Upson bid coming soon apparently

meshman

We can get better for £6 million IMO.

granted - but wouldnt you rather have him for 6m or nothing for nothing and stick with what we got ?

was one of their best players the other night imo - certainly better than any of our backline tbf

Out of contract at the end of the season it says, £6m is a ridiculous price for a player available for nowt in a few months, if they want him get him on a pre-contract for the summer. £6m is too much, but I'd have him for free.

We can get better for £6 million IMO.

granted - but wouldnt you rather have him for 6m or nothing for nothing and stick with what we got ?

was one of their best players the other night imo - certainly better than any of our backline tbf

But he looked poor when we played them at their place, perhaps he stood out because we didn't really create anything?

Add to that he's injury prone so I dread to think what he'll be like if he came here, I certainly wouldn't spend £6 million on him for the sake of getting someone in.

Out of contract at the end of the season it says, £6m is a ridiculous price for a player available for nowt in a few months, if they want him get him on a pre-contract for the summer. £6m is too much, but I'd have him for free.

Out of contract next summer as in 2008.

Out of contract next summer as in 2008.

Oh yeah. :baby:

Could have had him for peanuts a few years ago, when he was a better player.

Baggio however does not like us buying big club youth rejects :baby:

Seriously though 6M is a lot, especially at our current financial quagmire created by the board.

I am not entirely convinced that 6M for Upson would be a good deal for us.

At 6M or slightly less we should/could maybe get

Wes Brown - Manchester United

Foreign defender - Foreign club

Tal Ben Haim - Bolton

Khalid Boulahrouz - Chelsea (may get him at this price after 1 particularly awful performance that upset Mourinho so much)

Slyvain Distin - Manchester City

Mikel Silvestre - Manchester United

Anton Ferdinand - West Ham

Or maybe we could pay more to get

Curtis Davies - West Brom

Gabriel Heinze - Manchester United

Or maybe a lot less for

Paul McShane - West Brom

Roberto Ayala - Valencia

Patrick McCarthy - Leichester City

Martin Taylor - Birmingham

We could have got Sol Campbell for free half a season ago. Lescott cost 5M and look a better player at younger age.

Personally I don't see any quick fix availalbe on a cheap. So perhaps Roeder should go for an up and coming young defender (British or foreigner) with talents and leadership quality. If we can get quality then I won't mind to spend more. This however should not hamper our search of a reliable left back.

Could have had him for peanuts a few years ago, when he was a better player.

Baggio however does not like us buying big club youth rejects :baby:

Not when they're not much of an improvement on what we already have I don't.

Ben Haim is a good shout, IMO a much better defender, versatile and probably wouldn't cost £6m due to his contract REALLY being up in the summer :baby:

Why would he sign for us now when he knows Chelsea want him?

With all due respect to Ramage lad, many defenders (including Moore and Bramble) are significant improvements over him.

When Upson first came out from Arsenal, he wasn't any improvement over our then first choice centre backs. However if we have invested a bit of money (Birmingham paid 1 million), see what the rewards we could be reaping now? Even if Boumsong and Bramble were not to turn bad drastically Upson could still be a quality centre half back up.

And now we have to pay 6M to get him!

Ben Haim is a good shout, IMO a much better defender, versatile and probably wouldn't cost £6m due to his contract REALLY being up in the summer :baby:

I agree, he's quality. Apparently Big Sam thinks he's worth much more that the £2m Chelsea hed rejected... (£3-4m?), but then again IF Ben Haim won't extend, he'll have to sell...

IMO we should try with a bid for Distin. His contract is up next summer, and I think he would be a very good partner for Taylor.

Ferdinand and Silvestre - no thanks!

With all due respect to Ramage lad, many defenders (including Moore and Bramble) are significant improvements over him.

When Upson first came out from Arsenal, he wasn't any improvement over our then first choice centre backs. However if we have invested a bit of money (Birmingham paid 1 million), see what the rewards we could be reaping now? Even if Boumsong and Bramble were not to turn bad drastically Upson could still be a quality centre half back up.

And now we have to pay 6M to get him!

Ramage is shit, we all know that but replacing him with players like Jonathon Spector won't get us anywhere, we need to be aiming higher than that.

Birminham paid £3 million for Upson and signed him around the same time as we forked out £9 million for Woodgate, he was a far better player than Bramble, O'Brien and Dabizas at the time but unfortunately we didn't have the money for both of them.

Edited by Baggio

Roeder promises new faces

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder is confident he will be able to bring 'new faces' to St James' Park in the January transfer window, despite conceding the fact it has been a struggle thus far.

Wednesday night's humiliating 5-1 home defeat to Championship side Birmingham in an FA Cup replay merely underlined the fact Newcastle are struggling for bodies, given the unprecedented level of injuries they have had to endure this season.

The treatment room at the North East club has been congested all season and while a number of players are set to return before too long, Roeder accepts that he needs to make inroads in the January window.

Roeder claims that top level players have been targeted, with a plan to bring in players on-loan still very much at the forefront of his mind.

"The players we’ve targeted are of a high quality and the clubs where they are at don’t really want them to leave and are making it difficult for us," Roeder told Sky Sports News.

"Make no mistake about it, before the window closes there will be new faces in here.

"After what happened on Wednesday night I’m not going to panic, I’ll stay true to my beliefs and it was always my intention to find two players who would come in on loan until the end of the season, possibly with a view to signing if they do well.

"If we can’t make a significant signing that we’re targeting in January, that does not mean in the summer we won’t be back in.

"It also buys us time to perhaps unearth some other possible players. What would help now is if those players that have been injured come back.

"There’s a couple more coming back tomorrow."