Time for action is now

Kevin Carr's Gloves

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go along with the offering him it.  I hope he doesn't take it though :blink:

21552[/snapback]

I'm sure Shearer said yesterday that he wouldn't take the job for several years or words to that effect.

Personally I reckon Shearer being number two to Mike Newell might work OK. They're great mates and Newell is doing wonders for Luton. He could groom Shearer and hand over when the right time comes.

People will instantly dismiss Newell as not being a big enough name, or not being proven, too inexperienced etc.

Eventually NUFC may have to gamble on a good young, up and coming British manager who seems to have something about them. I'm not saying particularly Newell, but its not soemthing we ever really do.

If we are to sack Souness, we MUST go out of our way to bring in the RIGHT man once and for all because we can not chop and change willy nilly, it's becoming ridiculous and seriously effecting the long-term stability of the club on so many levels it is bad for business (so to speak).

That means no unknowns, or half-chances, that means actually going out there and bringing in a top-class coach of renowned ability to build winning teams at home and abroad.

We can not afford to try an unknown like Newell, it's ridiculous to even suggest because after 4 defeats or something, all those who wanted him, would want him out.

We need the real deal and if Souness is to get the sack, the board must go all out to find that man, the right man.

If we can blow 18m on a striker, we can spend that on a manager.

If it would cost 5m a year to bring in a Hitzfeld or a Cappello or a Wenger et al, then that is what the club must do and they must entrust the entire club into their hands and back them all the way.

BTW I'm not saying we could get those managers but they are the type of sophisticated, experienced, knowledgeable managers with proven track records at all levels that a club like Newcastle need.

Liverpool sacked Houllier who had won 6 trophies and replaced him with Spain's top coach, a man who had won La Liga and the UEFA Cup on the budget of a Villa or a Spurs.

We sacked Sir Bobby and replaced him with Souness. Two steps back.

We must look forward, beyond a season, beyond 2 and do what Arsenal, Liverpool, man Utd and Chelsea have done, clubs we should be competing with. They brought in men for the now and the future.

If we, for example chased Hitzfeld as hard as we are chasing Owen, if we sold the club to him in a positive way, if we said look, you get all of this, you get this budget and this in wages, build a team to win the Premiership and Champions League, I'm sure he would take more than a passing interest in the job. He'd be a fool not to and he doesn't strike me as a fool. He strikes me as a calculated, intelligent, deep thinking, forward looking coach.

But...

While FS is in control, that won't happen so we are fucked. The likes of Souness, or O'Leary, or Bruce, is our lot.

If we replaced Souness with O'Leary, I'd be gutted, I'd be sickened to my stomach.

Souness isn't good enough, neither are Moyes, O'Leary, Bruce etc. Would Liverpool hire those? Would they hell.

It's about time we stopped settling for second, 3rd, 4th and 5th best and did what we did under KK - aim high, aim for the best, aim for the top.

Do that and we may well reach the top.

Or Pearce at the end of this season

21641[/snapback]

And what the hell has he done? So he's had a good start to his career. Sorry but that doesn't make him a good manager. If we are to take that type of gamble, we may as well give the job to Shearer.

21641[/snapback]

And what the hell has he done? So he's had a good start to his career. Sorry but that doesn't make him a good manager. If we are to take that type of gamble, we may as well give the job to Shearer.

21646[/snapback]

Well he's no more ridiculous than some of the suggestions on here, he's already got premiership experience and he's spent fuck all.

I think he has the look of a determined manager and he wouldn't be asking the mega bucks that other candidates might be.

Just remember, for every Arsene Wenger, there's a Christian Gross.

21641[/snapback]

21646[/snapback]

Well he's no more ridiculous than some of the suggestions on here, he's already got premiership experience and he's spent fuck all.

I think he has the look of a determined manager and he wouldn't be asking the mega bucks that other candidates might be.

21650[/snapback]

As if he would come anyway. He's at a club who back him and the fans love him. Not to mention a team who play for him. Why would he give up that job for Newcastle? Because he once played for us?

All those who mention the likes of Pearce, Newell, Dowie et al, we may as well keep Souness. Like someone said, just because they may be better than Souness, means feck all.

Lets sign Horsefield to replace Shearer, same type of player but Horsefield is more mobile and younger.

21650[/snapback]

I don't know if those are comparable. Wenger already had a big reputation before he went to Arsenal. He was seriously considered by Bayern in 1994 or 95 IIRC. Gross had a bit of success in the Swiss league.

But I totally agree with HTT. The aim of the club should be hiring top personal, not only when it comes to players but also when it comes to the managment job. The whole system should come under scrutiny and it needs someone who is bringing professionalism to the squad on all levels - be it nutrition or tactics.

If we are to sack Souness, we MUST go out of our way to bring in the RIGHT man once and for all because we can not chop and change willy nilly, it's becoming ridiculous and seriously effecting the long-term stability of the club on so many levels it is bad for business (so to speak).

