*OWEN ARRIVES IN NEWCASTLE FOR TALKS**

Optimistic Nut

another thing about the owen deal (that i cant be arsed to check all the owen threads for) is that stevie gerrard has just signed a massive new contract - i reckon liverpool simply cant afford him.

how real can let owen talk to liverpool when they absolutely dont have 17m to spend i dont know unless, maybe, real accepted a lower bid.

22072[/snapback]

As i've said perhaps Liverpool have told Real that they're hoping to still put together a decent transfer fee, they could have also told Owen they can't match the fee so to either tell Real he's not prepared to join us or sit it out until January.

Also if Northern Rock is financing the deal, would that mean Real would get the money all in one go?

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My take on this:

I'll start with Liverpool. Based on reading a few Liverpool forums and reading various quotes from Rafa, Parry et al and seeking the opinions of one or two mates who support Liverpool, the Reds will not give Real Madrid 10m profit on a player who they sold for 8m, a player who they brought through the youth team.

That's problem number 1.

Rafa I believe isn't so keen on Owen, he wants a centre-back and a right winger first and foremost and sees these as his main priorities. Any manager, if money was no object, would have Owen at their club, so would Rafa, more options for him, but not at the expense of other areas.

That's problem number 2.

It would appear, to finance the Owen deal and to give Rafa the funds to buy a defender and a winger, they have to sell someone. Cisse is the obvious and most saleable asset after Baros who if reports are to be believed, funded the Crouch deal so that money has gone. LFC if reports are to be believed have touted Cisse around Europe but they want at least 10m for him having paid 14m. Trouble is no-one is willing to even come close to that and secondly, Rafa rates Cisse and tried to sign him for Valencia but was pipped by Liverpool. This has also upset Cisse and cause unrest in the camp.

That's problem number 3.

Now, do the board undermine Rafa by spending the money they have earmarked for a defender and a right winger by spending it on Owen? Do they risk upsetting the man who won them their 5th European Cup? They won't do that. So what do they do? Well they try and get Real to lower their price, they ask for Owen on loan until January which will give them time to find a buyer for Cisse or to come up with extra funds.

Real, with a 16-18m bid from Newcastle just waiting to be signed, sealed and delivered will not agree to that. So that has been ruled out. What next for Liverpool?

This is where it gets complicated, they know Newcastle are desperate for a striker so they will wait and wait and hope we drop out of it and take our money away from Madrid's eyes meaning they either accept Liverpool's money for Owen, or keep someone who won't play much and who wants out.

They are quite prepared to do that and are doing that. Trouble is, Newcastle aren't going anywhere, we are pushing them right to the wire and calling theirs and Owen's bluff.

Owen has had to speak to us, he has no other options. So he has arrived on Tyneside and he's listened to what we have had to say, I don't care what anyone says, but you do not sit and talk to people for over 5 hours (and that's what we know of) if your answer is to be a straight no.

I think Owen is hoping the images being reported by Sky will force Liverpool's hand further. I believe he would have agreed terms and such with Newcastle today and the deal will be, if Liverpool and Madrid can not reach an agreement by tomorrow lunchtime/evening, then he'll sign for us. He'll have no other option.

Now as I see it, LFC have to agree something with Real wich will allow them to sign Owen, while also keeping in with Rafa's wishes and commitment to other areas of the team.

As I see it the ball is firmly in their court and they, it would appear, need to convince Real to ignore our 16-18m bid and accept a much lower one.

Call me stupid, but they would be pretty damn stupid do that.

I wonder if they've learned from their Woodgate experience...

HTT's copy and paste has come under some intense straight tonight eh mate?  :D

22086[/snapback]

I don't get you?

22087[/snapback]

nah just your constant back and forth copy & pasting on both boards bud

From tomorrows Telegraph:

Alan Shearer was last night spearheading a Newcastle charm offensive as he sought to pull off "Mission: Implausible" for his employers by persuading former England colleague Michael Owen to join him on Tyneside.

