Gooch signs - Official

Scottish Mag

Because I'm in a generous mood, one for Meenzer:

gooch.jpg

:D

:D

Oooo, hello ;)

:unsure: About time we started to even up the Ugly Gap in the squad. Reckon we can still farm Milner out to Villa? :D

liverpool win the award for ugliest collection of forwards in the premiership.

not an oil painting among these 4:

27369.jpg

fowl-2-04-03.jpg

crouch.jpg

1155805245Kuyttransferstoliverpool.jpg

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

GOOD BIT OF INFO FROM NUFC.COM

Stars in stripes

The arrival of Oguchi Onyewu to Tyneside means that he will become the first full USA international to play for us - but by no means the first American on our books:

Brad Friedel - Born in Lakewood, Ohio and signed by Kevin Keegan in 1994, this 'keeper was never able to appear for our first team due to our inability to gain a work permit for him.

Jimmy Crawford - although brought up in Dublin and signed by the Magpies from Bohemians in 1995, this midfielder was actually born in Chicago, Illinois.

Giuseppe Rossi - Our now-departed loan striker from last year hails from Clifton, New Jersey, although he chose to accept an U21 international callup from Italy, his father's native land.

GOOD BIT OF INFO FROM NUFC.COM

Stars in stripes

The arrival of Oguchi Onyewu to Tyneside means that he will become the first full USA international to play for us - but by no means the first American on our books:

Brad Friedel - Born in Lakewood, Ohio and signed by Kevin Keegan in 1994, this 'keeper was never able to appear for our first team due to our inability to gain a work permit for him.

Jimmy Crawford - although brought up in Dublin and signed by the Magpies from Bohemians in 1995, this midfielder was actually born in Chicago, Illinois.

Giuseppe Rossi - Our now-departed loan striker from last year hails from Clifton, New Jersey, although he chose to accept an U21 international callup from Italy, his father's native land.

Would've been great if we'd managed to get a permit for Friedel.

I wonder what Jimmy Crawford is up to these days.... He could probably be a decent squad player for my local club. :unsure:

Yank on another board I post on has posted this for us:

I wouldn't be shocked if he was ur best centre-half at season's end. I also like what Newcastle did here. They loaned him for the rest of the season and have an option to outright sign him over the summer if things work out.

Now as a player gooch is not slow like someone said who referred him to Hyppia. He's got great top speed and pace but like anyone his size he lacks alot of acceleration.

He will get called for alot of fouls because players can't help but get knocked down by his absolutely mammoth size. The fouls are going to be a problem but as he's matured he's done a better job of avoiding fouls. He got carded often in his early career at liege.

With that said his athletic ability is probably top 10 in the prem. He's great in the air, has good man-marking skills and better than expected touch. His performance against Jared Borgetti in the qualifier versus Mexico was absolutely legendary.

As a player he's comparable to the brazilian Alex on PSV but with a higher talent-ceiling.

Yank on another board I post on has posted this for us:

I wouldn't be shocked if he was ur best centre-half at season's end. I also like what Newcastle did here. They loaned him for the rest of the season and have an option to outright sign him over the summer if things work out.

Now as a player gooch is not slow like someone said who referred him to Hyppia. He's got great top speed and pace but like anyone his size he lacks alot of acceleration.

He will get called for alot of fouls because players can't help but get knocked down by his absolutely mammoth size. The fouls are going to be a problem but as he's matured he's done a better job of avoiding fouls. He got carded often in his early career at liege.

With that said his athletic ability is probably top 10 in the prem. He's great in the air, has good man-marking skills and better than expected touch. His performance against Jared Borgetti in the qualifier versus Mexico was absolutely legendary.

As a player he's comparable to the brazilian Alex on PSV but with a higher talent-ceiling.

I would think he'd get called less in the premiership than in belgium(what's belgian football like anyway)?

lets hope he can hold the ball up the field or can score a goal or two when we are fighting a desperate rearguard action ......... ;)

Maybe he can take Martins place if he pisses off to play for his country too :D

Same old, same old... :unsure:

maybe, but do you agree or not ?

Leazes man, nobody agrees.

in that case, you are all wrong.

While a defender is welcome, by far the biggest difference would be made by bringing in a partner for Martins to hold the ball and keep possession of the ball further up the field. Without even going into what we will do if martins is hurt or pissess of to play for his country.

lets hope he can hold the ball up the field or can score a goal or two when we are fighting a desperate rearguard action ......... ;)

While a defender is welcome, by far the biggest difference would be made by bringing in a partner for Martins to hold the ball and keep possession of the ball further up the field. Without even going into what we will do if martins is hurt or pissess of to play for his country.

Who needs defenders when you can keep the ball in the final third for 90 minutes by packing the side with strikers. Brilliant.

We never fight desperate rearguard actions. They just look desperate because the centre of defence is shit.

you haven't noticed how we give the ball away up front then :unsure:

To be honest, I'd rather we give it away 20 yards from their goal than 20 yards from our own goal. Birmingham much?

I would rather keep it in the opponents half than our own

Who needs defenders when you can keep the ball in the final third for 90 minutes by packing the side with strikers. Brilliant.

Well, as you said we should keep Souness and back him to the hilt, I didn't expect you to see our problems lie in keeping possession of the ball while moving forward despite you having watched the team all season.

Once blind, always blind :D

Well, glad Roeder knows what he's doing in the sense that he's identified an area we need strengthening and brought a body in. Doubt he's got much money so a striker (unless a loan deal) wasn't going to arrive and he's probably been looking to try and bring in a left-back too. Just depends what this lad is like. A big commanding centre-half could potentially make a massive difference to what we do between now and the end of the season and to rely on (mainly) the young kids in the centre of defence would have been complete folly imo.

Long overdue cd signing.

We never fight desperate rearguard actions. They just look desperate because the centre of defence is shit.

you haven't noticed how we give the ball away up front then :unsure:

To be honest, I'd rather we give it away 20 yards from their goal than 20 yards from our own goal. Birmingham much?

I would rather keep it in the opponents half than our own

Have you ever watched Chelsea? Or Man United? Or Arsenal?

You do talk shite man. Arsenal get caught on the break more than any team in the league, but they have some quality at the back to deal with it.

I'd rather our strikers do more than take the ball into the corner and sit on it tbh

LM blatantly in the "If you score 4 we score 5" camp tbh

If we did that regularly a la the Keegan years,i think we'd all be happy.

We NEVER did that in the Keegan years tbh. Myth.

The style of Keegans teams was attack is the best form of defence,gung-ho football.Ok we didnt win 5-4 every week,but even the defenders Kev bought had flair,imagination and plenty of attacking qualities,apart from Peacock.We attacked from the back,thats why we were labelled the Entertainers.

The style of Keegans teams was attack is the best form of defence,gung-ho football.Ok we didnt win 5-4 every week,but even the defenders Kev bought had flair,imagination and plenty of attacking qualities,apart from Peacock.We attacked from the back,thats why we were labelled the Entertainers.

...and didn't conceed many goals.

...and didn't conceed many goals.

Exactly,they couldn't score if we were always in their area could they?But we were susceptible to lapses at the back occasionally,and lack of top quality keeper to bale them out cost us at times.