That means no unknowns, or half-chances, that means actually going out there and bringing in a top-class coach of renowned ability to build winning teams at home and abroad.

We can not afford to try an unknown like Newell, it's ridiculous to even suggest because after 4 defeats or something, all those who wanted him, would want him out.

We need the real deal and if Souness is to get the sack, the board must go all out to find that man, the right man.

If we can blow 18m on a striker, we can spend that on a manager.

If it would cost 5m a year to bring in a Hitzfeld or a Cappello or a Wenger et al, then that is what the club must do and they must entrust the entire club into their hands and back them all the way.

BTW I'm not saying we could get those managers but they are the type of sophisticated, experienced, knowledgeable managers with proven track records at all levels that a club like Newcastle need.

Liverpool sacked Houllier who had won 6 trophies and replaced him with Spain's top coach, a man who had won La Liga and the UEFA Cup on the budget of a Villa or a Spurs.

We sacked Sir Bobby and replaced him with Souness. Two steps back.

We must look forward, beyond a season, beyond 2 and do what Arsenal, Liverpool, man Utd and Chelsea have done, clubs we should be competing with. They brought in men for the now and the future.

If we, for example chased Hitzfeld as hard as we are chasing Owen, if we sold the club to him in a positive way, if we said look, you get all of this, you get this budget and this in wages, build a team to win the Premiership and Champions League, I'm sure he would take more than a passing interest in the job. He'd be a fool not to and he doesn't strike me as a fool. He strikes me as a calculated, intelligent, deep thinking, forward looking coach.

But...

While FS is in control, that won't happen so we are fucked. The likes of Souness, or O'Leary, or Bruce, is our lot.

If we replaced Souness with O'Leary, I'd be gutted, I'd be sickened to my stomach.

Souness isn't good enough, neither are Moyes, O'Leary, Bruce etc. Would Liverpool hire those? Would they hell.

It's about time we stopped settling for second, 3rd, 4th and 5th best and did what we did under KK - aim high, aim for the best, aim for the top.

Do that and we may well reach the top.

21604[/snapback]

Always said too that if clubs pay top dollar for players, why not pay top dollar for the right manager. The manager is THE most important person at any football club, bar none, as Renton [i think] said the other day, any club, not just us, has to have the right manager or they are just pissing in the wind.

Thats why I say we should try and get Ferguson or Wenger, just go for them. Make them an offer they simply can't refuse. They both might be ready for a new, last challenge. All the real football people know what a prize Newcastle would be if they cracked it. Those who have turned it down because it's too big for them...well they are pygmies, and it is better we found out now rather than later. I remember when Jim Smith was the 8th choice for the job, but back then things were a lot different to now, you couldn't blame people not wanting to come to Newcastle, we were a club like Sheffield Wednesday are now.

It's one area where I do admire Souness. He was brave enough to take it on, and so far, not walk away.

If you don't ask Wenger or Ferguson, you will never get, or know. If they don't, then it is indeed time for Newcastle to go for another manager who has won the big leagues with the big clubs that matter. It has to be a man hungry for success, who can manage players, will work hard and give the club everything he can, and spend the clubs money well. This decision will be a crossroads for the club, we can decide to go back to where Keegan left us, or it will be nothing but a distant never to be forgotten memory.

Edited by LeazesMag

21641[/snapback]

21646[/snapback]

21650[/snapback]

As if he would come anyway. He's at a club who back him and the fans love him. Not to mention a team who play for him. Why would he give up that job for Newcastle? Because he once played for us?

All those who mention the likes of Pearce, Newell, Dowie et al, we may as well keep Souness. Like someone said, just because they may be better than Souness, means feck all.

Lets sign Horsefield to replace Shearer, same type of player but Horsefield is more mobile and younger.

21657[/snapback]

Also for Pearce, read john Gregory. The John Gregory who won his first 8 games a as manager at Villa, then .............. ???

He might be a good manager, but at the moment he is simply a potential one who took

over Keegans players, and Keegan has left a good set of players and a good club everywhere he has been.

The real test for Pearce will be when he starts buying and selling seriously.

Edited by LeazesMag

No way would Pearce leave a massive club like citeh.  :D

21670[/snapback]

In keeping with usual Citeh propaganda - arent they top supported club this season with an average of 679,573 ? Even their reserves get averages of 100,000 I hear (from Citeh fans) :D

21650[/snapback]

I don't know if those are comparable. Wenger already had a big reputation before he went to Arsenal. He was seriously considered by Bayern in 1994 or 95 IIRC. Gross had a bit of success in the Swiss league.

But I totally agree with HTT. The aim of the club should be hiring top personal, not only when it comes to players but also when it comes to the managment job. The whole system should come under scrutiny and it needs someone who is bringing professionalism to the squad on all levels - be it nutrition or tactics.

21668[/snapback]

Exactly, we need a new culture at the club from winning games, playing football, to medicine, to diet, to coaching, training and basically everything else.

