A legend returns.

Optimistic Nut

Poor mans Zola

Completely different players.

Although Zola's so overrated by the English media it's untrue.

True, Zola didn't just score penalties.

:rolleyes:

Can't argue though can you. If you have a look at Signori's record, a hell of a lot of his goals were penalties. He was a good striker, but he's over-rated because he was the "main man" when Italian football became popular in this country.

Zola was (and still is) a far more complete player - a player who could change a game on his own.

Same can obviously be said of Shearer then.

Zola is over-rated so hugely as well because he played over here, the likes of Baggio, Del Piero and Totti are all far superior to him and that pains me to say Del Piero as I can't stand the fucker as he's also been vastly overrated during his career.

Don't know the figures off the top of my head, but weren't 70% of Signori's goals penalties when he finished top scorer (can't remember the season). Was Shearer the same?

Won't disagree about the three players you've mentioned, all better than Zola. Signori isn't in that bracket though.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gol still obsessed with Chelsea I see :rolleyes:

Zola was a fantastic little player but Signori was an awesome player, penalties included. He would have been a revelation in the Premiership. He was the hub of Lazio and much more than a goalscorer, he was a creator and a leader. Probably the best Italian striker for a long while.

Regarding Weah, I didn't rate him so highly, he wasn't as good as he was made out to be in my opinion, I mean Yeboah looked world-class at one stage. I think timing and playing for Milan propelled him higher than his ability did. No different to Sir Les in many respects. I know I'll get slated for that but that's my own personal opinion of Weah. Don't get me wrong he was a fantastic striker but not in the same bracket as Van Basten, Shearer, Batistuta, Ronaldo et al.

BTW never rated Del Piero or Totti that highly (injury played a partt with Del Piero and expectation admittedly), the likes of Paul Scholes pisses on them two. Zola was a class above them IMO.

I loved Serie A back in the day. Remember some classic games on a Sunday. I remember Inter being 3-1 up on Sampdoria at the San Siro with about 8 minutes to go and losing 4-3. Also remember Milan drawing 4-4 with Lazio.

Anyone remember the last day of the season when Lazio won the league? Pissed down with rain in Perugia I think it was where Juve were playing. They only needed a win. 0-0 at half time. All the Lazio fans watching it in the Olympico as Juve lost and they won the league. Classic stuff.

Some quality players back in the day too. The goalie Rossi at Milan. Ledge. Baresi, Blanc, Signori, Batistuta, Sosa, Scifo, Pagliuca.

Some proper nutters too. Remember a story about Luca Bucci stubbing a cigar out on the Lazio president's face. :rolleyes:

I loved Gazzetta and I'd love to see it back on Channel 4.

Gazzetta was a proper football show, and James Richardson is a legend, could never understand why the likes of Sky or the Beeb never tried to poach him. That bloke who does our games on C5 reminds me of him somewhat.

BTW did anyone else used to think it was "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLAZIOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"?

Also does anyone know the music they used to use when they went around the grounds to show the goals of the previous weekend?

I loved Serie A back in the day. Remember some classic games on a Sunday. I remember Inter being 3-1 up on Sampdoria at the San Siro with about 8 minutes to go and losing 4-3. Also remember Milan drawing 4-4 with Lazio.

Anyone remember the last day of the season when Lazio won the league? Pissed down with rain in Perugia I think it was where Juve were playing. They only needed a win. 0-0 at half time. All the Lazio fans watching it in the Olympico as Juve lost and they won the league. Classic stuff.

Some quality players back in the day too. The goalie Rossi at Milan. Ledge. Baresi, Blanc, Signori, Batistuta, Sosa, Scifo, Pagliuca.

Some proper nutters too. Remember a story about Luca Bucci stubbing a cigar out on the Lazio president's face. :rolleyes:

I remember one game, Milan conceeded a penalty. The opposing striker buried in it the bottom right corner and immediately ran to retrieve the ball from the net. Then in act of pointless sheer brutality that pips even Thatcher vs Mendes, Rossi, who hadn't moved, ran to meet him, arm outstretched and pole-axed him across his neck. :blink:

BTW did anyone else used to think it was "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLAZIOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"?

Yeah, and I still did until this post, what was it?

Gol still obsessed with Chelsea I see :rolleyes:

Zola was a fantastic little player but Signori was an awesome player, penalties included. He would have been a revelation in the Premiership. He was the hub of Lazio and much more than a goalscorer, he was a creator and a leader. Probably the best Italian striker for a long while.

Regarding Weah, I didn't rate him so highly, he wasn't as good as he was made out to be in my opinion, I mean Yeboah looked world-class at one stage. I think timing and playing for Milan propelled him higher than his ability did. No different to Sir Les in many respects. I know I'll get slated for that but that's my own personal opinion of Weah. Don't get me wrong he was a fantastic striker but not in the same bracket as Van Basten, Shearer, Batistuta, Ronaldo et al.

BTW never rated Del Piero or Totti that highly (injury played a partt with Del Piero and expectation admittedly), the likes of Paul Scholes pisses on them two. Zola was a class above them IMO.

:blink:

whatever happened to Calvin Makongo Zola?

and Offiong... I'm sure I saw his name on SSN last weekend, but cn't recall who he scored for.

:blink:

Hi, I'd like to introduce you to a brand new concept in Message Board practise, it's called a tangent.

:rolleyes:

Hamilton Academicals I think.

I have read every post in this thread and not seen one mention of George Weah :blink:

Simply the best CF i've ever seen tbh. Power, pace, great leap, ghreat technique and a clever player to boot. Great dribbler, great scorer and a great in the air. Just f**king GREAT imo :blink:

Him or Baggio are without doubt my favourite players of all time. :rolleyes:

That goal versus Verona is one of the greatest I've ever seen.

Anyone else remember the goal Gazza scored against Pescara I think it was for Lazio?

That goal by Weah :blink: The best thing about it was the cool finish from the edge of the box after running the length of the pitch. Saw that game live. Weah was awesome, something akin to Les Ferdinand's power with Shearer's technique.

George Weah was class and a way better dribbler than shearer or sir les.

not quite as good a goalscorer however.

signori was a great little player and had tiny feet (size 5 if i'm correct). great little forward.

He was that. Plus I think he'd have got shitloads of goals if he'd played in the Prem in his prime. KK wanted him when he went to Milan supposedly.