Ceiling falls as Mourinho picks on the wrong guy - Times

Rob W

I've edited this down

Ceiling falls in after Mourinho picks on the wrong guy in power struggle

Simon Barnes

José Mourinho is like Michelangelo. They both made the same silly mistake. If either of them had rung me up to discuss it, I could have put them right. But there’s no telling some people. Mourinho and Michelangelo: both self-willed creative people, each, in his own way, an artist, each, in his own way, prone to thinking a great deal of himself. Roman Abramovich is like Pope Julius II. They both did and do exactly what they wanted, and they are both of them powerful enough and self-willed enough to tell anybody in the world to get stuffed. Especially if it’s only some bloody little puffed-up artist.

It’s no good talking about the integrity of your art to a man as powerful as Julius or Roman. You have a choice. You either do as your patron says, or you get stuffed.

Being a successful football manager gives you tremendous fame, and quite a lot of money, but that’s not the same as real money, still less, real power. Trouble is, it gives you this illusion of power. You can tell players to get stuffed, you can tell the press to get stuffed, so you get carried away, and tell someone with real — as opposed to illusory — power to get stuffed. And then you find that they won’t.

Sir Alex Ferguson did it to John Magnier, when they fell out over the stud fees for the racehorse Rock of Gibraltar. Ferguson and Mourinho made the same mistake. They both thought that the difference between ordinary chaps and extremely rich chaps is that one has more money than the other. But it’s not like that. It is nothing to do with fame, like a film star or an athlete or a football manager. These people are not incidentally powerful, power is absolutely central to their natures.

Being rich is not just about being able to buy what you like; it’s about being able to do what you like, and to whom you like.

And so Mourinho and Ferguson both found themselves getting stuffed.

There is a tendency to think that rich people — seriously rich people — who come into sport are mugs, pigeons ripe for the plucking. People tend to forget that if you have made the grade in one area, you are perfectly capable of making it in another.

People who have made serious money are colossally talented. Those who are smart enough to understand the nature and limitations of this talent can turn their hands to new ventures and make a success.

The fact is that after four years in football, Abramovich reckons he knows something about the business.

There is also the point, overlooked by people who concentrate on mere football, that Chelsea have already done what Abramovich wanted. It has transformed him from a person known only to the enlightened few, to a person famous the world over, a process gratifying to himself and no doubt exploited purposefully in business. Abramovich is now a name to conjure with the length and breadth of the financial universe. No one says: who’s he? Not since Chelsea.

Job done. So now maybe he wants to have some fun. Maybe he wants a more amusing team to watch. Maybe he is fed up with being messed about by one of his servants. Maybe he wants a go himself. Maybe he is fed up with being regarded as a silly sod with a bottomless purse. But whatever way he sees it, it’s his call. He is the pope.

Sport always underestimates people who have power outside sport, regarding them as interlopers, people who, because they have no track-record in sport, have no understanding and, therefore, no power. Big, big mistake. The best example of this mistake is Kerry Packer.

The point everyone missed was that Packer was a brilliant and powerful man. Cricket tried to tell him to get stuffed, so he ate it. All cricket. Devoured the lot. The game, ripe for revolution, was never the same again. Packer’s timing was perfect and his plans were stunningly and uncompromisingly executed. It’s all about power. Money is only the symptom of power, pure power is what counts, what gets things done; in sport, as in everything else.

The good news for Mourinho is that there are more books about Michelangelo than there are about Julius II. The artist wins in the end: everybody knows who painted the Sistine Chapel, not many know the name of the pope who told him to do it. But here’s the snag for the artist: he has to die before he wins. Among the living, the powerful always win.

On 5Live the othe night there were some idiots saying how Mourinho was in "a powerful position"

oh aye - against a man with 100% of the shares who made £ 10 billion quid in the Russian oil business and got most of it out.............

I really don't think so ........

On 5Live the othe night there were some idiots saying how Mourinho was in "a powerful position"

oh aye - against a man with 100% of the shares who made £ 10 billion quid in the Russian oil business and got most of it out.............

I think Mourinho's in a great position tbh. Either Abramovich stops meddling or Mourinho fucks off to a huge job elsewhere. The bloke has got the world at his feet and will have his pick of the big jobs - make no mistake, he won't be having to take whatever is available at the time, clubs will dispose of their current manager to install him. IMO.

I think Mourinho's in a great position tbh. Either Abramovich stops meddling or Mourinho fucks off to a huge job elsewhere. The bloke has got the world at his feet and will have his pick of the big jobs - make no mistake, he won't be having to take whatever is available at the time, clubs will dispose of their current manager to install him. IMO.

Except us...he wouldn't understand the Geordie way. <_<

Oh yeah? he's going to be run off from Chelski - and Abramovitch won't give a toss - he can just give the next guy another £ 200 million - and Mourinho will never get that sort of money to play with anywhere else

Mourinho is a little man TBH - and he's lucky that Mr A is such a forgiving type

Some of his fellow countrymen would sort Djose good & proper

Oh yeah? he's going to be run off from Chelski - and Abramovitch won't give a toss - he can just give the next guy another £ 200 million - and Mourinho will never get that sort of money to play with anywhere else

Mourinho is a little man TBH - and he's lucky that Mr A is such a forgiving type

You're not one of these idiots that thinks that as long as Abramovich is there throwing money at it, that they're guaranteed success? Chelsea are the success they are because of money AND Mourinho. Stick another manager in that job and the trophies won't come as easy. It's not just anyone that can join a new league and win it in his first season, and then retain it the next year. If Man United give them a sniff this year he'll win three on the bounce ffs.

