Luques performance today.

Ugly Mackems

Litmanen was a top player as well.

Agree with both of you, you and PL, top players would work at it and make it work, Owen and Bellamy would have been top class, you just play to their strengths and the opposotion would always need 2 players plus a covering player to look after them.

For instance it always pisses me off when we do something like bring everyone back for corners and free kicks etc. You are conceding ground to the opposition and helping them to keep you in your own half. When we had Bellamy the opposition always needed 2 players to stay back and mark him, with Owen and Dyer they would need 3. They are always vulnerable to a quick ball out, it gives you a terrific advantage to have players that can turn defenders like that and enables you to gain ground and open space, it's so basic. Putting pressure on teams is all about forcing them backwards, keeping the ball and stopping them from attacking you in their own numbers. The top teams do it. We did it under Keegan. Teams would have been shit scared of Owen and Bellamys pace.

23718[/snapback]

On corners, good observation. I think we should leave thje quickest attacker up top plus a wide man as those two areas of the field are going to be the areas the ball will go to if cleared in that way. Spot on, we could also work on throw-ins too. In fact set pieces in general, at both ends. That's been a weakness of ours since Dalglish's days.

As for the pace of Owen and Bellamy, a frightening thought.

I backed the club over Bellamy and still do but I do wonder what he's thinking right now because I'm sure he would have loved to play alongside the quality of Emre, Luque, Parker and Owen and it would have been a treat for us lot too.

Ah well.

23727[/snapback]

I think only negative, frightened managers get their teams to do this ie bring everyone back. It's also about giving players confidence, you should make them feel you have confidence in them. The thing is also, the wide areas of the field is always where there is more space, so if your defenders know you have 1 or 2 players up front, and they place themselves in wide areas, you can clear the ball into either of those areas and if your players have pace they will be waiting for it, the opposition will know this, and the oppostion will have to tailor their game to accordingly. You are pushing them back, easily. Equally, a top player up front like Shearer will shield the ball just the same in the middle of the pitch, but the principle is the same, it's a numbers game, and a basic tactical one, and you are showing a positive attitude and transmitting to the players you have confidence in them. I'm amazed at the amount of teams I see bring everyone back. You are conceding ground and the psychological initiative I think.

Push 2 players up when you defend a corner and force 3 opponents back, or bring everyone back and allow them 10 players in your half ! It's not difficult is it, yet so called professionals do it, and "expert" ex pros like Alvin Martin on sky TV phone in's say that only professionals know the game.

Maybe the fool should cast his eye at the managers of the 3 top teams in the country, Mourhino, Ferguson and Wenger. One didn't play the game, one was a Ranger reserve and the other was a minor player in the low leagues in France.

Football isn't about complicated tactical systems...it's just good players getting the ball, then passing, moving, respecting their teammates strengths and weaknesses, believing in their own ability and tailoring and adapting to the small strengths and weaknesses of the opposition on a match by match basis.

Edited by LeazesMag

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been saying it for ages to the bloke that sits next to me at the match, short players don't really have a purpose when the ball is lofted to the box and if they are quick get a couple of them on the halfway line

Litmanen was a top player as well.

Agree with both of you, you and PL, top players would work at it and make it work, Owen and Bellamy would have been top class, you just play to their strengths and the opposotion would always need 2 players plus a covering player to look after them.

For instance it always pisses me off when we do something like bring everyone back for corners and free kicks etc. You are conceding ground to the opposition and helping them to keep you in your own half. When we had Bellamy the opposition always needed 2 players to stay back and mark him, with Owen and Dyer they would need 3. They are always vulnerable to a quick ball out, it gives you a terrific advantage to have players that can turn defenders like that and enables you to gain ground and open space, it's so basic. Putting pressure on teams is all about forcing them backwards, keeping the ball and stopping them from attacking you in their own numbers. The top teams do it. We did it under Keegan. Teams would have been shit scared of Owen and Bellamys pace.

23718[/snapback]

On corners, good observation. I think we should leave thje quickest attacker up top plus a wide man as those two areas of the field are going to be the areas the ball will go to if cleared in that way. Spot on, we could also work on throw-ins too. In fact set pieces in general, at both ends. That's been a weakness of ours since Dalglish's days.

As for the pace of Owen and Bellamy, a frightening thought.

I backed the club over Bellamy and still do but I do wonder what he's thinking right now because I'm sure he would have loved to play alongside the quality of Emre, Luque, Parker and Owen and it would have been a treat for us lot too.

Ah well.

23727[/snapback]

On that topic too mate, I remember Barry Ferguson after playing for Rangers against Celtic last season...he said how great it would be to have a forward like Bellamy in your team, easy to find, always looking for space, a midfield players dream. He thought he was brilliant.

So I'm sure that if Bellamy was still here all the new players would have felt the same about him !

Not going to judge the bloke on one game, but if Luque has been signed because he's is able to tackle like Dave Mackay and work like a trojan, while still creating and scoring more goals than the rest of the midfield put together, I think many people are going to be disappointed.

Not going to judge the bloke on one game, but if Luque has been signed because he's is able to tackle like Dave Mackay and work like a trojan, while still creating and scoring more goals than the rest of the midfield put together, I think many people are going to be disappointed.

25226[/snapback]

Indeed. For being realistic, read "frothing at the mouth and making wild accusations of not giving someone a chance to show they are the 8th wonder of the world"