Glenn in SOS call to Carr

David Kelly

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Glenn Roeder is banking on one of his forgotten men, defender Stephen Carr, answering an SOS for tomorrow's game with West Ham United at St James Park.

Reports today that Roeder had been given the green light to make a move for West Brom defender Curtis Davies are not correct - and again the beleaguered Newcastle United manager finds himself with what can only be described as another defensive crisis.

Titus Bramble, Craig Moore, Celestine Babayaro and Olivier Bernard are all still injured and Steven Taylor is suspended.

So young defenders Peter Ramage and Paul Huntington will have to play despite being left shell-shocked after Wednesday's FA Cup humiliation.

However, Roeder hopes to have Carr and his skipper Scott Parker back, while the United boss claims Emre is 50-50 for tomorrow as the little Turk recovers from a calf injury.

Roeder told me today: "Stephen Carr has only had a week's training with the first- team squad after his foot injury, and in normal circumstances I would not ask him to play.

"But these are not ideal circumstances and we will have to have a look at him after training today to see if he is up for selection.

"We may even have to ask him to play out of position, but knowing the sort of person he is, I know he would do this."

Carr actually had a good start to the season, and when both Parker and Shay Given have been missing through injury he has led United out.

However, he fell foul of the fans on that dreadful night against Sheffield United, but such is United's predicament that this has all got to be forgotten tomorrow.

Those fans have every right to ask why Celestine Babayaro is taking so long to recover from his hamstring injury.

And I know they are querying whether Emre's absence has anything to do with the allegations of racist abuse which have been made against him.

Roeder, who has strenuously denied that he was involved in any cover-up at Goodison Park, added: "Emre is 50-50 for tomorrow, but he understands the situation we are in and he wants to be out there as soon as he can."

The United boss has admitted that Emre has been "knocked sideways" by the racist allegations, but it has to be said that the longer the Turkish midfielder is absent, as the situation shows no sign of easing up, the harder it will be for him to return.

Meanwhile, Roeder is keeping his fingers crossed that Shay Given will be OK to play tomorrow as the United keeper waits for his wife Jane to present him with their second child, which is due over the weekend.

Roeder said: "We are always sensitive to family matters and there is nothing anyone can do about the timing of the arrival of a baby.

"But we know Shay will do everything to play."

:baby:

It's transpired the bit in bold was meant to read "Carr actually had a fucking awfull start to the season costing us goal after goal with his pefeformances gradually getting worse until he was mercifully injured last year".

TBH, I think we need Carr in the team tomorrow, for the sole reason of us having played so many games with these young lads in a row, we need someone who's had a rest to come in and freshen it up.

Have you ever seen him play? He should never be anywhere near the squad even now tbh. Nobby is a far better right back and I'd play every single one of those kids in any other position ahead of him.

I've just realised that Carr is my new Andy O'Brien!

Luque is more worthy of a place than Carr, as is O'Brien, Clarke & Terry Mac!

I can see where you're coming from but not in Roeder's eyes. Luque wasn't even on the bench on Wednesday and Lua Lua (who's 16) was. I just reckon Carr at RB, Nobby RW and Milner on the left would be better than having Pattison in. That's not a kneejerk reaction to Wednesday either, Pattison's looked dreadful in all the games I've seen him play in recently.

I can see where you're coming from but not in Roeder's eyes. Luque wasn't even on the bench on Wednesday and Lua Lua (who's 16) was. I just reckon Carr at RB, Nobby RW and Milner on the left would be better than having Pattison in. That's not a kneejerk reaction to Wednesday either, Pattison's looked dreadful in all the games I've seen him play in recently.

I agree about Pattison but tbf to the lad he's not a winger and from what I can see he's not even a particularly attacking player who you can use on the wing (someone like Dyer) so I never understood playing him there in the first place.

Seriously though, I'd rather play Butt in defence to allow Nobby to move forward than let Carr anywhere near the team.

luque's played his last game for us tbh - even if he doesn't leave until the summer.

roeder would rather play an untried youngster. says it all really

About Luque's playing ability or Roeder's managerial ability?

I agree about Pattison but tbf to the lad he's not a winger and from what I can see he's not even a particularly attacking player who you can use on the wing (someone like Dyer) so I never understood playing him there in the first place.

Seriously though, I'd rather play Butt in defence to allow Nobby to move forward than let Carr anywhere near the team.

Yeah, Patterson has looked terrible but its not all his fault. He looks like a limited hard working central midfielder (not prem standard) and is always going to struggle when asked to play on the wing. Now away from home he's putting him there to help out defnsively as well, though i still wouldn't pick him there, but to play him as a winger at home was a bad decision.

luque's played his last game for us tbh - even if he doesn't leave until the summer.

roeder would rather play an untried youngster. says it all really

About Luque's playing ability or Roeder's managerial ability?

well his form for depor would suggest he has some ability, so it's either luque's attitude or roeder's man management depending on which way you look at it.

either way, i can't see him playing for us again.

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Glenn Roeder is banking on one of his forgotten men, defender Stephen Carr, answering an SOS for tomorrow's game with West Ham United at St James Park.

Reports today that Roeder had been given the green light to make a move for West Brom defender Curtis Davies are not correct - and again the beleaguered Newcastle United manager finds himself with what can only be described as another defensive crisis.

Titus Bramble, Craig Moore, Celestine Babayaro and Olivier Bernard are all still injured and Steven Taylor is suspended.

So young defenders Peter Ramage and Paul Huntington will have to play despite being left shell-shocked after Wednesday's FA Cup humiliation.

However, Roeder hopes to have Carr and his skipper Scott Parker back, while the United boss claims Emre is 50-50 for tomorrow as the little Turk recovers from a calf injury.

Roeder told me today: "Stephen Carr has only had a week's training with the first- team squad after his foot injury, and in normal circumstances I would not ask him to play.

"But these are not ideal circumstances and we will have to have a look at him after training today to see if he is up for selection.

"We may even have to ask him to play out of position, but knowing the sort of person he is, I know he would do this."

Carr actually had a good start to the season, and when both Parker and Shay Given have been missing through injury he has led United out.

However, he fell foul of the fans on that dreadful night against Sheffield United, but such is United's predicament that this has all got to be forgotten tomorrow.

Those fans have every right to ask why Celestine Babayaro is taking so long to recover from his hamstring injury.

And I know they are querying whether Emre's absence has anything to do with the allegations of racist abuse which have been made against him.

Roeder, who has strenuously denied that he was involved in any cover-up at Goodison Park, added: "Emre is 50-50 for tomorrow, but he understands the situation we are in and he wants to be out there as soon as he can."

The United boss has admitted that Emre has been "knocked sideways" by the racist allegations, but it has to be said that the longer the Turkish midfielder is absent, as the situation shows no sign of easing up, the harder it will be for him to return.

Meanwhile, Roeder is keeping his fingers crossed that Shay Given will be OK to play tomorrow as the United keeper waits for his wife Jane to present him with their second child, which is due over the weekend.

Roeder said: "We are always sensitive to family matters and there is nothing anyone can do about the timing of the arrival of a baby.

"But we know Shay will do everything to play."

:baby:

It's transpired the bit in bold was meant to read "Carr actually had a fucking awfull start to the season costing us goal after goal with his pefeformances gradually getting worse until he was mercifully injured last year".

To be fair, it wasn't Roeder who made that quote. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he did though.