The nurse needs a nurse.

catmag

Okay, it's not like me to have to ask the medical stuff, but just wondered if anyone has had any shoulder probs in the past and can help me out. Basically, my right shoulder joint is knacking. It's become progressively worse over the course of the night and is stiffening by the hour, with the stiffness extending into my neck. It's been a bit of a heavy night at work but I don't recall having pulled/strained/over-extended it at all but it's now at a point where I can't lift it beyond 90 degrees without a lot of pain. I've had diclofenac and co-codamol and they've not touched it.

I don't ask for poorly-ness stuff very often, so has anyone got any ideas? :lol:

Okay, it's not like me to have to ask the medical stuff, but just wondered if anyone has had any shoulder probs in the past and can help me out. Basically, my right shoulder joint is knacking. It's become progressively worse over the course of the night and is stiffening by the hour, with the stiffness extending into my neck. It's been a bit of a heavy night at work but I don't recall having pulled/strained/over-extended it at all but it's now at a point where I can't lift it beyond 90 degrees without a lot of pain. I've had diclofenac and co-codamol and they've not touched it.

I don't ask for poorly-ness stuff very often, so has anyone got any ideas? :lol:

Sounds like you have some severe tension. Happens a lot in the cold weather especially to those prone to shoulder stuff. Get a hot bath maybe use some ibuprofen gel.

How long have been taking the NSAID? Needs a couple of days iirc to build up and reduce the inflammation in the muscle.

If its spinal, try sitting up as straight as you can and pushing your chin backwards towards the spine.

Failing that, get wazzed on class A drugs and booze.

How long have been taking the NSAID? Needs a couple of days iirc to build up and reduce the inflammation in the muscle.

If its spinal, try sitting up as straight as you can and pushing your chin backwards towards the spine.

Failing that, get wazzed on class A drugs and booze.

I only had the NSAID at about 2am so I can have some more now actually. Doesn't feel particularly spinal, but will give the exercise thing a go. Off to bed soon so I'll probably be paralysed down one side when I wake up :razz: If I'm slurring my speech and dribbling food when I turn up later then it was the beginnings of a stroke. I may then need you to go and find me some Class A drugs :lol:

And Scott - I can't. We're short tonight as it is.

Your taking Diclofenac beacuse you've got a bit of a poorly shoulder? Christ you nurses have far too much access to drugs. Wor lass only got that after her C Section after about a day and a half of agony!

Then she wasn't looked after properly. She should have been on Morphine immediately after her c-section. And incidentally, but not that I need to justify it, despite having access to numerous drugs the diclofenac is my own and prescribed, thanks.

My right shoulder has been acting up of late, sore and aches and pains, can't remember landing on it or lifting anything to cause any damage, I'm wondering if its the way I lie when asleep or the cold weather as I sleep with the window open. Either way it hurts and me being a fanny, I don't like going to the doctors so I'm hoping it just fixes itself like a lot of strains and aches seem to do.

Your taking Diclofenac beacuse you've got a bit of a poorly shoulder? Christ you nurses have far too much access to drugs. Wor lass only got that after her C Section after about a day and a half of agony!

To be fair diclofenac is one of the safer NSAIDs and is hardly a restricted drug. But it will take a while to work as Chex Given suggested, and you'll need to take it regularly to have much of an effect, at least for a week or so.

Without you recalling an injury Cath this is a puzzling one. Frozen shoulder comes to mind but for your sake I hope this isn't the diagnosis.

Incidentally, I ruptured my rotator cuff muscles in September. The pain was horrendous, and I am still not completely over it.

Then she wasn't looked after properly. She should have been on Morphine immediately after her c-section. And incidentally, but not that I need to justify it, despite having access to numerous drugs the diclofenac is my own and prescribed, thanks.

So you saying the care given in the RVI is shite then?

Actually, on that was listening to the news this morning about the RVi. Summit about a pregnant lass not being helped and having to walk up to the ward herself or something.

On aches though, I need to sort my back/neck out. Every few weeks I get an ache under my shoulder blade and it gradually spreads to my neck (like a stiff neck which nacks). Im suspecting its my bed but I dunno. Wor lass is an OT as well but reckons there's little a doc could do. Maybe need a physio or a new bed.

As for Caths shoulder, I dunno, Im pretty hopeless on them things.

I've actually fucked my shoulder too. I think it happed when I fell asleep with the bairn lying on it when I was trying to get her to sleep.

It's been like this since the summer but while it hurts, it doesn't really hurt enough to make it seem worth the while going to the doctors.

It's more of an annoyance really.

Incidentally, I ruptured my rotator cuff muscles in September. The pain was horrendous, and I am still not completely over it.

Which muscles are they? Bet you were wanking.

Har har. I was being a hero in goal actually.

I normally get shoulder pains when I've had bad posture all day, usually from sitting improperly.

correct me if I'm wrong but if the base of your spine isn't set properly, the pain isn't local it appears up the top end of your back?

either way I'd suggest get some swarthy bloke to give you a full body massage

always works for me :D<_<

I normally get shoulder pains when I've had bad posture all day, usually from sitting improperly.

correct me if I'm wrong but if the base of your spine isn't set properly, the pain isn't local it appears up the top end of your back?

Have you seen the Simpsons when he goes to the chiropractor who says you need to come and see me 3 times a week forever.

Have you seen the Simpsons when he goes to the chiropractor who says you need to come and see me 3 times a week forever.

Chiropracters are quacks tbh.

Chiropracters are quacks tbh.

Stress can cause back and neck ache. I suffer from that then it usually leads to migraine.

Sounds to me like frozen shoulder Cath, (adhesive capsulitis, for you picky people) The fact you didnt injure or strain yourself makes me think thats what it could be Are you diabetic? Anyway, i sincerely hope its not that, as you know theres not much that can be done and recovery can take a long time.

Poor you having to go into work tonight, its a sad state of affairs :D Hope you get a quiet night.

Sounds to me like frozen shoulder Cath, (adhesive capsulitis, for you picky people) The fact you didnt injure or strain yourself makes me think thats what it could be Are you diabetic? Anyway, i sincerely hope its not that, as you know theres not much that can be done and recovery can take a long time.

Poor you having to go into work tonight, its a sad state of affairs :D Hope you get a quiet night.

Cheers petal. I'm just avoiding doing any lifting or patient moving. There's nothing happening here at the moment but that doesn't say much. Really, really hope it's not a frozen shoulder or I'm fucked work-wise, and no, I'm not diabetic.

Edited by catmag