The Newcastle captain was brought in to take part in face-to-face talks with Owen in Northumberland along with manager Graeme Souness and club chairman Freddy Shepherd in an attempt to convince the Real Madrid striker of the virtues of a club whose £16 million bid was accepted by the Spanish club a week ago.

The fact that Owen, 25, has made the trip to the North-East will surely fill the Newcastle party with enormous hope because he initially insisted that he would only consider joining the Premiership strugglers on loan for a season if a permanent return to Merseyside failed to materialise.

Shepherd is said to be "cautiously optimistic" about his chances of securing Owen's services but he has accepted that Liverpool remain favourites for his signature.

Liverpool have held talks with Owen's agent, Tony Stephens, and Real Madrid have now received what is described as a second "solid bid" for Owen from an unidentified club -understood to be from the European champions, who sold him to Real last year for about £8 million.

However, it has also emerged that Real officials have tried to persuade Owen to join Newcastle because a move there would generate instant funds at the Bernabeu, plus that offer would be far greater than Liverpool's bid, which is believed to in the region of £10 million.

Shearer, who admits to having "spent a fortune on calls to Madrid" and shares the same agent as Owen, would rate persuading his friend to join Newcastle as a major coup and it would also bode well for his future career in management.

To convince Owen of Newcastle's attractions, Shearer will list a number of advantages including the prospect of regular football in the run-up to his anticipated participation at next summer's World Cup, the adulation that he has missed in Madrid and a midfield that should ensure a regular supply of goals.

He might also resort to emotional blackmail in that Owen could ensure a far happier swansong season for Shearer, who has so far struggled for goals this term. A salary in the region of £100,000 a week could also help.

Shearer will probably not dwell on Newcastle's recent decline, the uncertainty surrounding Souness's future and the club's poor track record of dealing with hamstring injuries that have plagued Owen and Newcastle midfielders Kieron Dyer and Emre.

"We have three days left to try to convince him to come here and we're still in there fighting for him," Shearer said. "I know that if he came here he would be loved. The fans love their goalscorers up here and he would be a hero. I've had several conversations with him, but I don't have to tell him what passionate supporters we have."

HTT's copy and paste has come under some intense straight tonight eh mate?  :D

22086[/snapback]

I don't get you?

22087[/snapback]

nah just your constant back and forth copy & pasting on both boards bud

22088[/snapback]

Oh, aye. Long live the copy and paste function :D

From tomorrows Telegraph:

Alan Shearer was last night spearheading a Newcastle charm offensive as he sought to pull off "Mission: Implausible" for his employers by persuading former England colleague Michael Owen to join him on Tyneside.

The Newcastle captain was brought in to take part in face-to-face talks with Owen in Northumberland along with manager Graeme Souness and club chairman Freddy Shepherd in an attempt to convince the Real Madrid striker of the virtues of a club whose £16 million bid was accepted by the Spanish club a week ago.

The fact that Owen, 25, has made the trip to the North-East will surely fill the Newcastle party with enormous hope because he initially insisted that he would only consider joining the Premiership strugglers on loan for a season if a permanent return to Merseyside failed to materialise.

Shepherd is said to be "cautiously optimistic" about his chances of securing Owen's services but he has accepted that Liverpool remain favourites for his signature.

Liverpool have held talks with Owen's agent, Tony Stephens, and Real Madrid have now received what is described as a second "solid bid" for Owen from an unidentified club -understood to be from the European champions, who sold him to Real last year for about £8 million.

However, it has also emerged that Real officials have tried to persuade Owen to join Newcastle because a move there would generate instant funds at the Bernabeu, plus that offer would be far greater than Liverpool's bid, which is believed to in the region of £10 million.

Shearer, who admits to having "spent a fortune on calls to Madrid" and shares the same agent as Owen, would rate persuading his friend to join Newcastle as a major coup and it would also bode well for his future career in management.

