Glenn's move for defenderJan

David Kelly

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Glenn Roeder is trying to bring a top international defender to Newcastle United in the next couple of days.

The United boss is in negotiations with the central defender's club to get him to Tyneside by the weekend with the view to a loan deal.

But Roeder admitted today there was still some work to be done on getting the player to St James' Park.

He told me today: "We are talking to the player's club and we are hoping they will release him to come here, and we will find out in the next 48 hours.

"We know all about him and his playing record but we still want a look at him with the view to a loan deal until the end of the season."

Roeder and Freddy Shepherd will know that the United fans are bound to be dismayed at a lack of transfer activity, especially when they see the likes of Aston Villa and West Ham splashing out.

But this does not mean that the United hierarchy are not trying to wheel and deal and I still expect a couple of new faces with probably one player going out before the transfer window slams shut again a week tonight.

In a way, Roeder (pictured) has made a rod for his own back with the way he has managed to keep United more than ticking over despite what is accepted as the worst injury crisis in the club's history.

But in my view a permanent signing would give everyone connected with United a big lift and this could still happen.

Last season United did not sign anyone in January and Roeder still managed to take the club into Europe.

And two seasons ago, Graeme Souness's signings in the transfer window were Celestine Babayaro, Jean Alain Boumsong and Amady Faye.

The last two have gone, with Roeder and Shepherd somehow managing to claw back some money from Juventus and Charlton respectively.

And while Babayaro is still here, the Nigerian international left-back owes it to Roeder and the supporters to get back into a black-and-white shirt as soon as possible after his long lay-off, first with a hamstring injury and then with the flu bug.

I find it very hard to believe that any club will let a "Top Internation Defender" go out on loan at this stage of the season.

Guest Patrokles

We got Helder on loan once. Touch of class that lad.

He was canny but I don't think he was ever considered a top international player!

I think "Top international player" in Glenns books means someone that plays for his country.

More Oliver's books than Glenn's, in all fairness.

We got Helder on loan once. Touch of class that lad.

He was canny but I don't think he was ever considered a top international player!

He did have 35 caps for Portugal and was one of their 'Golden Generation' players and played at Euro 96. It was only the horrendous injury that he had that stopped him from getting more. Was disappointed when we didn't sign that lad. Looked solid at the back in the games he played for us.

Guest Patrokles

a lot of people seem to think it dailly.

cant see it myself

Makes sense,West Ham buying defenders and Dailly was fourth choice c-half before Curbishley started buying more defenders.

Doesn't make any sense at all. If it was Dailly, they'd sign him for a nominal fee, not loan him.

a lot of people seem to think it dailly.

cant see it myself

Makes sense,West Ham buying defenders and Dailly was fourth choice c-half before Curbishley started buying more defenders.

Why would we want the fourth choice centrehalf from a team in the bottom three?