I'm no big fan of Mourinho as a man, but he's brilliant at his job, and Abramovich would do well to recognise that before he runs him out of town. As for not getting £200m somewhere else - he didn't need £200m to win the European Cup with Porto, did he?

You're not one of these idiots that thinks that as long as Abramovich is there throwing money at it, that they're guaranteed success? Chelsea are the success they are because of money AND Mourinho. Stick another manager in that job and the trophies won't come as easy. It's not just anyone that can join a new league and win it in his first season, and then retain it the next year. If Man United give them a sniff this year he'll win three on the bounce ffs.

I'm no big fan of Mourinho as a man, but he's brilliant at his job, and Abramovich would do well to recognise that before he runs him out of town. As for not getting £200m somewhere else - he didn't need £200m to win the European Cup with Porto, did he?

But if he did need a bit of referee's help at Old Trafford <_<

Great celebration though. <_<

In all seriousness though Gemmill, I still think he has a little to prove. He has been helped considerably by Roman's money. I'm not sure yet that he'll be able to handle real pressure.

Sure he's won the Champions League whereas say Wenger hasn't but if I had a choice to manage my club I'd take Arsene over him any day of the week.

I'd only rate him 4th at best in this country behind Wenger, Ferguson & Souness. Well OK then 3rd :blush:

I'm not sure that Mouhrino will repeat the success with porto. No other team could afford the players he bought and they still aren't a " great " team. His whining now is only because manure are basically a better team, better motivated and better coached. So are Arsenal and Liverpool, IMO.

Mourinho is a lot more smarter than he's given credit for, the only winner from this is him. Chelsea will never find as good a manager as him, a more media friendly one, one who may play prettier football aye, but I doubt there is another manager out there best equipped to deal with the unique situation that is Chelsea, or strong enough. Mourinho could build a whole dynasty at Chelsea while you suspect after him they will go through a succession of managers ala Real Madrid trying to find that special one, and when they do, sack him at the first sign of trouble anyway. Meanwhile every top club in the world is now licking their lips at the prospect of Mourinho becoming available and although Chelsea have more money than anyone else, they are not a giant of football quite yet and Mourinho WILL find himself a much better job and will go on to more success. Indeed I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mourinho has engineered this himself or deliberately flamed the wars to exercise an exit strategy for himself. I get the feeling he lives for the day to day type management and is in a hurry. If Chelsea don't submit to his demands, he'll find a better job, if they do, he gets what he wants now and knows the club are right behind him. It looks like Chelsea won't be submitting to his demands and aren't behind him wich will in Mourinho's mind make up his mind to leave. Maybe this is just a test to see just how much Chelsea value him, which they clearly don't and it will be their loss, some others' gain - none more so than the man himself. I'd pay £50m to acquire his services when he does leave that's how much he's worth to any team really and I'd hope NUFC would try their damndest to get him even if the idea seems ridiculous because he is the type of manager a club like ours needs if we are to ever find success. We have no chance like, he'll go to Italy.

Edited by Howaythetoon

"a lot more smarter"??

Mourinho is a very good manager

Porto - 2003, League winners with record points total, UEFA cup winners and Portoguese cup winners. Bear in mind he took over a team in 2002 that was not guaranteed European football but he got them to 3rd place.

Porto - 2004, Won the league again and the Champions league.

Chelsea - 2005, Won the league, Carling Cup and lost in semis of cup to a dodgy decision (win some and you lose some I guess)

Chelsea - 2006, Won the league.

Not a bad record really. Jose did note that he was asked to take a position as coach over at SJP when Bobby was here with a view to taking over as manager. He also noted that Bobby couldnt leave football very easily and that it may have been some time until he got his chance.

I think that whilst he has had the benefit of cash he has a record to match anyones in recent times. His time at Porto was exceptional by any standards. Its always amusing to hear MUFC fans whinge about Chelsea splashing the cash when you look at the number of times that they have broken the transfer record and thrown money at buying the title. Its been cash with those fuckers since they nicked bobby Charlton off us with the promise of a houseful of cash.

Never liked that money driven baldy old twat. Jack should have knocked the old fuckers head off. Worth reading Leo McKinstry's book "A story of brothers in conflict". Bobby doesnt come out of it very well at all.

The first bits of the book sum up the sly old fucker - Bobby Charlton claims that Jackie told him to join Man Utd and not Newcastle, however, Brian Glanville told McKinstry "I was once told by Jackie Milburn, with whom I was very friendly, that Bobby was all set to join Newcastle United. The deal was done and dusted and Bobby was going to get a newspaper job. Manchester United ensured it didnt happen. Cissie said to Jackie, I'm sorry but they have offered him £750".

I like Mourinho. He will do well wherever he goes I reckon.

Some interesting opinions here.

IMHO Jose is currently one of the top managers in football and as others have said what he did at Porto and his record at Chelski are testiment to his ability. Just look a Ranieri, who I think is also quite tactically astute but dones't understand continuity, and how he wasn't able to succeed with the filthy oil billions.

When Mourinho parts company with Chelski (and end of this season is my bet) he will fall into another high profile position and also succeed.

As for Chelsea not being able to replace him when he does go, they already have their next manager on Roman's payroll and he is the equal of Jose, possibly better in some ways, as he has proven his ability time and time again with national players - teams you don't get the opportunity to build with funds only what is available - Guus Hiddink.

Think it could be a case of the grass isn't always greener if Chelsea do get rid of Mourinho. Also, it's difficult to see them getting a manager who would bring such instant success and it's difficult to see Abramovich and his advisor's being particularly patient with the new bloke. Could be a period of instability on the horizon for them which can only help Man Utd., Arsenal and Liverpool. I still think they'll be title contenders for the foreseeable future though.

Stats show that THE determinant in how well a football team does is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That explains why we've so much in the last 15 years then.