To convince Owen of Newcastle's attractions, Shearer will list a number of advantages including the prospect of regular football in the run-up to his anticipated participation at next summer's World Cup, the adulation that he has missed in Madrid and a midfield that should ensure a regular supply of goals.

He might also resort to emotional blackmail in that Owen could ensure a far happier swansong season for Shearer, who has so far struggled for goals this term. A salary in the region of £100,000 a week could also help.

Shearer will probably not dwell on Newcastle's recent decline, the uncertainty surrounding Souness's future and the club's poor track record of dealing with hamstring injuries that have plagued Owen and Newcastle midfielders Kieron Dyer and Emre.

"We have three days left to try to convince him to come here and we're still in there fighting for him," Shearer said. "I know that if he came here he would be loved. The fans love their goalscorers up here and he would be a hero. I've had several conversations with him, but I don't have to tell him what passionate supporters we have."

22091[/snapback]

:D

Following the talks Owen was whisked away in a vehicle with darkened out windows to be entertained at Alan Shearer's residence this evening. Newcastle United chairman Freddy Shepherd then left the hotel in a Range Rover and headed back to St. James' Park with other club executives and they remain there at the time of this update.

Just reading this and if it is correct (which is the big question - though Sky did quote that Woen left followed by Shearer) then surely it has to look good that he is going to sign. The talks ended at 5 and if he was going to Liverpool then I would be very surprised if he didn't fly straight back after the talks ready for signing the dotted line for Liverpool and spending a bit time with his family before joining up with the England squad.

I still think if he was going to Liverpool, he would have signed this afternoon for them. If they'd agreed to buy him, then why has he bothered talking to us when he's already admitted he wants to sign for Liverpool?

I'm 60% confident we'll sign him.

I still think if he was going to Liverpool, he would have signed this afternoon for them. If they'd agreed to buy him, then why has he bothered talking to us when he's already admitted he wants to sign for Liverpool?

I'm 60% confident we'll sign him.

22157[/snapback]

I agree and if he is staying here then surely we must have a chance. I am about 70% confident

Exactly. And why would he stay over night too?

22162[/snapback]

Maybe they do a cracking full English.

22167[/snapback]

:D:D I they reckon Shearer's misses is famed in the North East for it. Seriously though the two questions to be asked are - why is he talking to us if he has agreed with Liverpool and why did he bother coming in the first place and also why is he staying at Shearer's over night (if this is true) as surely he would go to his family ready to sign for Liverpool if he was.

The talks were held at Mitford Hall according to The Times.

Home is where the heat is as Liverpool haggle over Owen

They also seem very confident that Solano will join Liverpool in the next 24 hours for £1.5 million!

MICHAEL OWEN was reassured by the message from Rafael Benítez yesterday morning when, in face-to-face discussions, the Liverpool manager confirmed that he wanted to sign the England striker but the Merseyside club were still haggling with Real Madrid over the terms of the transfer last night with time running out to conclude a deal.

After a day when he flew back from Spain, met Liverpool and then hurtled up to Northumberland for talks with the Newcastle United hierarchy, Owen must have felt like he had finished where he started — still waiting for Liverpool, his preferred destination, to offer Real acceptable terms.

It has been that way for Owen for weeks now and, with the transfer window due to close at midnight tomorrow, the wait for significant developments becomes all the more agonising. Rick Parry, the Liverpool chief executive, held more discussions with Real yesterday afternoon but Spanish sources insisted that the two clubs were still some way apart.

With the possibility that his hopes of a return to Anfield could be dashed, Owen travelled to the North East, where he was met by a huge welcoming party from Newcastle including Freddy Shepherd, the chairman, Douglas Hall, his deputy, Graeme Souness, the manager, Dean Saunders, his assistant, and Alan Shearer at Mitford Hall, a rural retreat. For the Tyneside club, it was a coup even to sit down with the England striker and someone ensured that photographers were there to capture Owen leaving the talks.

