What are you reading?

khay

You read 'Generation A' yet by the way Meenz?

I've sort of grown tired of Coupland after jPod and The Gum Thief were so underwhelming, to be honest. Will surely check it out sooner or later though.

You read 'Generation A' yet by the way Meenz?

I've sort of grown tired of Coupland after jPod and The Gum Thief were so underwhelming, to be honest. Will surely check it out sooner or later though.

I know what you mean but this friend of mine reckons it's a return to form. I actually respect their taste in books as well, which is unusual :D I'll let you know what I think if I read it before you do.

Edited by alex

• 2 weeks later...
God Delusion - Richard Dawkins. I think I was an atheist before I picked the book up, but I sure as hell am now

He was promoting his new book (The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution) on Real Time with Bill Maher last week.

Pissed me off that he reduced the wars in the middle east to an entirely religious thing. As if enforcing secularism is a way to bring about world peace.

I'm an atheist, and I'm all for ridiculing religion at every opportunity, but I'll respect anyone's right to be a fucking idiot.

Pissed me off that he reduced the wars in the middle east to an entirely religious thing. As if enforcing secularism is a way to bring about world peace.

It's history and politics as well but when people believe in a divine right to land, it's a bad starting place.

A normal stratgey would be to involve discussion of the history and suggest power sharing - and yes within a secular framework - but neither side would contemplate that which is why they are fucked.

God Delusion - Richard Dawkins. I think I was an atheist before I picked the book up, but I sure as hell am now

He was promoting his new book (The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution) on Real Time with Bill Maher last week.

I'm an atheist, and I'm all for ridiculing religion at every opportunity, but I'll respect anyone's right to be a fucking idiot.

True enough it wouldnt bring about world peace, but I reckon if everyone was an atheist it would certainly help

True enough it wouldnt bring about world peace, but I reckon if everyone was an atheist it would certainly help

I don't think so.

If we were all atheists then we'd still want their oil and they'd still want to break free of our opression.

Just that we wouldn't be able to claim it was an act of christian kindness to set them free, and they wouldn't be able to tell the kids that blow themselves up they'd get their reward in heaven, it'd be restricted to what their family get on earth.

Odd. Haven't read it yet but from the reviews I've read TGSOE was supposed to be a return to Evolution and has very little about religion in it?

As it happens my Mum (a devout Catholic) randomly had a go at Dawkins the other day because someone on Radio 4 had yet again described him as a 'fundamentalist atheist' and 'anti-religious zealot'. Yawn. Of course, she hasn't bothered to read any of his stuff to make up her own mind about him, I get the feeling this is quite typical amongst his critics. He usually strikes me as being entirely affable, polite, and reasonable in his discourse, he's just prepared to comment on a few taboo subjects. Good for him imo, someone has to.

My Dad, on the other hand, read the 'Dawkins Delusion' without even bothering with the original. I can only say this of McGraw's book, it's the saddest riposte I've ever read and can't believe it was published. Every single point (mind, there are few of them) is easily dismantled, and most are purely Strawmen arguments in any case, or argue that Dawkins is ignorant about theology (a non-subject in my eyes). Not to mention the guy is clearly utterly obsessed by Dawkins. If this is the best the 'reasonable theists' can do then Dawkins has 'won' hands down imo.

Odd. Haven't read it yet but from the reviews I've read TGSOE was supposed to be a return to Evolution and has very little about religion in it?

But Dawkins has a lot to say about religion. The book promotion consisted of discussing the most recent 'missing link' they added to the pile a couple of weeks back.

They then went on to discuss the recently convicted American citizens who were planning attacks. Maher said it was guilt over their love of western culture that drove them to do it, Janine Garofalo said it was US foreign policy, and Dawkins said it was religion.

Will Kaufman - The Comedian as Confidence Man

It's for my dissertation on Bill Hicks. Currently reading about Hicks's routine being censored by Letterman.

I see Dennis Leary is advertising Ford these days.

He can only take the Bill Hicks impression so far.

He usually strikes me as being entirely affable, polite, and reasonable in his discourse, he's just prepared to comment on a few taboo subjects. Good for him imo, someone has to.

