Sheffield United caused upset and consternation in equal measure. Ten thousand fewer fans attended Newcastle's next home game and four weeks passed before the club celebrated a victory.

Fast forward 93 years and it would appear the Magpies stand on the cusp of a fresh crisis. Wednesday's 26,099 gate will be boosted by 25,000 when West Ham United visit St James' Park tomorrow but season ticket sales hide the mood of dissatisfaction. The Newcastle manager, Glenn Roeder, cannot allow history to repeat itself after overseeing the club's most crushing Cup defeat of the modern era.

After encouraging Premiership results against Manchester United and Tottenham Hostpur earlier this month, the optimists would suggest defeat against Birmingham was a blip. The realists insist injury-ravaged Newcastle, reliant on inexperienced youth, were fortunate to escape embarrassing drubbings in each of those League fixtures and that the City debacle was a disaster waiting to happen.

"Wednesday wasn't a game too far for the young players but it was a hell of a learning curve," said Roeder, who stands accused of indecision in the transfer market. "But it doesn't change our transfer plans. To let one lack of a performance change what my plans are over the next two weeks would be stupid.

"What it does, it reinforces the importance of being able to fulfil what my plans are over the next two weeks and we have four or five senior players back over that period. By the time the window shuts I am expecting to have four or five available and that will make a big difference."

Roeder is mooted to have a £10m transfer budget at his disposal with defenders his obvious priority. Manchester United's Gabriel Heinze and Birmingham's Matthew Upson are the higher profile targets being discussed at the top level but Newcastle are hardly an attractive prospect for potential employees. The Uefa Cup represents the club's only hope of success in 2007 - without it the Magpies' season would, effectively, be over. After Wednesday night many Newcastle supporters believe it already is.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/pr...icle2165408.ece

- 'bout sums things up.

So what he is saying is.

The chairman has told me we're skint. When I took the job I knew this to be the case but was desperate to get back into management to show what I can do. Unfortunately that's not much. I have told him we need a good target man for the hoof it and hope tactics I have initiated which seemed to work well for Wimbledon in the eighties. The chairman said I may have to change the tactics but they are the only ones I know. Pretty sure we won't go down though so I get another season next year. Thats 3 and breaks my record.

talk of the tyne

Roeder, who may be tempted to push Nicky Butt into an emergency centre-back role, added: "The squad needs defenders - that part of the team certainly needs reinforcements."

so who the hell are we gonna get if everyone (even the manager !) agrees we need defenders ??

:baby:

disaster written all over it tbh

Curtis Davis from West Brom being linked again today.

He seems highly rated, but I've never seen him play. Also, I would have thought, sue to his age he'd be more for the future, not the next 4-5 years only.

Curtis Davis from West Brom being linked again today.

He seems highly rated, but I've never seen him play. Also, I would have thought, sue to his age he'd be more for the future, not the next 4-5 years only.

He's been likened to Paul McGrath which can be the ultimate compliment as McGrath's the best centre half I've saw play over here in my lifetime, but can't really say I'm too familiar with him apart from his huge fuck off afro at the moment.

Fabulous hair-do. Wenger was meant to be chasing after him a while back, but was scared off by the price tag- I think it was around £10m that Bryan Robson quoted. Maybe Nigel Peason is close with Davis having worked with him at The Hawthornes.

Edited by Barney

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,293-2556712,00.html

Roeder's eye on chosen few in hunt for quality

George Caulkin

Newcastle pledge new faces for team

Latest takeover bid falls through

With a takeover no longer a going concern at Newcastle United, the slim prospect of an imminent cash injection has diminished on Tyneside, but Glenn Roeder is hoping to complete one permanent transfer “of significance” during the transfer window.

Anton Ferdinand, Curtis Davies and Peter Crouch remain leading targets for the manager, who will also make two loan signings within the next fortnight.

The Belgravia Group, a Jersey-based investment company, announced yesterday that it “no longer intends to make an offer for Newcastle” and followed the recent example of Polygon in withdrawing from talks. While Belgravia “reserves the right” to renew its interest, Newcastle maintain that it was their approach to the takeover panel last week that effectively forced the issue.

Freddy Shepherd, the Newcastle chairman, has consistently cast doubt on Belgravia’s motives and, for the time being, the status quo endures at St James’ Park. Unlike Sir John Hall, who is willing to sell his 40 per cent stake, Shepherd is not seeking to relinquish control and, having told Belgravia to “put up or shut up” last month, he will feel vindicated by the development.

With Hall, the club’s president, saying that “I do not know what I will do now”, Newcastle’s future ownership remains a source of conjecture, but there are now fewer distractions from the task of strengthening the first-team squad.

Ferdinand, whose West Ham United team visit today, Davies and Crouch represent the calibre of player Roeder has identified, although none is guaranteed to arrive. With relegation, promotion and participation in the Champions League active issues for West Ham, West Bromwich Albion and Liverpool respectively, encouragement has not been forthcoming from the clubs concerned.

Alan Curbishley’s pursuit of several defenders for West Ham — Calum Davenport, bought from Tottenham Hotspur for £3 million, will make his debut at St James’ Park — leaves Ferdinand most vulnerable, particularly with Davies regarded as worth at least £10 million by his club. Roeder has identified two alternatives, but he is not prepared to sacrifice quality. If necessary, he will wait until the summer.

“What is proving difficult so far is getting clubs to sell their best players,” he said. “If I make a signing, I want it to be a significant one — it has to be a player who will have a career here for four or five years. We are still trying but, make no mistake about it, before the window closes, there will be new faces.It’s private business, but there has been contact between our club and other clubs. In the old days, things were concluded inside 24 hours.

“Because the players I have targeted are of high quality, the clubs they’re at do not really want them to leave and are making it difficult for us.”

A trying week for Newcastle has encompassed a 5-1 capitulation at home to Birmingham City in an FA Cup third-round replay and reports that Roeder attempted to cover up accusations of racism made against Emre Belözoglu, against which the 51-year-old is taking legal action.

It concludes with a match against West Ham, the club he formerly managed, and from whose supporters he received abuse in September.

The Birmingham trauma will not readily be forgiven. “It’s important we show we have put things behind us,” Roeder said. “That doesn’t mean we forget what happened, but I’ve spoken to a couple of the young lads and they mustn’t feel sorry for themselves. Life moves on and the best way to start eradicating a bloody awful night would be a performance and result that’s recognisable from a Newcastle team.”