What are you reading?

khay

I just started reading The Prince by Machiavelli. Quite looking forward to developing a fuller understanding of what the concept means. I'm really under-informed on classical literature so I'm trying to make more of an effort. For Trivial Pursuit if nothing else.

I just started reading The Prince by Machiavelli. Quite looking forward to developing a fuller understanding of what the concept means. I'm really under-informed on classical literature so I'm trying to make more of an effort. For Trivial Pursuit if nothing else.

Recent thinking is that it is actually a satire.

I'm about 100 pages into Wolf Hall. Been meaning to read it for ages as I got it as a Christmas present a few years ago when it won the Booker. Can't help but think of Mark Rylance as Cromwell.

Recent thinking is that it is actually a satire.

Oh really? That's very interesting actually, I'll keep that in mind. Presumably a satire of people who live their lives in such a way?

Oh really? That's very interesting actually, I'll keep that in mind. Presumably a satire of people who live their lives in such a way?

Possibly, there is great debate on it, is it satire or is it a request to be brought back into the Medici fold?

Edited by Kevin Carr's Gloves

Possibly, there is great debate on it, is it satire or is it a request to be brought back into the Medici fold?

Thanks for the insight, then. I guess I'll see what I think come the end of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Naomi Klein - This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate

Hot on the heels of Throwing Rocks at the Google Bus by Douglas Rushkoff.

Pretty depressing pair.  They both outline their own solutions to the economic bubbles that prove catastrophic for the poorest in society and the environmental devastation wrought by an economy predicated on growth. But when you look at the examples cited as being the future they've largely died off already even though the books were only published in the last year or two.

We're fucked.