I found when he was talking to grass roots religious types he can come across as very arrogant and inconsiderate. I feel that as the defacto spokesperson for atheism he should try and temper his zeal as it more often than not masks the message.

I've no problem with his superiority squashing religious-types who've elected themselves as spokes people for their given faith.

He usually strikes me as being entirely affable, polite, and reasonable in his discourse, he's just prepared to comment on a few taboo subjects. Good for him imo, someone has to.

I found when he was talking to grass roots religious types he can come across as very arrogant and inconsiderate. I feel that as the defacto spokesperson for atheism he should try and temper his zeal as it more often than not masks the message.

I've no problem with his superiority squashing religious-types who've elected themselves as spokes people for their given faith.

fwiw I think anyone is entitled to be angry or intense about religion. It is our ancestors response to the unknown and its appearance is reasonable given what was understood back then. Dawkins is the leading voice on asking people to wake the hell up and stop indoctrinating children with their own narrow beliefs. This is probably the point which he is most furious about and I agree. Segregate your children, no matter how wacky your beliefs, force it on them and shove them to the margins of society. For what? Tradition? Heritage? Heaven? Thor has a hammer, your god was nailed to a cross. The whole thing would be hilarious if it wasn't so terribly tragic and embedded in our species forever.

dammit, I have work to do.

Edited by trophyshy

I find it depends on the subject - if its a "how can you be so stupid as to believe in fairies" then it can look "strident" but given his background I think if someone says that evolution is a lie then they deserve abuse.

On the root of all evil in particular people criticised him for his conversation with Ted Haggard but the idiot was in full on "we are not descended from monkeys" mode.

The thing about Dawkins is, he's correct in what he says. Not all the time, like HF alludes to, the trouble in the Middle East has numerous factors, but I honestly find it difficult to take anyone seriously who doesn't share his views on religion in general. It's a fucking joke not to man :icon_lol:

fwiw I think anyone is entitled to be angry or intense about religion. It is our ancestors response to the unknown and its appearance is reasonable given what was understood back then. Dawkins is the leading voice on asking people to wake the hell up and stop indoctrinating children with their own narrow beliefs. This is probably the point which he is most furious about and I agree. Segregate your children, no matter how wacky your beliefs, force it on them and shove them to the margins of society. For what? Tradition? Heritage? Heaven? Thor has a hammer, your god was nailed to a cross. The whole thing would be hilarious if it wasn't so terribly tragic and embedded in our species forever.

Nicely put.

So do I. :icon_lol:

Agreed, I read the end of faith a couple of months back by sam harris. Got a good review from Dawkins also which was partly the reason why I bought the book.

Currently reading The Family, The book written by Jeff Sharlet about the christian mafia. There was a thread about it on here a while back thought it sounded unbelievable so I had to get it and give it a read. Bloody heavy reading at times though

Don't get me wrong, I agree entirely in his motives and in his reasoning. I just think he loses a lot of the target audience when he dismisses that which they've been indoctrinated into from birth as ludicrous nonsense. Even though it is.

A gentler tac of persuasion and logic would, I believe, turn their heads quicker. You back them into a corner, they'll just snarl and spit and dig in their heels.

Save the rage and scowling barbs for those that pontificate and laud it over the grass-roots believers. They're not using religion as an emotional crutch, they're using it to gain power and influence.

Don't get me wrong, I agree entirely in his motives and in his reasoning. I just think he loses a lot of the target audience when he dismisses that which they've been indoctrinated into from birth as ludicrous nonsense. Even though it is.

A gentler tac of persuasion and logic would, I believe, turn their heads quicker. You back them into a corner, they'll just snarl and spit and dig in their heels.

Save the rage and scowling barbs for those that pontificate and laud it over the grass-roots believers. They're not using religion as an emotional crutch, they're using it to gain power and influence.

I think he's actually better off going for the average Joe in the street but for reasons you give. I.e. they're the ones who actually believe it and it's about making them question their beliefs. Not that you'll ever even get a lot of people to do.

I don't think any believers read his books, or want to. The rage is there to entertain those that read his books to have their own anti-religious indignation reinforced imo.