Peter Ramage

alwaysandforever

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps if we took parts from each centre half and put them together we might have a semi decent defender. Bit like Wierd Science but with mediocre players.

Not sure which bit you take from which like.

Probably be alright if we could find someone with a decent football brain.

Perhaps if we took parts from each centre half and put them together we might have a semi decent defender. Bit like Wierd Science but with mediocre players.

Yeah I though that would be the tricky part.

Yeah I though that would be the tricky part.

It's not something that we usually manage to do tbh!

By the way, Toptoon, you're basically saying that we've got a collection of players that aren't good enough, along with some young lads who may or may not make it one day, plus the "awesome" Steven Taylor, and that we should just stick with them. And you're saying the only alternative to this is panic buying an expensive flop.

However I try to look at your argument it just looks like a load of bollocks to me.

Gemmill do you even have an argument/a point/thoughts/a brain ?

Easy to sit back and try (unsuccessfully i might add) to pick holes in someone else's argument without offering positive thoughts on a route forward yourself.

My point is simply this:

1. We are not going to be able to sign a John Terry or a Rio.

2. We 've paid big money for the likes of Boumsong, Shambles and have even brought in experienced Full backs in Car and baba and it hasn't worked out, (failed miserably in fact).

Should we 'A' panic and sign another big money defender i.e. Curtis for £9m who may well turn out to be another flop like Shambles or Boum or should we 'B' let pearson work with the very promising potential, crop of youngster defenders and mould them into quality players? Taylor is our future in defence build round him.

When i put it like this, surely even Gemmill can figure out the right move.

:D That sounds ludicrous to me TOPTOON and please stop using the tabloid nonsense like Shambles - it makes you look thick.

As for moulding quality? Well you can to some extent but having seen some exceptional talent at Newcastle from relatively young players in Waddle, Beardsley and Gascoigne as well as those who proved to be very good players like Andy Cole you are so well wide of the mark in your claims that Taylor is 'awesome'.

He is fortunate that we have fuck all else tbh. Kids tend to buy the hype. It is obvious that you have.

YOu told us that Ramage would be a very good player at centre half and that it wasnt fair to judge him on hi time at fullback. It was patently obvious he didnt have the physical quality to play there at Premiership level.

Taylors fuck ups at U21 level and Premiership level are not infrequent. He is, however, young. The kids simply dont have that obvious quality that the good players mentioned above did have. There isnt a centre half on our books who could kick a young Steve Howey's arse never mind Jonathan Woodgates.

The future is in the transfer market.

If you cant see the obvious flaws in the games of Taylor, Ramage or Huntington then you are misguided in the extreme.

We have had a team of talented kids playing for us before and those kids were light years ahead of the talent we currently have from the academy. (3 of them made the England squad when it was difficult to do so and another did later on) That lot almost got us relegated to the old Third Division.

We need experience and we need pace at the back. The kids provide us with neither of those attributes.

Yes i rate the kids coming through, despite them going through a sticky patch at the moment i think some of them will come good. Unless we can get someone of real quality in i'd work with them as they have real potential imo.

So i take it you go along with others on here saying that, we need an experienced CB in and the kids are no good and they'd preffer to go back to SHAMBLES and Moore??

While i'd geniunely welcolme someone of real quality i.e. Sol Campbell, i'd really question Who is availiable and who we'd be able to get in right now. There's not seemingly an abundance of quality CB's available due to teams not wanting to let go of there better players half way through the season and risk being caught short. Even If there is we have alot of competition to fend off and not just from the big boys anymore, the likes of Villa west ham and spurs have some seriously big money to spend, b'ham are desperate to hang on to Upson and West Ham have just apparently knocked back a bid of £6m, thats alot of money for an injury prone defender.

So tell me who you'd go for and how much we should pay?? (i'm not expecting you to answer this question but fair play to you, if you can).

By the way, Toptoon, you're basically saying that we've got a collection of players that aren't good enough, along with some young lads who may or may not make it one day, plus the "awesome" Steven Taylor, and that we should just stick with them. And you're saying the only alternative to this is panic buying an expensive flop.

However I try to look at your argument it just looks like a load of bollocks to me.

Easy to sit back and try (unsuccessfully i might add) to pick holes in someone else's argument without offering positive thoughts on a route forward yourself.

My point is simply this:

2. We 've paid big money for the likes of Boumsong, Shambles and have even brought in experienced Full backs in Car and baba and it hasn't worked out, (failed miserably in fact).

