Great timing Roeder, you numpty !

Jimbo

I'm not a coward, Roeder

MARTIN O’NEILL has told Glenn Roeder to get his facts right after being labelled a coward by the Newcastle boss.

Aston Villa manager O’Neill was accused of not having the bottle to take over at Tyneside last year.

Caretaker Roeder was finally installed as the long-term successor to Graeme Souness despite suggestions the job was O’Neill’s if he wanted it.

And that sparked an extraordinary suggestion that the Irishman was too frightened to step into the Toon hot-seat.

Roeder taunted O’Neill: “If a person doesn't want this job, then I think you have to question his courage.”

O’Neill, choosing his words carefully, admitted: “What Glenn said has been brought to my attention. Whatever was said was full of great imagination and not much fact behind it.

“What happened is not important now and it is certainly not relevant. I have a job at Aston Villa and it’s one I want to do.”

O’Neill was heavily courted by several clubs, not to mention England, during 2006 after taking time out to look after his ill wife.

And it was his personal circumstances which made it impossible to encourage the overtures of Newcastle chief Freddy Shepherd.

Villa travel to the North East tonight with O’Neill hoping to have the last laugh on Roeder.

The Irishman must decide whether to plunge Ashley Young and John Carew straight into the team.

Ex-Watford winger Young, 21, is more likely to get a run-out after his £8million switch.

But Norwegian Carew is still not back to full match fitness after a groin problem restricted his appearances for Lyon.

O’Neill believes that both players will really start to make an impact next season.

He said: “Hopefully the two players will help us create more chances and score more goals.

“I’m not taking the pressure away from them but I don’t expect them to have an immediate impact. Even John Carew, at 27, will need a bit of guidance.

“But after a bit of help he should be able to stand up on his own two feet.

“He is feeling better but he could do with some more work so I will have to look at it against Newcastle.

“Just because we have signed a couple of players it doesn’t mean our fortunes will change over night.

“It may be that the two players need some time to settle in and next season they are right.”

Villa travel on the back of victory against Watford and O’Neill added: “It’s stopped the rot and we’ve got three big games coming up now.

“There are enough games for us to make an impact but it would be nice to keep the scoreboard ticking over.”

Villa welcome back £8m midfielder Stilian Petrov while Luke Moore and Martin Laursen are knocking on the door after long-term injury.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh, this Mr. Nice Guy thing with Roeder is a total myth imo. Since he's taken over he's made numerous snidey unnecessary remarks about other managers, enough to make me think he's a bit of an arsehole. The face that he knows nothing of the exact circumstances with O'Neill's wife makes this coward taunt pretty distasteful, not to mention ill-advised when we're about to play them.

tbf the media as ever as spinning this up into an unnecessary frenzy. Now that the Mourinho thing has died down, they need something else to chomp into.

Poor choice of words from Glenn, but at no point does he actually call him a coward. Who actually knows if O'Neill was even offered the job in the end?

tbf the media as ever as spinning this up into an unnecessary frenzy. Now that the Mourinho thing has died down, they need something else to chomp into.

Poor choice of words from Glenn, but at no point does he actually call him a coward. Who actually knows if O'Neill was even offered the job in the end?

It's pretty obvious who he's referring to Craig and he says you have to question his courage - even if it's true, it's totally unnecessary to come out with it. Same as it was obvious that he was referencing Redknapp and Allardyce the other day when he talked about managers that "live from transfer window to transfer window bringing in old players who are past their best." He should have a look at the league table and see how those managers are doing compared to him before he makes his mouth go tbh.

Aye I know which is why I say it was a poor choice of words, but the media spin those comments something chronic......

Out of interest, who wrote that?

Aye I know which is why I say it was a poor choice of words, but the media spin those comments something chronic......

Not sure, but I heard the comments on the radio yesterday morning, so I think the quotes are a couple of days old. I just wish he would shut up.

