*OWEN ARRIVES IN NEWCASTLE FOR TALKS**

Optimistic Nut

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It has to be an encouraging sign that he is even talking to us. Unlike Liverpool we are now just waiting for Owen to agree terms and he's in Newcastle, which is much further down the line than any of us expected this would go. The dreadful start to our season has made our negotiations a lot harder though. Real Madrid are very ruthless and our offer seems like a ridiculous one which I'm sure they're desperate to collect. They may be rich but that's an amazing profit to make on any player in 12 months. They'll be putting pressure on Owen to accept Newcastle, even if they're not saying it publicly. We want this much more than Liverpool, and that could tell in the end.

We're desperate for a striker and I'd be very excited if we signed Owen, but at the same time I have some serious reservations. Spending 17M on a striker who has openly stated he would rather be elsewhere sounds like madness to be honest. But, he seems like a real professional and I'm sure he'd give his all if he did come. His stature alone would give us a real lift as well. My other concern would be his injury record, he seems to struggle to make 30 games a season. That much money could probably be more wisely spent, but I'm past caring about player fees or wages with Freddy Shepherd, we just have to take what we can get and Owen is a hell of a lot better than nothing, even if we are getting ripped off.

Edited by ohmelads

It has to be an encouraging sign that he is even talking to us. Unlike Liverpool we are now just waiting for Owen to agree terms and he's in Newcastle, which is much further down the line than any of us expected this would go. The dreadful start to our season has made our negotiations a lot harder though. Real Madrid are very ruthless and our offer seems like a ridiculous one which I'm sure they're desperate to collect. They may be rich but that's an amazing profit to make on any player in 12 months. They'll be putting pressure on Owen to accept Newcastle, even if they're not saying it publicly. We want this much more than Liverpool, and that could tell in the end.

We're desperate for a striker and I'd be very excited if we signed Owen, but at the same time I have some serious reservations. Spending 17M on a striker who has openly stated he would rather be elsewhere sounds like madness to be honest. But, he seems like a real professional and I'm sure he'd give his all if he did come. His stature alone would give us a real lift as well. My other concern would be his injury record, he seems to struggle to make 30 games a season. That much money could probably be more wisely spent, but I'm past caring about player fees or wages with Freddy Shepherd, we just have to take what we can get and Owen is a hell of a lot better than nothing, even if we are getting ripped off.

22203[/snapback]

I agree with you.

But the worst case scenario is he signs, and suffers a long-term injury. If that happens we're fucked, basically. And I mean fucked with a capital F.

Yep, Souness has attempted to strengthen our first 11 at the expense of a thin squad.

If we sign Owen, I think we will have a first 11 to give any team a game, we more than matched Arsenal until Jenas' red card, and more than matched Man Utd until Emre and Dyer limped off. But a couple of injuries in any position would kill us, as we've seen already. Players like Elliott, Moore, Clark should not be near the first team, those three would struggle to play for the poorest Premiership clubs. Lee Clark was meant to be our 'emergency cover', and yet he's already featured in half of our league games. If we sell Jenas, he could see a lot of action.

Edited by ohmelads

I am getting very nervous about this now. If he (Owen) signs for Liverpool tomorrow then unless we have some kind of amazing back up plan we are well and trully screwed.

How else can we sign someone else in 24 hours, when its taken us weeks to agree any of the deals this summer?

I hope the Fat One knows what he's doing or else Gallowgate may be pressed back into service very soon! Maybe our last resort is Jenarse to Spurs with Keane coming the other way, I dont see any other options at this late stage.

Edited by NewJerseyMag

I am getting very nervous about this now. If he (Owen) signs for Liverpool tomorrow then unless we have some kind of amazing back up plan we are well and trully screwed.

How else can we sign someone else in 24 hours, when its taken us weeks to agree any of the deals this summer?

I hope the Fat One knows what he's doing or else Gallowgate may be pressed back into service very soon! Maybe our last resort is Jenarse to Spurs with Keane coming the other way, I dont see any other options at this late stage.

22217[/snapback]

Spurs are not going to give us a striker right now... they are having their own problems in that department. Mido is even suspended.

I can't think of any player we would want that they would be willing to part with. We are too similar in the weaknesses/strengths department.

"Following the talks Owen was whisked away in a vehicle with darkened out windows to be entertained at Alan Shearer's residence this evening"

:D

Shearer's pulling out all the stops here:

"Pleeeeeeease sign for us. I'll be your best mate. Pleeeeease. You can stop at mine tonight."

My source tells me that Shearer then let Owen beat him on FIFA before giving him the top bunk. It's felt that this could well have clinched the deal.

But the worst case scenario is he signs, and suffers a long-term injury. If that happens we're fucked, basically. And I mean fucked with a capital F.

22208[/snapback]

Surely the worst case scenario is he signs for us then waits til Thursday morning before whipping off his Owen mask to reveal a laughing Craig Bellamy who then proceeds to detonate his suicide belt in the company of the whole team. Now that is a worst case scenario and I agree, if that happens we really are fucked with a capital F U C and K.

Jeeeeez Renton mate, you really are a pessimist with a capital P.

22208[/snapback]

Surely the worst case scenario is he signs for us then waits til Thursday morning before whipping off his Owen mask to reveal a laughing Craig Bellamy who then proceeds to detonate his suicide belt in the company of the whole team. Now that is a worst case scenario and I agree, if that happens we really are fucked with a capital F U C and K.

22238[/snapback]

He sounds like the average fan on here......

Still what do I know, optimism is SO naieve. I mustn't be a proper fan.

He sounds like the average fan on here......

Still what do I know, optimism is SO naieve. I mustn't be a proper fan.

22242[/snapback]

Hey foreskin is that your mobile ringing? :D

22254[/snapback]

"Hello, Asprilla's Foreskin speaking....oh, I'll just go and see if he's in.....wait there......"

"Following the talks Owen was whisked away in a vehicle with darkened out windows to be entertained at Alan Shearer's residence this evening"

Shearer's pulling out all the stops here:

"Pleeeeeeease sign for us.  I'll be your best mate.  Pleeeeease.  You can stop at mine tonight."

My source tells me that Shearer then let Owen beat him on FIFA before giving him the top bunk.  It's felt that this could well have clinched the deal.

22225[/snapback]

Get him pissed, get a folded over contract out, and get Shearer to ask him to 'sign this piece of paper for the young un.' It might just work...

22208[/snapback]

B)

22238[/snapback]

:D:D:(<_<B)

Edited by Jonny2J

How much higher can we go for him though?

He has obviously taken the terms he has been offered by Newcastle down to the Kop to tell them what th edeal is and see if they can beat it.

They still may not know our offer!