Martin O'Neill

Invicta_Toon

Can't believe we are now 9th btw. How shite is the league though?

Aye.

Is invicta taking the piss btw? I can never tell for sure.

Yesterday's match was basically an abortion, painful to sit through, especially the second half. Of the two sides, Villa impressed more tbh and probably deserved at least a draw. We've had some flukey results recently when you consider our performances (this one and Spurs spring to mind), which is nice, but it can't last.

We could have lost the last three league games no bother, but the decisions and luck went in our favour- not that I'm complaining about that.

Judge O'Neill next season. At least he hasn't got 3 relegations on his CV.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye.

Yesterday's match was basically an abortion, painful to sit through, especially the second half. Of the two sides, Villa impressed more tbh and probably deserved at least a draw. We've had some flukey results recently when you consider our performances (this one and Spurs spring to mind), which is nice, but it can't last.

We could have lost the last three league games no bother, but the decisions and luck went in our favour- not that I'm complaining about that.

I couldn't give a fuck what Roeders done in the past, it's the future I'm bothered about.

I reckon he's steadying a ship that was rocking like a bastard 18 months ago.

Edited by NewcastleRocker

Aye.

I couldn't give a fuck what Roeders done in the past, it's the future I'm bothered about.

I reckon he's steadying a ship that was rocking like a bastard 18 months ago.

Agreed.

This MON and no budget angle is a bit stupid too since he started with Carew and Young.

Think he'll end up doing a better job at Villa than Roeder does at the Toon. One game means nowt anyway. Although if you want to go down the head-to-head analysis route, we were battered down there and they were unlucky to lose last night (going off the highlights ;) ).

Clearly because he has more money. If Roeder and O'Neill both had their own squads made up of the players they have chosen (within reason obviously) Roeder would come out on top.

Only thing O'Neill has going for him to me is his love for Gattuso....

fucking hell

so MON is now the same as Jose, he's allowed to be shite unles he has his first choice 11 available?

you think our collection of 11 turdbags is anywhere near Roeder's desired 11?, even before considering unlike MON or Jose he doesn't have the luxury of getting every player he wants because money is no object

No, I think Roeder would like a load of other additions to the squad and would like everyone fit. Just think O'Neill is a far better manager. Their relative track-records prove that tbh.

O'Neill is a better manager, but I consider him slightly above average and not the 'Mr Fixit' everyone pants on about.

fucking hell

so MON is now the same as Jose, he's allowed to be shite unles he has his first choice 11 available?

you think our collection of 11 turdbags is anywhere near Roeder's desired 11?, even before considering unlike MON or Jose he doesn't have the luxury of getting every player he wants because money is no object

No, I think Roeder would like a load of other additions to the squad and would like everyone fit. Just think O'Neill is a far better manager. Their relative track-records prove that tbh.

O'Neill is a better manager, but I consider him slightly above average and not the 'Mr Fixit' everyone pants on about.

Hes probably still a bit ring-rusty :lol: having been out of the game for a while.

Think he'll end up doing a better job at Villa than Roeder does at the Toon. One game means nowt anyway. Although if you want to go down the head-to-head analysis route, we were battered down there and they were unlucky to lose last night (going off the highlights :lol: ).

Clearly because he has more money. If Roeder and O'Neill both had their own squads made up of the players they have chosen (within reason obviously) Roeder would come out on top.

Only thing O'Neill has going for him to me is his love for Gattuso....

How much have they each spent this season then?

exactly jonny

he's a manager that has a good record, getting a team like leicester to 2 cup wins and top 10 in the league with the players he had was really good management, getting a poor celtic team to the final of the uefa cup is no mean feat.

knee jerk reactions however seem to be the order of the day here some times (and i'm not exempt)

i know who i'd rather have managing my team. despite roeder getting some decidedly good results recently it for my money is more by luck than judgement, despite the defence having an average age of 18.3 etc etc...

Guest stevieintoon

Never rated the bloke tbh and definitely didn't want the annoying little irish twat here

You'll upset Ewerk with racist remarks like that.

Even though the kids a dick I'm with Vic on this one. Martin O'Neill's teams are predominantly defined by a tall centre forward, the ball constantly being in the air, midfielders closing space and being dirty. He's a canny bloke but I don't subscribe to his footballing ethos. For Bobby Gould 1988 see MON 2007.

