What are you reading?

khay

Just finished Touching Distance by Martin Hardy. Heartwarming and heartbreaking nostalgia in equal measure. It's absolutely brilliant. A must read for every Newcastle fan.

The Count of Monte Cristo was absolutely fantastic. Real sense of achievement for getting through it and despite a few waffley areas I enjoyed it a great deal. Three Musketeers will be my next "classic", after a few others I should get through a little quicker. Starting with January's book club offering, White Teeth by Zadie Smith.

Read White Teeth a while back. It's alreet but I found I couldn't fucking stand any of the characters in it.

Speaking of weighty classics (not you, CT) I've just started Papillon.

Edited by Alex

Just finished Touching Distance by Martin Hardy. Heartwarming and heartbreaking nostalgia in equal measure. It's absolutely brilliant. A must read for every Newcastle fan.

Nice one mate, I've just got the final chapter to go. Every single chapter has been an absolute gem. Loved the Beardlsey, Beresford and Clarkie chapters last night. It's brilliant to get a feeling for the affinity they all felt for with club and supporters, and the amount of respect and affection they all had for Keegan. What a bloke. I never got to any of the open training sessions back then but I really wish I had after reading some of the description of the training in the book.

I've been to order that so I'll get round to it now. I've just finished reading Elvis Costello's book which is a canny look back at his career and life. He jumps all over the shop but each chapter manages to have some kind of cohesive theme, even when he's jumping from 60s to 90s then back to 70s. You'd assume he would be a good writer from his lyrics but his style keeps it at a brisk pace.

I've just got Volume One of In Search of Lost Time which I'm going to kick off tonight.

• 1 month later...

[emoji38]

Onto the second Dark Tower now.

Did not have a clue what was going on in the first like.

Second one is much better so far.

DAD-A-CHUM!

Look who's back

Funny and clever. Hitler wakes up in 2016 and continues to act like himself. People think he's taking the piss and he becomes a famous reality star.

Kind of like how Katie Hopkins manages to still get in the paper today

[emoji38]

Onto the second Dark Tower now.

Did not have a clue what was going on in the first like.

Second one is much better so far.

DAD-A-CHUM!

Yeah, I enjoyed the second a lot more than the first.

Look who's back

Funny and clever. Hitler wakes up in 2016 and continues to act like himself. People think he's taking the piss and he becomes a famous reality star.

Kind of like how Katie Hopkins manages to still get in the paper today

:lol: Sounds fantastic. Booker-esque.

On a fantasy tip at the moment, read the two King killer chronicles and started on the Sabriel trilogy. Re-read Fucking Hell Its Paul Cannell the other day as well.

i might give the dark tower series a whirl. i've read most of his other stuff though have to admit the premise has never appealed - a scifi, western horror? hmmm

• 3 months later...

Didn't someone start saying in this thread about reading more of "the classics" but not having time to get round to it?.... I've just taken up the baton here and finished "the 39 steps" by John Buchan, which was predictably very good, very short ( attention span not great) and free from kindle store :good:

The book I read before that will surely will am sure one day be held in the same esteem by the global literati, Ray Winstone's account of his East End youth, kneesupmuvvabraaan-tastic :D

Didn't someone start saying in this thread about reading more of "the classics" but not having time to get round to it?.... I've just taken up the baton here and finished "the 39 steps" by John Buchan, which was predictably very good, very short ( attention span not great) and free from kindle store :good:

The book I read before that will surely will am sure one day be held in the same esteem by the global literati, Ray Winstone's account of his East End youth, kneesupmuvvabraaan-tastic :D

The 39 Steps is class, even if it's a bit silly (the best spy books often are). The film is great too. Classic Hitchcock.

"Halma, a world where humans were ruled by a race of effete and arrogant lords; where a neo-feudal system banned all work by machines; where a mock welfare state rewarded painful hand labor with a pitiful dole.Young Ghyl Tarvok was a rebel. In a pirated spaceship, he began his search through the civilizations of the galaxy...'

468008.jpg

"Halma, a world where humans were ruled by a race of effete and arrogant lords; where a neo-feudal system banned all work by machines; where a mock welfare state rewarded painful hand labor with a pitiful dole.Young Ghyl Tarvok was a rebel. In a pirated spaceship, he began his search through the civilizations of the galaxy...'

468008.jpg

BAU