What are you reading?

khay

He used to drink in The Scrogg as well. Is that still there? Very rarely venture into deepest, darkest Walker since he passed away.

Edit: Me and me Dad me him in the Nelson once too. I doubt that's still there either. It was in Church Walk in Walker. Had a sign up behind the bar saying something along the lines of Smoking of Skunk not allowed, inferring they had no problem with other types of dope being smoked. It was rough as fuck but he was nearly blind by that point and was there purely on the basis it was about £1 a pint.

Edited by Alex

The Scrogg is still there, it burnt down, or rather, it got burnt down. It opened up a few years later, think it's a club now? I only went in once a few years ago. Not sure about the Nelson, (and the missus worked just round the corner, too!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just read of mice and men. Feel like a dick for not reading it before. 6 short chapters and brilliant.

Really should read more of the classics.

Try the Odyssey by Homer. It's a traditional classic and you can't get much older a book. Think of the history.

Nah, 1984, Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth.

Is it normal that people only read 3 books at school? I was in the top band for 5 years ffs.

We had Orwell's animal farm rather than 1984. Suffered both of those Shakespeare books too. Of mice and men too off the top of my head. I'm sure we read a lot more than three.

Nah, 1984, Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth.

Is it normal that people only read 3 books at school? I was in the top band for 5 years ffs.

We did three for o level - Julius Caesar, Oliver Twist and Canterbury tales prologue. Only really enjoyed the Shakespeare. We were left to read the last 400 pages of OT ourselves and I only bothered with one of the final chapters to answer an essay question. I had no interest in knowing how it ended. - I now know what a contrived load of shit it was.

We also did Lord of the flies and my family and other animals in earlier years but can't remember anything else famous.

Just read of mice and men. Feel like a dick for not reading it before. 6 short chapters and brilliant.

Really should read more of the classics.

Read some Hemingway

Been meaning to read The Count of Monte Cristo (unabridged) for ages. For all I love reading I've got a horrendous record for classics, hardly touched any of them. I thought I might ask for it for Christmas in paperback but just downloaded it when I realised the Kindle version was 48p. :lol: Should keep me going for several months.

Been meaning to read The Count of Monte Cristo (unabridged) for ages. For all I love reading I've got a horrendous record for classics, hardly touched any of them. I thought I might ask for it for Christmas in paperback but just downloaded it when I realised the Kindle version was 48p. :lol: Should keep me going for several months.

The Count of Monte Ceisto is one of my favourite books of all time.

• 1 month later...