A legend returns.

Optimistic Nut

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whatever happened to Calvin Makongo Zola?

and Offiong... I'm sure I saw his name on SSN last weekend, but cn't recall who he scored for.

whatever happened to Calvin Makongo Zola?

and Offiong... I'm sure I saw his name on SSN last weekend, but cn't recall who he scored for.

:angry:

Hi, I'd like to introduce you to a brand new concept in Message Board practise, it's called a tangent.

:blink:

Poor mans Zola

Much better than Zola, had Signori played in the Premiership, he'd have scored a truck load, Shevchenko = poor man's Signori, more like.

I used to love watching Serie A in them days, the matches were often boring but the big stars always shone like Signori, Batistuta, Baggio, that AC Milan team was awesome, Inter had that Uruguayan, with the white boots, jesus forgot his name, he was a class player though, Balbo I liked him for Roma, I even remember Lazio winning 8-3 once in a crazy game, great saturday morning telly with the legend that is James Richardson, then on sunday the big match and formula one, followed by sunday dinner. Happy days.

Was it not Daniel Fonseca?

There was also Reuben Sosa (think that was the name), but i'm not sure if he was Uruguayan!

That's the one Papa, he was chilean I think, not Uruguayan, he was South American anyway. Fonseca he was another class player Gol, and then there was that Asprilla fella. Parma used to play great football in the mid 90s. What was the Serb player for AC? For the life of me I can't remember his name, he was the Italian football version of Paul Scholes, really clever goalscoring forward type playmaker. He was class too. That Milan team, what a team. I remember watching a game between them and some other team, the pitch was watterlogged, the other team were passing the ball on the deck and kept losing it, Milan played football in the air, to head, chest, thigh, off the deck, what a delight to watch, like head tennis but with their feat, they won 3-0 or something and I remember thinking how advanced they were to any side I'd ever seen. That was their 94 team I think that ended up winning the European Cup against Barca 4-0. Awesome team.

Poor mans Zola

Much better than Zola, had Signori played in the Premiership, he'd have scored a truck load, Shevchenko = poor man's Signori, more like.

I used to love watching Serie A in them days, the matches were often boring but the big stars always shone like Signori, Batistuta, Baggio, that AC Milan team was awesome, Inter had that Uruguayan, with the white boots, jesus forgot his name, he was a class player though, Balbo I liked him for Roma, I even remember Lazio winning 8-3 once in a crazy game, great saturday morning telly with the legend that is James Richardson, then on sunday the big match and formula one, followed by sunday dinner. Happy days.

There was also Reuben Sosa (think that was the name), but i'm not sure if he was Uruguayan!

That's the one Papa, he was chilean I think, not Uruguayan, he was South American anyway. Fonseca he was another class player Gol, and then there was that Asprilla fella. Parma used to play great football in the mid 90s. What was the Serb player for AC? For the life of me I can't remember his name, he was the Italian football version of Paul Scholes, really clever goalscoring forward type playmaker. He was class too. That Milan team, what a team. I remember watching a game between them and some other team, the pitch was watterlogged, the other team were passing the ball on the deck and kept losing it, Milan played football in the air, to head, chest, thigh, off the deck, what a delight to watch, like head tennis but with their feat, they won 3-0 or something and I remember thinking how advanced they were to any side I'd ever seen. That was their 94 team I think that ended up winning the European Cup against Barca 4-0. Awesome team.

Boban was the daddyo for Milan in his playmaking role. Then there was Savicievic as well who is one of the best dribblers I've ever seen, scored a fantastic goal in that 4-0 route as well of Barca. So many great players for Milan around that time.

Poor mans Zola

The Chilean was Marcelo Salas and he was a fucking goal machine at Lazio! :blink:

Can't believe as well when Lazio won that title under Sven that Cragnotti wanted Gazza to go over and be presented with the trophy as he told him he made Lazio what it was.

I liked italian Football at the time,i remeber they had 5 or 6 teams with a chance to win the title every season

The italian league was legendery at the time,too bad that these days major teams in Italy have trouble beating mid table teams here in England (i.e,like Boro defeated an on form Roma last season,etc..)

Poor mans Zola

That's the one Papa, he was chilean I think, not Uruguayan, he was South American anyway. Fonseca he was another class player Gol, and then there was that Asprilla fella. Parma used to play great football in the mid 90s. What was the Serb player for AC? For the life of me I can't remember his name, he was the Italian football version of Paul Scholes, really clever goalscoring forward type playmaker. He was class too.

Ruben Sosa is Uruguayan!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rub%C3%A9n_Sosa

Agree with some of the names mentioned here like Savicevic, Enzo Francescoli etc. Personally one of my favourite players was Gabriel Batistuta.

There doesn't seem to be as many stand out 'star' players these days, not just in the Italian league but other leagues as well. There all much of a muchness IMO

Edited by LooneyToonArmy

Italian football in general is f*cking sh*t. You've got the big 3 of Inter, Milan (ok, poors season this year but they'll be back) & Juventus (once they're back), the rest of them are poor...much worse than the Premiership. The fact Rangers beat Livorno easily and our reserves beat Palermo is a good indication.