Seems to be the in thing now to have a pop at O'Neill like.

nope

like i said in OP, this is a continuation of my MON slagging, started on N-O at the start of the season, and even further back when the lairy leprechaun was being touted as manager

exactly jonny

he's a manager that has a good record, getting a team like leicester to 2 cup wins and top 10 in the league with the players he had was really good management, getting a poor celtic team to the final of the uefa cup is no mean feat.

knee jerk reactions however seem to be the order of the day here some times (and i'm not exempt)

i know who i'd rather have managing my team. despite roeder getting some decidedly good results recently it for my money is more by luck than judgement, despite the defence having an average age of 18.3 etc etc...

But didn't that "poor Celtic team" beat two teams from the premiership on the way to the final as well.

Guest Patrokles

I'd give MON a season before I pass judgement, he did inherit some fucking shite to be fair to him.

When MON gets key players fit and settled into the club I'm sure Villa will bounce back.

I think you mis-spelt Roeder. :lol:

Has no bottle.

Ditto Allardyce.

It was a joke, in reference to Roeder's comments recently. I think both have the bottle, or big enough characters for the NUFC job, without a doubt. Why neither took the job.... my guess because of the board.

Regarding MON, he's a decent manager but not as good as the hype would have you believe and I don't think he would have done a much better job than Roeder has done in the circumstances, although long-term I think he would prove a better NUFC manager, but whether he could take NUFC to the next level which is what everyone was looking for from the new man in the summer, we'll never know. I doubt he'll take Villa into the top 4 and regular CL footy either.

Has no bottle.

Ditto Allardyce.

It was a joke, in reference to Roeder's comments recently. I think both have the bottle, or big enough characters for the NUFC job, without a doubt. Why neither took the job.... my guess because of the board.

Regarding MON, he's a decent manager but not as good as the hype would have you believe and I don't think he would have done a much better job than Roeder has done in the circumstances, although long-term I think he would prove a better NUFC manager, but whether he could take NUFC to the next level which is what everyone was looking for from the new man in the summer, we'll never know. I doubt he'll take Villa into the top 4 and regular CL footy either.

Although I thought Roeder's comments the other day were ill-advised and unnecessary, I reckon both Allardyce AND O'Neill bottled it to an extent. I don't know that O'Neill was 100% ready at that time to take a job on, but Allardyce could have. He might well have a cosy relationship with the board at Bolton and feel he's got something of a job for life, and I think maybe that as much as anything played a role in him not taking our job on. Obviously you could say that the board (ours) is therefore a factor because you know that if you come here you've only got a limited time period in which to get things right before Fred's trigger finger starts to twitch.

Has no bottle.

Ditto Allardyce.

According to Leazes he meant Shearer not MoN :lol:

Has no bottle.

Ditto Allardyce.

Although I thought Roeder's comments the other day were ill-advised and unnecessary, I reckon both Allardyce AND O'Neill bottled it to an extent. I don't know that O'Neill was 100% ready at that time to take a job on, but Allardyce could have. He might well have a cosy relationship with the board at Bolton and feel he's got something of a job for life, and I think maybe that as much as anything played a role in him not taking our job on. Obviously you could say that the board (ours) is therefore a factor because you know that if you come here you've only got a limited time period in which to get things right before Fred's trigger finger starts to twitch.

They could have bottled it, but I'd say other factors played a bigger part in them saying no - especially Big Sam. To be honest I never really thought O'Neill was that interested in our job anyway, I thought for a time he was using us to force the FA into making a quick decision, I think he wanted that job a lot more. When SBR got sacked and we were linked with both, I preferred O'Neill but since then my regret is Allardyce saying no - I rate him very highly.

PS Roeder's comments were from The Mag and a good few weeks old, and I don't think he was talking about MON, I think he was perhaps defending himself more than anything and talking in general. The media however like to stir the shit.

Edited by Howaythetoon

Allardyce strikes me as fairly ambitious. Think he's got enough about him not to take on the 'wrong job' as it were, if that's what happened. Pure speculation but I think both him and O'Neill thought 'fuck it' when they seriously thought about dealing with Shepherd on a day-to-day basis.