What are you reading?

khay

12 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

@Park Life what sci fi books do you recommend? Been years since I've read any. 

Iain.M.Banks - The Culture Novels. Start with this one. The 'Radch' series (5 posts above) a fascinating trilogy of distributed identity. Also 'The Expanse's series by James.S.A. Corey. Leviathan Awakes is Book One of that series...(There are 7 now).

51y1qROzwrL._SX316_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51hIWWYhTZL._SX317_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently reading, 'Sapiens, a brief history of humankind' by Yuval Noah Harari.

Been a very interesting read so far. Basically homo sapiens have wiped out everything from the get go and would've been a lot happier being hunter gatherers. (It's a lot better than that summary tbh). :lol:

On 25/06/2017 at 8:54 PM, Ant said:

Been meaning to read this for ages, picked it up the other day

51Uqp1kizRL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Nothing to Envy

What's this like @Ant Was on about those radge packets at work the other day and would quite fancy reading this.

As for what I'm reading, just finished On The Road and wondering why it took me this long to read. Some of the prose, especially in Part 4, is masterful.

• 1 month later...

I finished Jerry Stahl's "Permenant Midnight". The bloke is an absolute piece of shit and his 'character' gets worse throughout the book with no redemption.

I suppose that's true of a lot of addicts, his childhood gave the impression it wasn't his fault but after a while you've probably got to stop blaming that when you're in a smack den holding your baby with one arm  & trying to procure heroin with the other.

Anyway - a really good read.

I've moved on to to "The Wind-Up Bird"

Chronicles by Haruki Murakami which is already superb after 9/10 chapters or so.

On 27/07/2017 at 7:58 PM, Ayatollah Hermione said:

What's this like @Ant Was on about those radge packets at work the other day and would quite fancy reading this.

As for what I'm reading, just finished On The Road and wondering why it took me this long to read. Some of the prose, especially in Part 4, is masterful.

Re-read that recently, about 25 years after the first time round. I wasn't disappointed 2nd time round but I found it quite depressing rather than some exciting road trip (or series of road trips and adventures) they're all just a bunch of lost souls chasing some impossible dream really, aren't they? Would recommend Big Sur and The Dharma Bums.

just finished the secret history by donna tartt. i really enjoyed it after a slow start. now reading the steve coogan autobiography, which  i've been chortling out loud to while reading it on the train to work

anyone read i am pilgrim? 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Re-read that recently, about 25 years after the first time round. I wasn't disappointed 2nd time round but I found it quite depressing rather than some exciting road trip (or series of road trips and adventures) they're all just a bunch of lost souls chasing some impossible dream really, aren't they? Would recommend Big Sur and The Dharma Bums.

Aye, I didn't take anything necessarily positive out of it but not sure anyone has ever so beautifully described the chase to get rid of ennui. 

And people say this place is up it's own arse.

I'll have a look at those two, Alex. Been meaning to dig into his other books since I "acquired" his bibliography so I'll hoy them on my Kindle.

Currently onto book four of the Bernicia Chronicles, loving them all so far. Basically it's set in 7th century Britain and is based around the life of one warrior, but also attempts to factor in real life events. So Oswald of Northumbria has quite a prominent role in things at the moment. I'm a proper nerdlinger for anything Anglo-Saxon, so if that's what you like then I can't recommend them enough.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tooj said:

Currently onto book four of the Bernicia Chronicles, loving them all so far. Basically it's set in 7th century Britain and is based around the life of one warrior, but also attempts to factor in real life events. So Oswald of Northumbria has quite a prominent role in things at the moment. I'm a proper nerdlinger for anything Anglo-Saxon, so if that's what you like then I can't recommend them enough.

I'm happy to read owt, but I'm not paying that!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1508995702/ref=tmm_pap_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr=

18 hours ago, Tooj said:

One of my fave rides locally takes me past Marston Moor and I always stop at the memorial there.  Every time I get home I always mean to do some research into it but never do.  So I've just now finally ordered some books!  Nice one @Tooj

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/09/2017 at 7:41 PM, Tyne Bridge said:

Anyone listen to audiobooks? I love a read but like to listen when running. 

Recent recommendations from friends\colleagues have been underwhelming. 

The Alan Partridge books are absolutely class, but you won't be able to listen to them while running.  They're the sort of books that make you look a cunt on public transport by trying to stifle your laughter. 

• Like 1

Almost finished Inverting the Pyramid by Jonathan Wilson. It's so good I feel daft for taking this long to have gotten round to reading it.

Edited by Alex