Not sure, but I heard the comments on the radio yesterday morning, so I think the quotes are a couple of days old. I just wish he would shut up.

agree with that :angry:

Martin O'Neill has scoffed at Glenn Roeder's claims that the Villa boss may have lacked the 'courage' to take on the Newcastle job.

Newcastle were one of a number of sides to show an interest in former Celtic manager O'Neill, who left football in 2005 to take care of his ill wife.

But he felt the circumstances were not right to move to St James' Park and Roeder, who had been working as caretaker manager in the wake of Graeme Souness's departure, was given the job on a permanent basis.

Ahead of Newcastle's game with Villa, Roeder said: "If a person doesn't want this job, then you have to question his courage."

But O'Neill has dismissed his comments as untrue and irrelevant.

"Whatever he said was full of great imagination and not much fact behind it," he told The Sun. "What happened is not important now and it is certainly not relevant.

"I have a job at Aston Villa and it's one I want to do."

Yep I'd like to see the CONTEXT of the quote myself, the only quoted bit is completely out of ANY context at all, and if people don't understand the way the media twists context to sell and make a story they don't understand anything about the modern media at all.

That quote could have been in the context of anything from saying asking why O'neill didn't take the job to talking about Guillet quiting down to talking about the sort of ride Reoder himself has had.

The fact that it's one sentence quoted in complete isolation would suggest to me that its NOT (either quite or completely) in the context they are suggesting tbh.

I like the way Roeder is saying that he could say things, but he isn't saying them so people can not accuse him of saying them.

"I could point to our injury list as other mangers do or have done, but I am not. We have about 10 first team players out, players who would walk into the team and make a difference. But I am not saying this, so you cannot accuse me of using this as an excuse." [These are not actually Roeder's words as I am too lazy to look google for an interview Nobbystyletastic]

Edited by Isegrim

I was going to mention that actually, the way he talks about the injury-list be saying he isn't going to use it as an excuse. :angry: He talks some shite like.

Yep I'd like to see the CONTEXT of the quote myself, the only quoted bit is completely out of ANY context at all, and if people don't understand the way the media twists context to sell and make a story they don't understand anything about the modern media at all.

That quote could have been in the context of anything from saying asking why O'neill didn't take the job to talking about Guillet quiting down to talking about the sort of ride Reoder himself has had.

The fact that it's one sentence quoted in complete isolation would suggest to me that its NOT (either quite or completely) in the context they are suggesting tbh.

Here's a challenge then, see if you fit that sentence into any paragraph where it sounds acceptable.

I honestly don't know if it's just our managers and chairman that tend to talk absolute cobblers or if its all of them but we are exposed more to our local media so it seems worse. Whatever, the facade that Roeder is a dignified man is crumbling imo.

These qoutes came out a few days ago, and weren't in this context. He merely states in the original article (which I can't be arsed to search for) that he can't understand how anyone could turn down this job. It was more of a compliment to NUFC than a snipe at O'Neill. As usual though, the media have put their own slant on it.

Guest Patrokles

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall that quote being made FUCKING AGES AGO. Disgusting press spin, even worse that some of you believe it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall that quote being made FUCKING AGES AGO. Disgusting press spin, even worse that some of you believe it.

Fact of the matter is, Roeder could gob in your hair and call you a TOTAL MONGFACE and you'd find some way of rationalising it. :angry:

Guest Patrokles

Fact of the matter is, Roeder could gob in your hair and call you a TOTAL MONGFACE and you'd find some way of rationalising it. ;)

Pardon me for being sensible AND rational now. :P:P

Though, to be fair, I'd find it easier to rationalise if he did it to you. :angry:

Edited by Patrokles

I remember it coming out some time ago. Still, it was clear that it will get digged out ahead of the Villa game. And you can turn and twist it as much as you want, if someone is saying someone else is lacking courage by not taking the job, he is having a sly dig by trying to show how brave he is himself (and let's not forget Glenn Roeder has always stood up for a fight bla bla).

If Roeder doesn't want quotes coming back to haunt him he just shouldn't say them...