Magpies aim to Piq up striker

janu

Magpies aim to Piq up striker

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder has confirmed his intention to land French striker Frederic Piquionne on loan from St Etienne.

The forward has been one of the most talked about players during January's transfer window, as the likes of Lyon, Paris Saint Germain, West Ham, Tottenham and Real Betis have all been credited with an interest.

Les Verts made a strong attempt to retain the services of the forward, but Piquionne made it clear that he fancied a new challenge.

It would appear that the forward is set to get his wish, with Newcastle jumping to the head of the chase.

Roeder is striving to beef up his squad and he has confirmed the club are looking to secure a loan deal with St Etienne.

Standard Liege defender Oguchi Onyewu is also a target and Roeder said: "We want to take Onyewu and Piquionne on loan and we are now waiting for permission for their clubs to do so."

Newcastle have been strongly linked with a move for Ryan Babel, but it remains to be seen if a deal is pushed through with Ajax following the news of the interest in Piquionne.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?HLID=4...=rss&clid=4

piquionne-hands.jpg

He is 1.88m tall, weighs 77kg and wears the number 9 shirt. His qualities are his speed, and technique, but positioning, heading and tactical sense are his weak points.

In total, he has played 138 matches in the first division and scored 33 goals.

:unsure:

Edited by Fancy Dan lecturer

Guest Patrokles

By all accounts, he creates a huge amount of chances for his partner, which is what we need for Martins. Beardsley and Cole was a pretty handy partnership.

By all accounts, he creates a huge amount of chances for his partner, which is what we need for Martins. Beardsley and Cole was a pretty handy partnership.

Well, then we only have to teach Martins composure and not only to score 30 yard wonder goals...

Didn't Baggio say that Martins is best when playing off a classic centre forward?

Well, then we only have to teach Martins composure and not only to score 30 yard wonder goals...

Didn't Baggio say that Martins is best when playing off a classic centre forward?

The Martins-Vieri partnership was very good. Doubt Frederic Piquionne is a permanent solution. Personally I would've prefered Julio Cruz from Internazionale, as he's a centre forward in the Vieri-mould, plus him and Martins know each other well from the time in Italy.

He's only scored about 3 in his career that fits that description, he's pretty good in the box but we just don't seem to create anything.

I don't remember saying that, I did say he's better playing off the main goalscorer as he has less pressure on him, he seems to find himself more space in this position too.

Guest Patrokles

Martins isn't in the target man mould, though. If he were more clinical right now, a la Owen, then we wouldn't need to be creating more chances for him. But as things stand, the more chances we create for him, the better. We need someone alongside him to create the chances, rather than someone to finish any chances that he creates.

We could be on the verge of getting a defender and a striker,what more dya want?

A top quality left back and these two i'd be happy enough with. Very shrewd move by Roeder and Fred if they gets them both on loan basis with 'no strings'. We can give them back if they don't look up to it :unsure: !! Unlike a certain scotsman i could mention, that spunked the best part of £20m on Boumsong and Luque not to mention nearly that again on Owen which is the reason we are a bit skint at the mo. ;)

Where's the LB though???

Optimistic Nut seems to rate him from his time living in France, he was spot on about Zokora being overrated so I'll trust his judgement on this one.

He also wanted to put a tenner on Baros finishing topscorer at Euro 2004. :unsure:

Guest Patrokles

We could be on the verge of getting a defender and a striker,what more dya want?

A top quality left back and these two i'd be happy enough with. Very shrewd move by Roeder and Fred if they gets them both on loan basis with 'no strings'. We can give them back if they don't look up to it :unsure: !! Unlike a certain scotsman i could mention, that spunked the best part of £20m on Boumsong and Luque not to mention nearly that again on Owen which is the reason we are a bit skint at the mo. ;)

Where's the LB though???

If there are no decent LBs available in the window, then we're not going to sign one for the sake of it, which is a stance I applaud.