toonarmyusa.com on Onyewu

Scottish Mag

We ask Will Beddingfield, long time ToonArmyUSA member and soccer coach on his thoughts of signing Oguchi Onyewu.

- Will - tell our readers who you coach for and how long you’ve been in soccer coaching?

Currently, I am coaching for the Twin CIty Youth Soccer Association after having spent the past 15 years coaching collegiate football. I started out in 1992 when I graduated college coaching at my alma mater, Carson-Newman in Tennessee, for the women's team, and assisting with the men. From there I moved to Greensboro College in Greensboro, NC. That is where I helped train current Blackburn defender Ryan Nelsen while he was playing for two years with us. I then was able to be an assistant coach with the Carolina Dynamo men's professional team in Greensboro for three years. We were the equivalent of a League One side in England. After that, I was on to Lenoir-Rhyne in Hickory, NC, for the past seven years where I was coaching the women's side.

- When did you first see Newcastle ’s latest target Oguchi Onyewu play, how old was he and what were your first impressions?

I saw Gooch play at Clemson University when he was a sophomore. He was about 20 at the time and had been playing on the US U-17's and earned a place in the FIFA World Youth Championships, playing every minute of every match. He as about 6-2 and 180-190 at the time. My first impressions of him was that here was a young lad who commanded the entire back line. He was intimidating not just because of his size, but because of his ability to organize and anticipate the game around him. He was quite possibly one of the best central defenders I had seen at the collegiate level in the US. Clemson is a quality side and one of the most successful programs in the country, so it was no wonder that he progressed so quickly out of the collegiate game and into the professional ranks after his second year in school.

- How would you rate Oguchi Onyewu compared to our current defenders?

I would rate him as someone who could come in and find a spot in the central defense immediately. He reminds me a lot of Woody, but with a bit more athleticism. So, to answer the question, I don't see anyone who could currently be compared to Gooch on our squad. He is a Titus Bramble with football ability, if you had to stretch it.

- What advice would you give to Roeder related to Oguchi Onyewu?

SIGN THE BOY! He is young, hungry, quality. If Roeder is intent on building his side around quality younger players, then this is a no-brainer. He reminds me of Rio Ferdinand when he was breaking into his form when moving to Leeds. He has become stronger and taller over the past few years, topping out at 6-4, 210 lbs. He wins EVERYTHING in the air. What's not to like about him?

- We hear that Oguchi Onyewu was born in DC – what was his route to playing European football in Belgium with Standard Liège?

Onyewu signed with FC Metz in France in 2002, but wasn't allowed to play until his work visa had cleared. Seeing little time, he was loaned out to Belgian side Louviere for the remainder of the season. After a coaching change at Metz. he was loaned out again the next season to Standard Liege where he began to show his worth. It was from there that he was signed on a permanent contract with Liege. While there, he was voted as the best defender in Belgium for the 2005-06 year, and caught then US manager Bruce Arena's eye to be brought into the full US men's national team.

- A lot of North Americans have prospered in the EPL (McBride, Stalteri, Radzinski, etc) – does Oguchi Onyewu have a chance to succeed in the EPL?

I feel he does. He brings that hard-working mentality that North Americans are famous for. Where we don't always have the quality of touch that a lot of other players do from other countries in the world, you can always count on us to works our socks off for whatever side we are playing for. I think he proved his worth in this past summer's finals where, by all rights, the US was the crap performance of the tournament. Eventhough his team was a disaster, he stood tall and held the line when the entire world seemed like it was crashing down on him. I feel this places him in direct line with the defenders that are currently employed by the club. They are dealing with difficulties and have tremendous pressure on the match in and match out. So, we can be assured that given the opportunity, Gooch will stand and be counted. A sure hit with the Toon faithful.

- Do you have anything else that you would like to add about Oguchi Onyewu?

He's definitely worth the quid. A young, quality footballer that we wouldn't have to splash out the millions we would should we try for someone of a bit older age and experience. He is a great INVESTMENT in the future of the club, and a fan favorite in short time.

Will Beddingfield

North Carolina

He reminds me a lot of Woody, but with a bit more athleticism.

i.e. completes 90 minutes regularly

He is a Titus Bramble with football ability

what would Titus be without his football ability

A lot of North Americans have prospered in the EPL (McBride, Stalteri, Radzinski, etc)

some fine North American surnames there :unsure:

He brings that hard-working mentality that North Americans are famous for. Where we don't always have the quality of touch that a lot of other players do from other countries in the world, you can always count on us to works our socks off for whatever side we are playing for

A PROPER player

He brings that hard-working mentality that North Americans are famous for. Where we don't always have the quality of touch that a lot of other players do from other countries in the world, you can always count on us to works our socks off for whatever side we are playing for

A PROPER player

I know you're only messing, but it's not to be sniffed at tbf. One thing that shouldn't be an issue is effort and work-rate, which is a good part of the battle with a lot of players.

A lot of North Americans have prospered in the EPL (McBride, Stalteri, Radzinski, etc)

some fine North American surnames there :unsure:

I'm always impressed by McBride... terrific finisher.

Guest Patrokles

some fine North American surnames there :angry:

Best header in the Prem imo.

Not now that we've signed GOOCH!

some fine North American surnames there :angry:

Best header in the Prem imo.

I would have signed him on a short-term contract if he was prepared to leave Fulham. Miles better than Le Sib.