Serie A today isn't a patch on what it was and is well behind our league and La Liga, despite some big teams and some fine players playing in it. Italy was always at the forefront of the new game, with the influx of Dutch players for example in the 80s, their own brand of the game went to Italy and coupled with the Italian's discipline and defensive steel out came a new way of playing, hence the great AC Milan team. Today there are no new types of football or footballing revolutions to be had because they've all be done before or have happened in other leagues, none more so than the Premiership which after the influx of foreigners post Sky, has seen it rise to the very top as not only the most entertaining, most lucrative but the most challenging but even then, our own league is fastly becoming stale and in a way is kind of like the old old Serie A, full of boring teams all pretty much even lit up by the stars of the bigger teams.

The best league for unpredictability is La Liga, which has churned out some fine and different teams over the years like Deportivo, Valencia, Villarreal and now Seville. The German league is also a very good league. I personally like the Argentinian league, it is like the Premiership but more interesting.

Italian football in general is f*cking sh*t. You've got the big 3 of Inter, Milan (ok, poors season this year but they'll be back) & Juventus (once they're back), the rest of them are poor...much worse than the Premiership. The fact Rangers beat Livorno easily and our reserves beat Palermo is a good indication.

If you put it that way ,outside of our big top 3 or 4 our league is equally as shit. Ffs Bolton , Portsmouth and Reading and co competing for a Champ league place, Tottenham and Blackburn narrowly missing out on a Champ league place last season. and in recent seasons european minnows beating Everton, Spurs etc...we got knocked out by Troyes (who are nobodys) in the intertwobob cup!! what does that say about our so called 'greatest league in the world' then? The EPL is overrated

Edited by LooneyToonArmy

The German league is also a very good league. I personally like the Argentinian league, it is like the Premiership but more interesting.

Agree about the German league, pretty good to watch too but never gets the publicity/credibility it deserves IMO.

The Argie league is good, bit slow though and if people think the atmosphore of the EPL is 'the greatest in the world' (which is utter nonsense) then they haven't seen some of the South American leagues. The Argies fans are complete nutters though

Would love to see a Boca Juniors vs River Plate game in the Bombanera

The German league is also a very good league. I personally like the Argentinian league, it is like the Premiership but more interesting.

Agree about the German league, pretty good to watch too but never gets the publicity/credibility it deserves IMO.

The Argie league is good, bit slow though and if people think the atmosphore of the EPL is 'the greatest in the world' (which is utter nonsense) then they haven't seen some of the South American leagues. The Argies fans are complete nutters though

Agreed, they make the Shearer testimonial scarf waving (which was magnificent BTW) seem like foam hands, the Argies that is. I tell you what league was shite given the national team and reputation, the Brazilian league, man that league is awful.

Edited by Howaythetoon

I loved Serie A back in the day. Remember some classic games on a Sunday. I remember Inter being 3-1 up on Sampdoria at the San Siro with about 8 minutes to go and losing 4-3. Also remember Milan drawing 4-4 with Lazio.

Anyone remember the last day of the season when Lazio won the league? Pissed down with rain in Perugia I think it was where Juve were playing. They only needed a win. 0-0 at half time. All the Lazio fans watching it in the Olympico as Juve lost and they won the league. Classic stuff.

Some quality players back in the day too. The goalie Rossi at Milan. Ledge. Baresi, Blanc, Signori, Batistuta, Sosa, Scifo, Pagliuca.

Some proper nutters too. Remember a story about Luca Bucci stubbing a cigar out on the Lazio president's face. :blink:

I loved Gazzetta and I'd love to see it back on Channel 4.

Agreed, they make the Shearer testimonial scarf waving (which was magnificent BTW) seem like foam hands, the Argies that is. I tell you what league was shite given the national team and reputation, the Brazilian league, man that league is awful.

It's awful now due to the sheer amateur way the whole thing is run by the Brasilian FA, back in the day it was one of the most competitive leagues going.

Tbh, the league is shit and gets worse every year. :blink:

I have read every post in this thread and not seen one mention of George Weah :blink:

Simply the best CF i've ever seen tbh. Power, pace, great leap, ghreat technique and a clever player to boot. Great dribbler, great scorer and a great in the air. Just f**king GREAT imo :angry:

I have read every post in this thread and not seen one mention of George Weah :angry:

Simply the best CF i've ever seen tbh. Power, pace, great leap, ghreat technique and a clever player to boot. Great dribbler, great scorer and a great in the air. Just f**king GREAT imo :angry:

Him or Baggio are without doubt my favourite players of all time. :blink:

That goal versus Verona is one of the greatest I've ever seen.

Anyone else remember the goal Gazza scored against Pescara I think it was for Lazio?

Poor mans Zola

Completely different players.

Although Zola's so overrated by the English media it's untrue.

True, Zola didn't just score penalties.

:rolleyes:

Poor mans Zola

Can't argue though can you. If you have a look at Signori's record, a hell of a lot of his goals were penalties. He was a good striker, but he's over-rated because he was the "main man" when Italian football became popular in this country.

Zola was (and still is) a far more complete player - a player who could change a game on his own.

Poor mans Zola

Can't argue though can you. If you have a look at Signori's record, a hell of a lot of his goals were penalties. He was a good striker, but he's over-rated because he was the "main man" when Italian football became popular in this country.

Zola was (and still is) a far more complete player - a player who could change a game on his own.

Same can obviously be said of Shearer then.

Zola is over-rated so hugely as well because he played over here, the likes of Baggio, Del Piero and Totti are all far superior to him and that pains me to say Del Piero as I can't stand the fucker as he's also been vastly overrated during his career.