Celtic keen on deal for Newcastle & Eire star

Craig

Stephen Carr is a target for the Bhoys according to reports on Tyneside

The 30-year-old full-back has seen Nolberto Solano fill in well for him whilst injured in recent weeks and knows that Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder is eyeing new defensive signings.

Dublin-born Carr joined Newcastle in the summer of 2004 after notching up nearly 270 appearances for Tottenham Hotspur.

Source: http://www.fansfc.com/frontpage/frontpagen...p?newsid=161767

Go........please! (yes I know I should take things from fansfc with a pinch of salt)

I thought it was going to be Given when I saw the word 'star'.

Guest stevieintoon

Yesssssssssssss everyones happy there if that happens, Celtic fans will claim he's chosen a bigger more massive huge club, we might get a fee, and we get the worst right back we've had since...well I can't think of one, plus his wages are gone.

Hope he enjoys his retirement.

is he 30 now??? seems like he was 28 two months ago...time fly's when ur injured...

you think?

i think it's more a case of time dragging when you've got a shit full back.

the last three years supporting newcastle have felt like an eternity. comes with the lowered expectations and no longer looking forward to the match on saturday because you know we're going to be pants.

is he 30 now??? seems like he was 28 two months ago...time fly's when ur injured...

you think?

i think it's more a case of time dragging when you've got a shit full back.

the last three years supporting newcastle have felt like an eternity. comes with the lowered expectations and no longer looking forward to the match on saturday because you know we're going to be pants.

what i mean is when our players come back from injury they seem a few years older. Like dyer, i still felt he was a talent before he came back as a 27/28 year old...

Edited by lualualua

Hope he goes or we'll be saddled with him until his contract is up. Could do with a replacement (on loan at least) though if he does.

Edited by alex

Guest stevieintoon

It's a shame Celtic fans would be lumbered with him, but I and many thousands of others will rejoice on Tyneside. He was a good player at Spurs, at the toon he's probably been the worst right back we've had in my time going (22 years). He's at least a stone over weight, gets skinned at least 5 times every game, is slower than a tortoise, fouls all the time, I'll be delighted if we shift him. When he's chasing someone who's skinned him, he looks like one of those fat cunts who run the London Marathon for charity and look like they're nailed on for a heart attack whne they reach the finish line. Nobby in the main has made him look like a mug, playing somewhere he hasn't played for 7 years and made it look easy, apart from last night.

I'd honest rather have the often criticised Paul Telfer at right back, please someone take him.

If the interest is genuine I am surprised what with them having Telfer, Mark Wilson and also Gary Caldwell who can play right back too. Whilst Wilson is injured at the moment he has looked great for them when playing.

Is that the former Man United/Boro Mark Wilson? Used to play football with him, was always a forward type player. Has he moved back to defence now?

If the interest is genuine I am surprised what with them having Telfer, Mark Wilson and also Gary Caldwell who can play right back too. Whilst Wilson is injured at the moment he has looked great for them when playing.

Is that the former Man United/Boro Mark Wilson? Used to play football with him, was always a forward type player. Has he moved back to defence now?

No, different player. This is a Scotland U21 and former Dundee United player.

If Celtic are offering a fee and we have another right-back lined up, i'd be happy to see him go. If not, however, no matter how bad he is, we shouldn't be looking to rid of one of the few defenders we have.

Who will take Babayaro off our hands though?

Babayaro is the only left-back at the club; i wouldn't want anybody to take him off our hands.

If Celtic are offering a fee and we have another right-back lined up, i'd be happy to see him go. If not, however, no matter how bad he is, we shouldn't be looking to rid of one of the few defenders we have.

Who will take Babayaro off our hands though?

Babayaro is the only left-back at the club; i wouldn't want anybody to take him off our hands.

Not in this transfer window, obviously, since we don't look like we're even trying to sign a replacement. Ideally, he will be replaced in the summer though.

He is shit but what do people expect for £1.5m or whatever it was, same with Babayaro. It is about time we spend good money on full-backs akin to what we spend on other areas like, we've always neglected those positions and it shows.

Edit: Hope he goes.

Edited by Howaythetoon

It's a shame Celtic fans would be lumbered with him, but I and many thousands of others will rejoice on Tyneside. He was a good player at Spurs, at the toon he's probably been the worst right back we've had in my time going (22 years). He's at least a stone over weight, gets skinned at least 5 times every game, is slower than a tortoise, fouls all the time, I'll be delighted if we shift him. When he's chasing someone who's skinned him, he looks like one of those fat cunts who run the London Marathon for charity and look like they're nailed on for a heart attack whne they reach the finish line. Nobby in the main has made him look like a mug, playing somewhere he hasn't played for 7 years and made it look easy, apart from last night.

I'd honest rather have the often criticised Paul Telfer at right back, please someone take him.

dont know why, but this post tickled me, the 'fat cunt' bit did it :rolleyes:

i agree with everything said though, he is fucking awful

He is shit but what do people expect for £1.5m or whatever it was, same with Babayaro. It is about time we spend good money on full-backs akin to what we spend on other areas like, we've always neglected those positions and it shows.

Jean Alain Boumsong £8m

Titus Bramble £4.5m

Jonathan Woodgate £9m

Elena Marcelino £5.8m

Alain Goma £4.7m

Didier Domi £4m

Alessandro Pistone £4.5m

It's not like we haven't spent big money there too.

Jean Alain Boumsong £8m

Titus Bramble £4.5m

Jonathan Woodgate £9m

Elena Marcelino £5.8m

Alain Goma £4.7m

Didier Domi £4m

Alessandro Pistone £4.5m

FULL-BACK POSITIONS

OK Domi and Pistone cost a few quid, but that's just two players, there. We've needed two new full-backs since 2003 really, certainly at right-back.

BTW Domi was class while he was at the club, shame he couldn't hack it.

Look at how much Arsenal's full-backs cost. :baby:

Jean Alain Boumsong £8m

Titus Bramble £4.5m

Jonathan Woodgate £9m

Elena Marcelino £5.8m

Alain Goma £4.7m

Didier Domi £4m

Alessandro Pistone £4.5m

FULL-BACK POSITIONS

OK Domi and Pistone cost a few quid, but that's just two players, there. We've needed two new full-backs since 2003 really, certainly at right-back.

BTW Domi was class while he was at the club, shame he couldn't hack it.

On occasion he was, at other times he was pretty shit. Lacked a bit of bottle I thought too, seen him pull out of the odd 50-50. Not the best trait in a full-back tbh.