Upson bid coming soon apparently

meshman

Ramage is shit, we all know that but replacing him with players like Jonathon Spector won't get us anywhere, we need to be aiming higher than that.

Birminham paid £3 million for Upson and signed him around the same time as we forked out £9 million for Woodgate, he was a far better player than Bramble, O'Brien and Dabizas at the time but unfortunately we didn't have the money for both of them.

Birmingham paid 1M £. Soccerbase, BCFC.

Upson wasn't a better player than Bramble that time, let alone far better.

Also, I am not saying Spector is a far better player, and I have never said that Spector is a solution to our defensive problem. All I am saying is that Spector would represent good value for investment (which we shouldn't miss) as he has prodigee, he is cheap (West Ham bought him for 500k), he is young yet has premiership experience, and he is already better than both Carr and Ramage.

Ben Haim is a good shout, IMO a much better defender, versatile and probably wouldn't cost £6m due to his contract REALLY being up in the summer :baby:

Why would he sign for us now when he knows Chelsea want him?

Depends, Chelsea might get someone else in instead.

Roeder promises new faces

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder is confident he will be able to bring 'new faces' to St James' Park in the January transfer window, despite conceding the fact it has been a struggle thus far.

Wednesday night's humiliating 5-1 home defeat to Championship side Birmingham in an FA Cup replay merely underlined the fact Newcastle are struggling for bodies, given the unprecedented level of injuries they have had to endure this season.

The treatment room at the North East club has been congested all season and while a number of players are set to return before too long, Roeder accepts that he needs to make inroads in the January window.

Roeder claims that top level players have been targeted, with a plan to bring in players on-loan still very much at the forefront of his mind.

"The players we’ve targeted are of a high quality and the clubs where they are at don’t really want them to leave and are making it difficult for us," Roeder told Sky Sports News.

"Make no mistake about it, before the window closes there will be new faces in here.

"After what happened on Wednesday night I’m not going to panic, I’ll stay true to my beliefs and it was always my intention to find two players who would come in on loan until the end of the season, possibly with a view to signing if they do well.

"If we can’t make a significant signing that we’re targeting in January, that does not mean in the summer we won’t be back in.

"It also buys us time to perhaps unearth some other possible players. What would help now is if those players that have been injured come back.

"There’s a couple more coming back tomorrow."

I quite like the bold bit. If this is your plan then good luck to you Glenn, quality loan-signings could solve our problem temporarily and buy us time. But quality and loan don't come together naturally so if you fail to deliver them you should know that you would have done poorly in this transfer window.

And please, beggar can't be chooser. We can't always insist on qualities. It would be silly to miss out any new player at all because they are not of the highest quality. In the summer you brought in Bernard and Sib on free, and Rossi on loan. We are unlucky with Bernard's injury. But Le Sib and La Rossi have helped us tremendously. Hopefully you can more of the same.

Ramage is shit, we all know that but replacing him with players like Jonathon Spector won't get us anywhere, we need to be aiming higher than that.

Birminham paid £3 million for Upson and signed him around the same time as we forked out £9 million for Woodgate, he was a far better player than Bramble, O'Brien and Dabizas at the time but unfortunately we didn't have the money for both of them.

Birmingham paid 1M £. Soccerbase, BCFC.

Upson wasn't a better player than Bramble that time, let alone far better.

Also, I am not saying Spector is a far better player, and I have never said that Spector is a solution to our defensive problem. All I am saying is that Spector would represent good value for investment (which we shouldn't miss) as he has prodigee, he is cheap (West Ham bought him for 500k), he is young yet has premiership experience, and he is already better than both Carr and Ramage.

£1 million rising to £3 million with appearances, if you look at Birmingham's site they have £1 million+

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ity/2652803.stm

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder is confident he will be able to bring 'new faces' to St James' Park in the January transfer window, despite conceding the fact it has been a struggle thus far.

Wednesday night's humiliating 5-1 home defeat to Championship side Birmingham in an FA Cup replay merely underlined the fact Newcastle are struggling for bodies, given the unprecedented level of injuries they have had to endure this season.

The treatment room at the North East club has been congested all season and while a number of players are set to return before too long, Roeder accepts that he needs to make inroads in the January window.

Roeder claims that top level players have been targeted, with a plan to bring in players on-loan still very much at the forefront of his mind.

"The players we’ve targeted are of a high quality and the clubs where they are at don’t really want them to leave and are making it difficult for us," Roeder told Sky Sports News.

"Make no mistake about it, before the window closes there will be new faces in here.

"After what happened on Wednesday night I’m not going to panic, I’ll stay true to my beliefs and it was always my intention to find two players who would come in on loan until the end of the season, possibly with a view to signing if they do well.

"If we can’t make a significant signing that we’re targeting in January, that does not mean in the summer we won’t be back in.

"It also buys us time to perhaps unearth some other possible players. What would help now is if those players that have been injured come back.

I quite like the bold bit. If this is your plan then good luck to you Glenn, quality loan-signings could solve our problem temporarily and buy us time. But quality and loan don't come together naturally so if you fail to deliver them you should know that you would have done poorly in this transfer window.

And please, beggar can't be chooser. We can't always insist on qualities. It would be silly to miss out any new player at all because they are not of the highest quality. In the summer you brought in Bernard and Sib on free, and Rossi on loan. We are unlucky with Bernard's injury. But Le Sib and La Rossi have helped us tremendously. Hopefully you can more of the same.

Ok what did I miss? :baby:

Ok what did I miss? :baby:

Nothing.

= SWP

The Sib has helped us out but "la" Rossi?? :baby:

;) I said "But Le Sib AND La Rossi have helped us tremendously." "Le Sib AND Rossi" as a whole :razz:

Technically if I said "Le Sib AND Bernard have helped us tremendously" it is still correct even though Bernard's contribution is minimal.

Back to Rossi. In retrospect I still hold the opinions that the loan deal was a good deal for us (not for Man U). Played a few good games for us, scored a few goals. If Sibierski or Martins were injured we would have a replacement available.

It could have much better if Roeder played him more often instead of the ineffective Milner (as striker) and Ameobi (who was to undergo surgery).

Guest Patrokles

The Sib has helped us out but "la" Rossi?? :baby:

;) I said "But Le Sib AND La Rossi have helped us tremendously." "Le Sib AND Rossi" as a whole :razz:

Technically if I said "Le Sib AND Bernard have helped us tremendously" it is still correct even though Bernard's contribution is minimal.

Back to Rossi. In retrospect I still hold the opinions that the loan deal was a good deal for us (not for Man U). Played a few good games for us, scored a few goals. If Sibierski or Martins were injured we would have a replacement available.

It could have much better if Roeder played him more often instead of the ineffective Milner (as striker) and Ameobi (who was to undergo surgery).

No he didn't!

The Sib has helped us out but "la" Rossi?? :blink:

:angry: I said "But Le Sib AND La Rossi have helped us tremendously." "Le Sib AND Rossi" as a whole :angry:

Not at all, I would have laughed at you because Bernard has not played and I love Bernard so thats complete bollocks!

is there a limit anyone would set on a price for upson or davies ?

They have already rejected what I think is too much for Upson.

Davies is a hard one as I really rate him and would probably be happy for us to spend more than he is probably worth :blink: Say £6m to be safe.

is there a limit anyone would set on a price for upson or davies ?

They have already rejected what I think is too much for Upson.

Davies is a hard one as I really rate him and would probably be happy for us to spend more than he is probably worth :blink: Say £6m to be safe.

i think wba have already turned down £6mill off spurs.