What are you reading?

khay

6 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Just finished the goldfinch. Best novel I’ve read in a long, long time. 

I might give that a go. I loved The Secret History. Just been re-reading the excellent Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit. Must be about 25 years ago I first read it

Finally got around to the last two Margaret Atwood novels and they're typically excellent. I prefer The Heart Goes Last as it has a more wicked sense of humour but Hag-Seed is a fine retelling of The Tempest, even if I do tend to find retellings of Shakespeare boring as sin.

• Like 1

On 30/03/2018 at 07:03, Alex said:

I might give that a go. I loved The Secret History. Just been re-reading the excellent Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit. Must be about 25 years ago I first read it

I enjoyed the secret history. The goldfinch is even better. It’s an epic Bildungsroman - and it’s got the lot: tragedy, comedy, death, drugs, crime, unrequited love. It’s a chunky length but I couldn’t be put it down from the first page and finished it inside a few days. Can’t remember the last time I was so absorbed by a novel.  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Have read up a bit about Alex Supertramp / Christopher McCandless but not actually read Into The Wild or read the book. He seems to divide opinion with some people seeing him as a romantic hero and others and just someone who was clueless about survival and took completely unnecessary risks (a map would've saved him).

https://evaholland.atavist.com/chasingsupertramp

Edited by Alex

On 9/25/2018 at 10:08, Alex said:

Have read up a bit about Alex Supertramp / Christopher McCandless but not actually read Into The Wild or read the book. He seems to divide opinion with some people seeing him as a romantic hero and others and just someone who was clueless about survival and took completely unnecessary risks (a map would've saved him).

https://evaholland.atavist.com/chasingsupertramp

His Sister released a book to say that their Father was an absolute cunt who mentally broke Mcandless during their childhood and that he probably wasn't in a totally fit state of mind 

• 2 months later...

It’s absolute gibberish at times tbf. No structure, loads of ramblings about spirituality, the universe and yoga and random stories in even more random order, sounds like he wrote most of it while coked off his tits. I’m enjoying it nonetheless 

1 hour ago, strawb said:

Did Goldie used to be married to/knock off bjork or have I gone mental? 

Imagine she is a headfuck but there was a time I would have given owt to disappoint her

Nah, you’re right. They were a couple for a while in the 90s. I used to fancy her back then too

• Like 1

Factoid from the biography: his nickname Goldie comes from when he had blonde dreadlocks, he was known then as goldielocks, and not, as you might suspect, because of his gold-plated gnashers. 

Happy Friday