*OWEN ARRIVES IN NEWCASTLE FOR TALKS**

Optimistic Nut

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where has this money suddenly come from?
Perhaps it's not the money that has materialized recently but simply our knowledge of it. Wrap your head around that one.

How can we afford it even after shelling out £10m for Luque?
£9.5m and see above.

Why have we haggled over £500k here and there with re Anelka & Boa Morte?
Perhaps we haggled over those prices because Owen was a target all along and we wanted to keep as much in reserve as possible? Liverpools enquiry into him forced our hand much like us, manure and rooney last season.

Where has this money suddenly come from?

How can we afford it even after shelling out £10m for Luque?

Why have we haggled over £500k here and there with re Anelka & Boa Morte?

Writing FACT after everything is © SMB

OMG FACTAMUNDO, GERLD ETC.

21358[/snapback]

The simple fact that our chairman is a club leech essentially guarantees that he won't overextend us financially to improve the team. It's not like he's saying "I'll spend anything to see this team win," even though some of us wish he'd say that.

It's more along the lines of "I'll spend the absolute minimum to keep us in the Premier League and keep the stadium full, and to keep my pockets well lined." The relative financial stability of the club puts (enormous amounts of) food in his (shockingly massive) mouth. He's not a financial risk taker and has never been. Why start now?

At the risk of sounding like I'm sticking up for Freddy(I'm not. Promise!), I believe that all this money was put by for this day. Our rainy day.

The season that we "kept our powder dry" only signing Bowyer(free transfer) helps lend to this. Maybe Fred has been withholding £6mill per season for the last 3 seasons for this moment????

I honestly believe the board knew(thought) that we'd have to replace Shearer with a similar big name, and I think they are now pulling out all the stops. This is possibly the main reason that Shearer stayed on last year, Freddy thought he might not of had to spend £20m or whatever after getting Kluivert for free, but after him not reproducing his best form, realised that we'd need Shearer about until his proper replacement became available.

I'm only speculating-I also buy into the giant sofa theory.

If the money is in reserve it would answer our net spending of £350K since Jan 2004 before Luque came in.

21398[/snapback]

This must be the "dry powder" money. It's about time we spent that.

21402[/snapback]

Decimilisation has happened since then, rendering it useless :blink:

If the money is in reserve it would answer our net spending of £350K since Jan 2004 before Luque came in.

21398[/snapback]

This must be the "dry powder" money. It's about time we spent that.

21402[/snapback]

Decimilisation has happened since then, rendering it useless :blink:

21428[/snapback]

Decimilisation always ruins everything. :)

Mates, I can't see where our next goal is coming from, nevermind the next win.

21363[/snapback]

Keep the faith, Fulham is

We'll get it right.

21367[/snapback]

Like last year, when the most inept tactical display in the history of football ensured the better team lost 4-1, you mean? :blink:

I thought it was more tragic than funny to be honest.

21480[/snapback]

You had to laugh though or else you would have cried :blink:

21481[/snapback]

And to think prior to that match I was gutted because i'd managed to get tickets but I was at work that day.

I thought it was more tragic than funny to be honest.

21480[/snapback]

You had to laugh though or else you would have cried :blink:

21481[/snapback]

You actually had to punch yourself in the face in frustration, or else you would have laughed, or else you would have cried.

Lastest from Liverpool is that there is no latest :blink:

Liverpool want him on loan, as we can't afford the fee for him. He wants to come here, but Real won't allow him to go on loan as everyone knows! So it's a stalemate basically.

So as of now, a move to Newcastle still appears the likely scenario.

(ohhhh I like my little Liverpool logo member thing - that's :) )

Edited by Rafa

Lastest from Liverpool is that there is no latest  :blink:

Liverpool want him on loan, as we can't afford the fee for him. He wants to come here, but Real won't allow him to go on loan as everyone knows!  So it's a stalemate basically.

21556[/snapback]

What's the concensus on Merseyside, are they expecting to sign him?

Lastest from Liverpool is that there is no latest  :blink:

Liverpool want him on loan, as we can't afford the fee for him. He wants to come here, but Real won't allow him to go on loan as everyone knows!  So it's a stalemate basically.

21556[/snapback]

Its been a complicated mess from the start, but its always been very clear that the second Liverpool match the valuation he will go there. Since Liverpool may not match the fee and Madrid may dig their heels in, it may leave Owen with the choice of fulltime at NUFC or back to Madrid reserves.

What's the concensus on Merseyside, are they expecting to sign him?

21559[/snapback]

as of today, the concensus is grim - we don't feel hopeful at all, knowing that the money is the problem, i.e. we dont' have enough of it. And with just a couple days to go, no way can I see us suddenly making a few extra mill in sales!

Its been a complicated mess from the start, but its always been very clear that the second Liverpool match the valuation he will go there. Since Liverpool may not match the fee and Madrid may dig their heels in, it may leave Owen with the choice of fulltime at NUFC or back to Madrid reserves.

21560[/snapback]

And this is the thing, in a world cup year, he won't go back to Madrid.

Also, there is the issue that his missus is desperate to be back over here full time. She won't want to go back, and she's pregnant and in a few months can't be travelling back and forth anyway!

He won't sit his arse on the bench at Madrid till January I doubt very much. Cos that is risky, as who knows what will happen in January.

How is it Liverpool don't have the money?

After winning the CL, and being in it again this year and with a pretty safe guarentee of finishing high in the prem this year (more millions) plus all the extra money from tickets, tv and sponsors for euro games, plus not exactly being poor to start with, i would have thought they could find the money...hope they don't mind!!!

What's the feeling on Cisse, would the majority of Liverpool fans be willing to let him go should Owen come in?

21571[/snapback]

thats a tricky one! VERY much split opinions. Cisse is very popular with many after all he's been through, and there is uproar at the thought he would be sold so soon to fund a deal. There really is some serious arguing going on, and some anger as well, cos Cisse is popular with many Liverpool fans.

BUT if it had happened (I feel its well to late to happen now), people would have got over it I'm sure, cos after all Owen is 10 times the player Cisse is.

That's the impression I get. Liverpool fans are patient and do have a special bond with players, shown with Cisse breaking his leg and enamouring himself with the fans who had a lot of sympathy.

Like you say though Owen is better. Is there not a hint of resentment in Liverpool after he protracted contract talks thus engineering a move to Madrid?