With Gullit, he wasn't that type of manager, he changed the coaching set up and wanted to fill the team with so-called technically gifted foreigners. He never had a plan as such and that is one of the reasons why he was replaced at Chelsea. He was like Souness, a day to day manager.

As for Wenger, he wasn't a gamble, not a big one anyway. Arsenal did their homework on him. They found out that his man management skills were excellent, he could produce sides that played good football and they also found out that he could spot talent and nurture talent. Remember, at the time ourselves, Man Utd and Liverpool were the big hitters in the transfer market, they couldn't compete and they knew the limited capacity of Highbury would hinder that further so they needed a certain type of manager. Because he was good at footballing levels, he would pick up our game easily as he has proved so it wasn't such a huge risk.

Rafa Benitez wasn't a risk either. Some say but he's never managed in the Premiership. He doesn't need to. People forget, football is unerversal. If you can coach a group of players, organise them, nurture talent, man manager egos, you will win football games, no matter what League you're in. That's why Sir Bobby was so successful because he had all that in his locker.

If we are to replace Souness we have to look foreign because British managers, even our so-called good ones or bright young things, are average. People mention Curbishley, well his equivalent, Paul Le Guen, look what he has done for Lyon?

People mention Moyes, his equivalent Deshamps, look at what he has done at Monaco?

Our managers are average because they can't think outside the box and if they want to, their Chairman won't let them.

If we were to sack Souness, I'd fly to Germany, give Hitzfeld 5m a year and say you build a club that can win the Premiership and Champions League.

That's what Liverpool did with Rafa. He's already delivered old big ears.

Yes while we were finishing 14th under a manager they sacked years ago, a legend of theirs no less, they were winning the biggest club competition in the game. Just a year after they finished 2 points ahead of us in 4th place.

21641[/snapback]

21646[/snapback]

21650[/snapback]

21657[/snapback]

Also for Pearce, read john Gregory. The John Gregory who won his first 8 games a as manager at Villa, then .............. ???

He might be a good manager, but at the moment he is simply a potential one who took

over Keegans players, and Keegan has left a good set of players and a good club everywhere he has been.

The real test for Pearce will be when he starts buying and selling seriously.

21689[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more, and with your other post above too. The bit about buying and selling is what often separates the good managers from the bad. Look at Gregory, probably not a bad manager but look at some of the tat he bought at Villa and then later on for Derby. Look at the tat Taylor bought at Leiciester, yet he's an excellent coach.

Moyes, good coach, crap in the transfer market. That's why he'll never manage a top club. International football is his best bet where there is no need for buying or selling.

You also highlight something everyone seems to have missed about Pearce, he took over a settled squad, KK left a good team in a good position, they were just in a comfort zone and Pearce has came in and give the place a bit more urgency that is all. Lets see how he does season in season out, the same with Moyes et al.

And you are quite right about spending all that money. Other clubs place a great deal of money on their managers heads, we did it with KK offering him a 10 year contract. Bolton have done it too with Big Sam because the manager is worth far more than any player.

Though I have to say that Hitzfeld is a fantastic manager but hardly one who will revamp the whole system of the club.

What Hitzfeld can, is getting the best out of his players and use them in a succesful way. When he left Dortmund he left them in a bit of a mess, because he didn't lay any foundations for his successor. Bayern didn't have this problem because the club has a very, very professional outset anyway.

Though I have to say that Hitzfeld is a fantastic manager but hardly one who will revamp the whole system of the club.

What Hitzfeld can, is getting the best out of his players and use them in a succesful way. When he left Dortmund he left them in a bit of a mess, because he didn't lay any foundations for his successor. Bayern didn't have this problem because the club has a very, very professional outset anyway.

21705[/snapback]

I think Bayern are like Man Utd in that sense, i.e. they are a very well run club so whoever comes in, it's all seamless, they fit like a glove. Or a bit like Ajax's system. One top youngster moves on, another comes in and replaces them.

If Man Utd hired a top manager to replace Fergie, I think the success would continue because everything else is in place. I guess the for the likes of Dortmund and even ourselves, we aren't geared up for continuity so it's hard to instill that into a club. Look what KK did, all undone by one man in less than 12 months.

What we need is for someone to come in and transfor the mentality of the club first and foremost and then standards increase and everything else would all fall into place thereafter.

Isegrim, in your honest opinion, would Hitzfeld, backed with money, backed by the board, would he get Newcastle seriously challenging for Premiership and European success?

I've always rated him and he was my No.1 choice to replace Sir Bobby and would be my No.1 choice to replace Souness if he was to get the boot.

I remember he didn't have the greatest of budgets at Bayern, especially compared to the likes of Man Utd and Real yet his sides would do great in the CL, winning it in fact. He also did it with Dortmun and while some said they were boring to watch, I'd say they were great in defence and efficient in attack. A bit like Chelsea.

Anyway, could Hitzfeld do it in the Premiership?

No doubt about it, he could do it in the Premiership.

It's a massive difference in England to be good enough to finish 4th than it is to be title chasers.

We'd need a fair pot of cash to get us to the top even with the right man in charge.