Should we 'A' panic and sign another big money defender i.e. Curtis for £9m who may well turn out to be another flop like Shambles or Boum or should we 'B' let pearson work with the very promising potential, crop of youngster defenders and mould them into quality players? Taylor is our future in defence build round him.

:D That sounds ludicrous to me TOPTOON and please stop using the tabloid nonsense like Shambles - it makes you look thick.

As for moulding quality? Well you can to some extent but having seen some exceptional talent at Newcastle from relatively young players in Waddle, Beardsley and Gascoigne as well as those who proved to be very good players like Andy Cole you are so well wide of the mark in your claims that Taylor is 'awesome'.

He is fortunate that we have fuck all else tbh. Kids tend to buy the hype. It is obvious that you have.

YOu told us that Ramage would be a very good player at centre half and that it wasnt fair to judge him on hi time at fullback. It was patently obvious he didnt have the physical quality to play there at Premiership level.

Taylors fuck ups at U21 level and Premiership level are not infrequent. He is, however, young. The kids simply dont have that obvious quality that the good players mentioned above did have. There isnt a centre half on our books who could kick a young Steve Howey's arse never mind Jonathan Woodgates.

If you cant see the obvious flaws in the games of Taylor, Ramage or Huntington then you are misguided in the extreme.

We have had a team of talented kids playing for us before and those kids were light years ahead of the talent we currently have from the academy. (3 of them made the England squad when it was difficult to do so and another did later on) That lot almost got us relegated to the old Third Division.

We need experience and we need pace at the back. The kids provide us with neither of those attributes.

Yes i rate the kids coming through, despite them going through a sticky patch at the moment i think some of them will come good. Unless we can get someone of real quality in i'd work with them as they have real potential imo.

So i take it you go along with others on here saying that, we need an experienced CB in and the kids are no good and they'd preffer to go back to SHAMBLES and Moore??

While i'd geniunely welcolme someone of real quality i.e. Sol Campbell, i'd really question Who is availiable and who we'd be able to get in right now. There's not seemingly an abundance of quality CB's available due to teams not wanting to let go of there better players half way through the season and risk being caught short. Even If there is we have alot of competition to fend off and not just from the big boys anymore, the likes of Villa west ham and spurs have some seriously big money to spend, b'ham are desperate to hang on to Upson and West Ham have just apparently knocked back a bid of £6m, thats alot of money for an injury prone defender.

So tell me who you'd go for and how much we should pay?? (i'm not expecting you to answer this question but fair play to you, if you can).

Woodgate in summer, £5m

Its got to be worth a try!

To be fair if we could just replicate Nobby's brain and stick that in Brambles head he'd be fine!

My point is simply this:

<_< That sounds ludicrous to me TOPTOON and please stop using the tabloid nonsense like Shambles - it makes you look thick.

Woodgate in summer, £5m

If only. :D

My point is simply this:

:lol: That sounds ludicrous to me TOPTOON and please stop using the tabloid nonsense like Shambles - it makes you look thick.

Woodgate in summer, £5m

Even though he is one of the most injury prone players i have ever known, he is also the best defender i have ever seen in a black and white strip (in my lifetime). I'd personally probably just take that gamble. However the chance that middlesborough would sell him to us never mind for £5m is nearly nil.

Edited by TOPTOON

However the chance that middlesborough would sell him to us never mind for £5m is nearly nil.

They probably should own him first... :lol:

They probably have first option on making the deal a permenent one, and if they have that then I'd imagine they'd take it up.

However the chance that middlesborough would sell him to us never mind for £5m is nearly nil.

They probably should own him first... :lol:

They probably have first option on making the deal a permenent one, and if they have that then I'd imagine they'd take it up.

Means fuck all if he doesn't want to stay though. Depends on him really.

They probably should own him first... <_<

Means fuck all if he doesn't want to stay though. Depends on him really.

Good points, he'd be with us now then surely if he wanted to be or is its a case of Glenn doesn't want to take the considerable risk on him? I think its actually a bit of both, but if its only one of those reasons the chances of him coming here are very slim.

I'd take a straight swap for Luque right now, but can't see that happening either because of his catalonian roots.

Edited by TOPTOON

Well, we tried for him which suggests we wanted Woodgate (and makes the decision not to go for Campbell all the more puzzling) and he chose Boro. A season there might have changed his mind about staying there though. Where we both finish in the league may be a crucial factor too.