*OWEN ARRIVES IN NEWCASTLE FOR TALKS**

Optimistic Nut

How is it Liverpool don't have the money?

21574[/snapback]

That's something that mystefies many, and angers a lot of fans, cos after all that happened last year, and winning the European Cup, we'd like to think the board could have got a few more millions for the manager to spend. Rather than make him have to scrounge and sell to get more players in. Our net spending this summer so far has been just £4.5 mill :blink:

There is a thought though that Liverpool are a bit strapped for cash, cos of such stupid deals that where done in Houllier's last 2 years here - stupid fees, and wages and long contracts to inferior players. Also the club had to pay off him and his staff millions and millions.

Seems that maybe Benitez is the one having to scrimp and save cos of the bad deals of a former manager and the incompetence of the board allowing him to sign players on long and very expensive contracts.

Thats part of it, I'm sure there are other reasons, isn't there always!

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the feeling on Cisse, would the majority of Liverpool fans be willing to let him go should Owen come in?

21571[/snapback]

thats a tricky one! VERY much split opinions. Cisse is very popular with many after all he's been through, and there is uproar at the thought he would be sold so soon to fund a deal. There really is some serious arguing going on, and some anger as well, cos Cisse is popular with many Liverpool fans.

BUT if it had happened (I feel its well to late to happen now), people would have got over it I'm sure, cos after all Owen is 10 times the player Cisse is.

21576[/snapback]

Thing is - your lot didnt exactly do badly without Owen, did you ?

Rafa's not daft.

I'd personally prefer Newcastle to go for Kuyt. I'm immensly pissed off with Owen's begging to Liverpool. Hardly sits well for us. But heres the thing - I'll bet we arent still whining at him 'cos he didnt sign for us in 10 years time like Man U fans are with Shearer !!!!! :blink: Now they ARE petulant wankers ! :)

Like you say though Owen is better.  Is there not a hint of resentment in Liverpool after he protracted contract talks thus engineering a move to Madrid?

21577[/snapback]

there some resentement - but it's really a minority! It's wierd, I'd have thought it would have been worse, but it's just not an issue to most of us!

I think after we won the European Cup, it kinda ended any hurt or resentment, cos he just ended up looking a bit silly for leaving.

21574[/snapback]

21578[/snapback]

True, though finding out what they are is the challenge!

If i was a Liverpool fan i think 'd be annoyed at the lack of spending when you have the platform to go and challenge the top 3 in the prem and the rest of europe as well as bring back Owen. However i would then remember my team had just won the CL and probably be too happy to give a shit! :blink:

21574[/snapback]

That's something that mystefies many, and angers a lot of fans, cos after all that happened last year, and winning the European Cup, we'd like to think the board could have got a few more millions for the manager to spend. Rather than make him have to scrounge and sell to get more players in. Our net spending this summer so far has been just £4.5 mill :blink:

There is a thought though that Liverpool are a bit strapped for cash, cos of such stupid deals that where done in Houllier's last 2 years here - stupid fees, and wages and long contracts to inferior players. Also the club had to pay off him and his staff millions and millions.

Seems that maybe Benitez is the one having to scrimp and save cos of the bad deals of a former manager and the incompetence of the board allowing him to sign players on long and very expensive contracts.

21578[/snapback]

Diouf, Diao, Cheyrou \o/

Diouf, Diao, Cheyrou \o/

21583[/snapback]

yup, thats £18 mill in fees right there :blink: Plus all where on 5 year deals, and silly wages. And no hope of even recouping half of that.

Plus players Patric Luzi - a reserve goalie (and a shit one), on a stupid amount of money and a long deal.

Plus the fee for Cisse was over the top as well.

And long contracts given for crocks like Kirkland even AFTER he'd been out injured. Theres just loads of crap thats gone on.

And a £10 mill payout for Houllier and his staff.

Madness.

True, though finding out what they are is the challenge!

If i was a Liverpool fan i think 'd be annoyed at the lack of spending when you have the platform to go and challenge the top 3 in the prem and the rest of europe as well as bring back Owen. However i would then remember my team had just won the CL and probably be too happy to give a shit! :D

21582[/snapback]

yeah, be nice to have the dosh to make some serious moves, but there is the nice warm glow of the European Cup that dulls my annoyance :D

David Craig's been talking and said himself he's saw him on some big estate somewhere

21593[/snapback]

Who?

21595[/snapback]

23731_92185616_craig_david_H214418_L.jpg

Shearer's been spotted at the talks as well

21612[/snapback]

Yes, he's got Owen in a headlock whilst Shepherd hits him until he signs the contract! :D

21614[/snapback]

A good old chinese burn, thats whats needed.

21612[/snapback]

Yes, he's got Owen in a headlock whilst Shepherd hits him until he signs the contract! :D

21614[/snapback]

i woulda thought the fat man would have just threatened to sit on him if he wanted him to sign :D

21612[/snapback]

21614[/snapback]

21618[/snapback]

And apparently Bellamy phoned Owen and told him Shearer is an old bastard who nobody wants to play with anymore! :D

21612[/snapback]

:D

21619[/snapback]

By the way do we witness the attempt to enter the Guinness book for most posts in one day? :D

21636[/snapback]

Bank holidays are boring when you have no cash :(

21612[/snapback]

21614[/snapback]

21618[/snapback]

And apparently Bellamy phoned Owen and told him Shearer is an old bastard who nobody wants to play with anymore! :D

21631[/snapback]

aye and Shearer apparantly txted the welshman back saying he's gonna nock his fucken head off :(

According to SSN they have left the talks for now Owen in one car, followed by Shearer, then Souness & Saunders then FS & his son. Somewhere in 'deepest Northumberland'.

Pictures later on this evening.

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

By the way do we witness the attempt to enter the Guinness book for most posts in one day?  :D

21636[/snapback]

Well he's actually managed a 10+ post thread almost exclusively with himself over on General Chat, all fascinating stuff, mind.