HD Home cinema system

smudger

After recently upgrading my Tele for one of these

kdl-46w2000_headon_im_UK1080HD.jpg

and having Sky HD installed yesterday Im thinking about upgrading my old Sony Home cinema

B00006BS2R.02._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056719346_.jpg

for an newer HD one to get the most out of the tele. Having done a bit of research though it would seem that nobody is making any HD home cinema systems? Surely this cant be true. Is there such a thing yet? If yes is it worth waiting until the Blu Ray and HD disc fight is sorted out.

Cheers

Edited by smudger

don't you just mean a HD DVD player?

wtf has HD got to do with surround sound?

Im after a High Definition DVD Home Cinema System. Surround sound has nothing to do with HD other than I want a home cinema system that does both. :blink:

Edited by smudger

Well I managed to get the Samsung DVD-HD850 off Ebay (brand new) for £46 with no postage as the seller lives 2 miles away from me. Am going to pick it up tonight. :)

The good thing about it is its got an optical output as well so I can connect to my Sony surround sound if I want to get 5.1 whilst watching upscaled DVD's. Result!

SAMSUNG-DVDHD850.jpg

:blink:

Edited by smudger

HD DVD uses Dolby Digital Plus which can be 7.1 channels if deemed necessary.

If you have the cash, the best options is always getting a seperate player/amp/speakers rather than an all-in one kit as you have more freedom for upgrading.

If you have the cash, the best options is always getting a seperate player/amp/speakers rather than an all-in one kit as you have more freedom for upgrading.

A lot of people have said this to me but not knowing about this sort of thing has always put me off getting a separate amp etc etc. Also although I want 5.1, good sound etc etc Im not sure that spending loads on a quality separate amp and speaker set up is necessary as I dont want a system thats too good for my needs if you see what I mean.

ON the verge or procuring

Infocus IN76 HD projector

6ft Motorised Screen

Yamaha RXV1700 AV receiver and DVDS1700 DVD player

Kef 3005 Speakers

Gonna be sweeeeet

BTW projector and screen way cheaper than a big plasma or LCD

Edited by Toonpack

6ft Motorised Screen

Kef 3005 Speakers

Gonna be sweeeeet

Bit late for me. Ive already bought me HD tele. Im very happy with it. Major spate of burglaries round near me where houses and schools are being broken into for their projectors and then theyre being flogged on to pubs etc. :unsure:

6ft Motorised Screen

Kef 3005 Speakers

Gonna be sweeeeet

Bit late for me. Ive already bought me HD tele. Im very happy with it. Major spate of burglaries round near me where houses and schools are being broken into for their projectors and then theyre being flogged on to pubs etc. :unsure:

Well any burgler who manages to get mine will need a stepladder as it's to be ceiling mounted, disarm the alarm and avoid the dogs, if they manage that they'll deserve their ill gotten gains

Edited by Toonpack

A lot of people have said this to me but not knowing about this sort of thing has always put me off getting a separate amp etc etc. Also although I want 5.1, good sound etc etc Im not sure that spending loads on a quality separate amp and speaker set up is necessary as I dont want a system thats too good for my needs if you see what I mean.

Separates are the only way to go.

Doesnt have to be expensive either - though it will when you get the upgrade bug.

Ive recently upgraded my speakers from monitor audio studio 20se's to a pair of celestion a3's.

Am now looking for a better pre amp.

Well I managed to get the Samsung DVD-HD850 off Ebay (brand new) for £46 with no postage as the seller lives 2 miles away from me. Am going to pick it up tonight. ;)

The good thing about it is its got an optical output as well so I can connect to my Sony surround sound if I want to get 5.1 whilst watching upscaled DVD's. Result!

SAMSUNG-DVDHD850.jpg

:unsure:

apart from the Samsungs add edge enhancement to everything. If youre bothered about picture quality then it'll piss you off no end

Well I managed to get the Samsung DVD-HD850 off Ebay (brand new) for £46 with no postage as the seller lives 2 miles away from me. Am going to pick it up tonight. ;)

SAMSUNG-DVDHD850.jpg

apart from the Samsungs add edge enhancement to everything. If youre bothered about picture quality then it'll piss you off no end

Edge enhancement is encoded within the film transfer not part of a dvd players software.

http://www.videophile.info/Guide_EE/Page_01.htm

SAMSUNG-DVDHD850.jpg

Edge enhancement is encoded within the film transfer not part of a dvd players software.

http://www.videophile.info/Guide_EE/Page_01.htm

many TVs and DVD players add their own edge enhancement too. Its one of those nifty little processing effects that no one actually wants.

Edited by luckypierre