What are you reading?

khay

i'm reading the rules of attraction for the first time. it's brilliantly banal 

Keep meaning to read that. I've only ever read Less Than Zero by him but quite fancied the above as I loved The Secret History by Donna Tartt.

You've got to give American psycho a go. It's not a particularly pleasant read but it's compelling stuff.

Not sure why I've never gotten round to reading more of his books to be honest. I enjoyed Less Than Zero. Proper 80s.

You gave it to me, via Meenz, but - if you remember - I'd already read it. But aye, it's fucking class

Good old days. :)

This is class as well. Has the classic Easton-Ellis backdrop.

Set in 90s Manhattan, Victor Ward, a model with perfect abs and all the right friends, is seen and photographed everywhere, even in places he hasn't been and with people he doesn't know.  He's living with one beautiful model and having an affair with another onthe eve of opening the trendiest nightclub in New York City history. And now it's time to move to the next stage.  But the future he gets is not the one he had in mind.''

51MEZXhEQFL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Mein Kampf and King's "Bazaar of bad dreams" , both are pretty good reads . I really like Bad Dreams, because of kings prologues, before every short story, where he explains why he wrote it, how it wrote it etc.

Seriously it is man, it's real eye opening and there's so many spooky parallels with current affairs, especially Islamic state and the current political movement to the right.

Despite obviously being a fuckin complete nightmare - he was a very intelligent man, if he wasnt such a twisted fucker he could have had equally as good an impact on the world (perhaps).

He was already about half way gone when he wrote this, but he wasn't full Hitler by a long way - it's interesting (to me anyway) to see what drives a man to justify themselves.

Edited by scoobos

Ok cards on the table I did Totalitarian Regimes at history and got engrossed with this stuff.

No-ones born evil . nature vs nurture and all that.

Also, I'm not saying by finding his book a good read that I think hitler was an all round good bloke - but not being open to reading it because of his horror , is also as dangerous as reading it because you think hes a great bloke.

Like I say, you can draw some scary parallels - what he was doing and saying back BEFORE he got power, is not too far removed from what a lot of western voters are voting for today! It sounds moderate until it becomes normal and then its pushed further.

possibly. It was going to happen in Germany anyway, you can't persecute a nation as badly as the league of nations did Germany after the Great war without it going to shit, but I doubt the "alternative" German leader would have had anywhere near the sickness Hitler did.

Yes, I probably would kill baby hitler, unless I could find a way to keep his relationship with his dad sweet and perhaps have him spend a little more time playing instead of reading about french and russian politics.

From what I gather, you could put his whole sickness and views down to a bloody statue in his home town!!

But this is a book thread, not a history one.

Edited by scoobos