Newcastle’s desperation to secure the forward is so great that they may even offer to sign him on a permanent deal on the understanding that he could leave for a similar fee in 12 months’ time if he is not happy. They have bid £16 million, which has not made Parry’s job any easier as he attempts to persuade Real to accept nearer £10 million.

Liverpool’s initial offer of a loan deal with a view to a permanent transfer next year is understood to have been rejected out of hand by Real, who urgently need to bring in funds as they attempt to sign Sergio Ramos, the Seville defender, for about £15 million. Owen was not even put on the bench by Real for the 2-1 victory at Cádiz on Sunday as they made it plain that, as long as someone gives them a handsome profit on the £8 million they paid for the striker last summer, they do not care if he goes to Newcastle or Liverpool.

Owen returned from Cádiz and then travelled on to Liverpool yesterday morning. While Tony Stephens, the player’s agent, talked to Parry, Owen was reassured by Benítez that he was also keen on the move despite reports that his interest is lukewarm.

Benítez is keen to strengthen other areas of his team and, to that end, a deal of about £1.5 million for Nolberto Solano, the Peru and Aston Villa right winger, is expected to be concluded in the next 24 hours. A new centre half remains a priority with Philippe Mexes, the AS Roma and France defender, one of half a dozen targets. Parry reassured Owen and Stephens that he would continue to negotiate with Real but among the complications has been the difficulty for Liverpool in finding a buyer for Djibril Cissé, the France forward who would be surplus to requirements at Anfield despite costing £14 million from Auxerre only a year ago.

Eager to return to his former club, but aware that there are many obstacles, Owen drove to the North East for talks with Newcastle. He left that meeting at around 6pm to return to his home in Flintshire still unsure where he would be playing his next game of club football.

Sources at Newcastle said that they believed the discussions had gone well and, given their position near the foot of the Barclays Premiership with only one point and no goals in four matches, they are probably congratulating themselves that they have even reached the point of discussions with Owen, who said that he would consider going to St James’ but only on loan because of his eagerness to play regular football in World Cup year.

Owen’s future will almost certainly have to be resolved today with Liverpool either agreeing a fee with Real or pulling out of the talks. There is, of course, always the option of staying in Spain but, after spending the day back in England yesterday, Owen will have an even greater yearning to be home.

Freddy Shepherd then left the hotel in a Range Rover and headed back to St. James' Park with other club executives and they remain there at the time of this update.

22155[/snapback]

This to me is the important but (assuming the source is correct). If nothing had moved forward and talks were to just continue tomorrow then why would they bother going back to SJP? Surely Fred would either go home or stay at the hotel ready to restart them tomorrow.

Either, its close to a deal and they're just dotting the i's and crossing the t's on the contract or theres a sticking point and they've gone away to work out the resolution.

Whatever it is, I agree that its definitely not clear cut as to him going to Liverpool and is looking good for us.

Freddy Shepherd then left the hotel in a Range Rover and headed back to St. James' Park with other club executives and they remain there at the time of this update.

22155[/snapback]

This to me is the important but (assuming the source is correct). If nothing had moved forward and talks were to just continue tomorrow then why would they bother going back to SJP? Surely Fred would either go home or stay at the hotel ready to restart them tomorrow.

22181[/snapback]

That's where they're holding his wife and kid! :D

Edited by Geordiesned

More developments with the Owen offer, this is a very brief extract from the back page of tomorrows Sun:

NEWCASTLE are so desperate to sign Michael Owen they have offered to let him go after a year if he is unhappy.

The England hitman held marathon talks with Toon and Liverpool yesterday.

It seems we are negotiating a getout clause for Owen should he not be happy at St James's park, one assumes if Owen is not content and a fee is met by say "Liverpool" for example, we would let him go.

Madness.