Glenn - I still want a striker

Scottish Mag

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsD...~973120,00.html

GLENN Roeder is still hopeful of bringing a striker to St.James' Park before the transfer window closes at midnight on Wednesday.

Having secured the loan signing of American centre-back Oguchi Onyewu, the United boss is keen to further bolster his ranks with the addition of a frontman.

Speaking after welcoming Onyewu to Tyneside, Roeder said: "I know we're cutting it find but I'm hopeful that we can get a striker in.

"If I can get the player I'm trying to get I'm sure he would be an excellent addition to the squad, but that's very much in the balance at the moment."

The Magpies' chief refused to be drawn on who his target is, but United continue to be linked with French striker Frederic Piquionne. The 28-year-old currently plies his trade in the French top flight for 5th palced St.Etienne.

Roeder admitted that January has been a difficult period and that he has spent most of the month on his mobile phone, desperately trying to bring new faces to Tyneside.

He added: "I'm already onto my second phone having worn the first one out.

"It's been a tough month for everyone and not just me, there haven't been many big transfers.

"Perhaps the biggest came at Aston Villa with Ashley Young's signing, but there is no deal I look at where I feel we have missed out.

"The fans are right to be clambering for signings but it's been difficult and we don't want to make mistakes."

GLENN Roeder is still hopeful of bringing a striker to St.James' Park before the transfer window closes at midnight on Wednesday.

Having secured the loan signing of American centre-back Oguchi Onyewu, the United boss is keen to further bolster his ranks with the addition of a frontman.

Speaking after welcoming Onyewu to Tyneside, Roeder said: "I know we're cutting it find but I'm hopeful that we can get a striker in.

"If I can get the player I'm trying to get I'm sure he would be an excellent addition to the squad, but that's very much in the balance at the moment."

The Magpies' chief refused to be drawn on who his target is, but United continue to be linked with French striker Frederic Piquionne. The 28-year-old currently plies his trade in the French top flight for 5th palced St.Etienne.

Roeder admitted that January has been a difficult period and that he has spent most of the month on his mobile phone, desperately trying to bring new faces to Tyneside.

"It's been a tough month for everyone and not just me, there haven't been many big transfers.

"Perhaps the biggest came at Aston Villa with Ashley Young's signing, but there is no deal I look at where I feel we have missed out.

"The fans are right to be clambering for signings but it's been difficult and we don't want to make mistakes."

Montella, Niell, Lauren and Carew, there's 4 off the top of my head who would walk into our starting line up, and were all relatively cheap.

cutting it find are we?

nufc.co.uk really need to sack their proof readers. the number of typos for an official site is very poor.

Edited by Fancy Dan lecturer

Guest Patrokles

cutting it <b>find</b> are we?

nufc.co.uk really need to sack their proof readers. the number of typos for an official site is very poor.

Also, clamouring, not clambering. But, hey, it's not really that important.

Montella, Niell, Lauren and Carew, there's 4 off the top of my head who would walk into our starting line up, and were all relatively cheap.

These are all good examples of us not signing players for the sake of it just to get people in.

I wouldn't want any of them long term for one reason or another.

These are all good examples of us not signing players for the sake of it just to get people in.

What's wrong with a stop gap? Montella on loan would be ideal tbh, just untill Owen comes back.....

montella and lauren would have been decent purchases

Hindsight is fantastic isn't it.

I sort of agree with both of you. I'm with Baggio re: not signing players just for the sake of it (think we've done that too much over the years since KK) but a loan or two would/could be just what we need.

I've wanted Montella since I heard Fulham wanted him.

Guest Patrokles

There's still this blanket assumption that we are still a more attractive proposition for players than every other club outside the top 4.

There's still this blanket assumption that we are still a more attractive proposition for players than every other club outside the top 4.

We are a more attractive proposition than fucking Fulham surely?

Guest Patrokles

We are a more attractive proposition than fucking Fulham surely?

Not if Montella, at the twilight of his career, prefers to live somewhere like London.

I think the assumption is we aren't even trying for these players. There may be perfectly good reasons why that's the case though.

Newcastle Pros:

Pay a lot

Nightlife

Vertical stripes are slimming

Newcastle Cons:

Not London

What's wrong with a stop gap? Montella on loan would be ideal tbh, just untill Owen comes back.....

He obviously feels this French striker would offer more to the team, I'd have been happy with Montella on loan but as I said I wouldn't be happy with any of them long term.

Guest Patrokles

I think the assumption is we aren't even trying for these players. There may be perfectly good reasons why that's the case though.

I think that both assumptions are present; ie, 'why didn't we go for such and such, they'd definitely come here over fucking pompey!'

that's foresight, or a lack of it on our part tbh

or dare i say the 'p' word?

Unless the player wants to live in London then we more than likely are. We have (wrongly for quite a while now!) a reputation for attacking, entertaining football, big stadium and crowds (again with the reputation still of a great atmosphere, despite there not being one). We are regularly in europe in one form or another and we will pay big wages.

If we go up against the "big 4" for a player then failing them being a geordie we will lose out, against say Spurs they will win if the player prefers London, but as Duff showed, that is about the only thing they have over us. Other than that we'd beat most clubs for a signing even if some of the reasons for it are now wrong!

I think that both assumptions are present; ie, 'why didn't we go for such and such, they'd definitely come here over fucking pompey!'

Only the former assumption is correct though :unsure:

Btw, the league's that poor, a couple of decent loans could easily make the difference between about 5/6th and 12th place.

He obviously feels this French striker would offer more to the team, I'd have been happy with Montella on loan but as I said I wouldn't be happy with any of them long term.

I agree, but I'd rather have a natural goal scorer, than someone with a poor ratio. Admittedly I've never seen Piquonne play, but I would prefer a goal scorer.

Only the former assumption is correct though :unsure:

Btw, the league's that poor, a couple of decent loans could easily make the difference between about 5/6th and 12th place.

Completely agree.

The problem with Lauren is that he's just come back from a serious knee injury and we don't really know if that has affected his ability in any way, Carr was a top right back before suffering the same sort of injury and we all know how he's ended up.

I'd hate to sign another player on big wages only to find out he'd gone the same way.