Time for action is now

Kevin Carr's Gloves

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sacking another manager at around the same time in successive seasons is not going to make us attractive to ANY manager, let alone the good ones.  We'll be left in a situation where we have to make another rash appointment (similar to the one where Souness got the job).  And before anyone says "Anything's better than Souness"....maybe, maybe not, but "anything" is hardly the long term plan that we're all hoping for, is it?

21180[/snapback]

SPOT ON MATEY

Sacking another manager at around the same time in successive seasons is not going to make us attractive to ANY manager, let alone the good ones.  We'll be left in a situation where we have to make another rash appointment (similar to the one where Souness got the job).  And before anyone says "Anything's better than Souness"....maybe, maybe not, but "anything" is hardly the long term plan that we're all hoping for, is it?

21180[/snapback]

I would not sack before i knew we had a replacement, but there are a couple of good managers available at the minute they should be getting "tapped" up...

21180[/snapback]

I don't think we'll be getting rid of Sourness yet, even if we did there are still managers that would come to us even if we did.

The chairman wastes his tiem chasing "superstar" players, yet settles for a mediocre manager.  I am still sceptical as to why Souness ever got the job in the first place.  I do not believe he was the only one interested or that he was here for discipline reasons..

21179[/snapback]

Exactly. I wouldn't even say Souness was good enough to be termed "mediocre"

I am still annoyed that Shepherd gave the job to Souness, I doubt the bafflement and disappointment Shepherd's appointment of Souness made was lost on Shepherd himself though but like everyone else I said "Give him a bit time until its his team. Well we have - lots of players out for little, a few players in at large amounts of dosh, NO goals and ONE point against newly promoted 10 man West Ham. Who were actually a bit unlucky not to take all 3 points. When does Shepherd act ? When we are still looking for our first goal after TEN games ? Propping up Sunderland ?

Edited by Phil K

21180[/snapback]

I don't think we'll be getting rid of Sourness yet, even if we did there are still managers that would come to us even if we did.

21186[/snapback]

Good ones that would stay the course though? We'd always be able to attract a new manager but we need more than that.

21180[/snapback]

21186[/snapback]

Good ones that would stay the course though? We'd always be able to attract a new manager but we need more than that.

21192[/snapback]

Le Guen or Hitzfield?

WE WON'T GET RELEGATED.

21183[/snapback]

How on earth can you say that. Are you completely oblivious to what is happening, to where this club is going. A few injuries and we are down with this clown.

I can remember someone on here pointed out that Souness has never been relegated before. There is a reason for that - he has been sacked at virtually every club he has been with before that could happen, Blackburn being a prime example.

21180[/snapback]

21186[/snapback]

21192[/snapback]

Le Guen or Hitzfield?

21193[/snapback]

Isn't Le Guen in Turkey ?

Good ones that would stay the course though?  We'd always be able to attract a new manager but we need more than that.

21192[/snapback]

The problem is simple - an IDIOTIC appointment of the wrong person at the wrong time. Its not even a hindsight thing - almost everyone was horrified at the appointment. Hardly popular. Shepherd had to know Souness wouldn't please the fans. And what a bastard disaster he has been. Far worse than even I thought. And I went on record as saying he wouldn't work, but would give him a chance.

The only decision Shepherd could make that is equally idiotic to giving him the job in the first place is to give Souness a contract extension. And my opinion of Shepherd is so ****** low it wouldnt at all surprise me if he did.

Edited by Phil K

21180[/snapback]

21186[/snapback]

21192[/snapback]

Le Guen or Hitzfield?

21193[/snapback]

Isn't Le Guen in Turkey ?

21196[/snapback]

If he is my apologies i just no it was only a little over a week ago he was also linked with the Dynamo job.

21180[/snapback]

21186[/snapback]

21192[/snapback]

Le Guen or Hitzfield?

21193[/snapback]

Depends whether they would back themselves to get things right in less than a season, because unfortunately that's what we're marketing the job as if we're prepared to sack another manager a month into the season.

EDIT - A manager with a good reputation will be far less inclined to put his reputation on the line under those circumstances. A manager with nothing to lose would though, and it's more likely that that's what we'd end up with IMO.

Edited by Gemmill

If you've got the wronf man, you should het shot of him as soon as possible. It makes absolutley no sense to keep him. I agree it was an amazingly bad appoitment to begin with, and despite the fact I knew it would happen, I am astounded that Shepherd is repeating the same mistake over and over again by probably sacking the manager at the start of the season.

But really, in my opinion, he has to get rid of him now, because if he doesn't, relegation is a real possibility and that would be disastrous.

21180[/snapback]

Nope the long term plan we all want as 'Geordies'tm is already in place and will be played out shortly. Souness out, Shearer in.

Argueing over the availability of decent managers is academic I'm afraid.

:blink:

If you've got the wronf man, you should het shot of him as soon as possible.  It makes absolutley no sense to keep him. I agree it was an amazingly bad appoitment to begin with, and despite the fact I knew it would happen, I am astounded that Shepherd is repeating the same mistake over and over again by probably sacking the manager at the start of the season.

But really, in my opinion, he has to get rid of him now, because if he doesn't, relegation is a real possibility and that would be disastrous.

21205[/snapback]

So obvious a point really, it's astounding it even needs debating. And yes, of course it's Shepherd [or the board as a whole] to blame. I can't see how Souness won't go soon, he can't possibly be kept on if we keep losing.

And relegation would kill the club, we will be in the same situation as Leeds, we have players on contracts that can't be sustained, especially some who aren't worth it, and we have caused our own problems in the valuation of players in and out, due to a situation brought about by this manager.

Yup, it's the boards fault but they have been aided by supporter apathy.

I'm less than moved by the arguement that we should keep the status quo because there is 'nobody better out there'. Especially from those who previously wanted to give struggling managers more time as opposed to making changes in may/June (when there were better managers available, money to spend and time to spend it).

Depends whether they would back themselves to get things right in less than a season, because unfortunately that's what we're marketing the job as if we're prepared to sack another manager a month into the season.

21202[/snapback]

So when would you act ? Do you honestly believe this bloke is going to get it right ?

21180[/snapback]

I don't think managers do get put off by the sackings of predecessors. They all know how the business works. You don't get the results and you are out. If Newcastle started sacking manager's for not changing their underpants it might become a problem. But sacking a manager for being unsuccessful is normal. Manager's are only scared off if they don't think they can handle the task.

Hitzfeld turned down the Kiev offer where he was only interested in a role as director of football. But he didn't rule out a managing job and said recently that he has loads of offers and is just waiting for the right one. I do think the Newcastle offer would be very attractive to him as it would be similar to the Dortmund one.

I just hope that Fat Fred isn't just sitting on his arse and at least approaching managers via third parties. If one of the big ones signals interest that Fat Fred deserves to get stuffed to death with pies for not sacking the incompetent imbecile.

Edited by Isegrim

21180[/snapback]

I don't think managers do get put off by the sackings of predecessors. They all know how the business works. You don't get the results and you are out. If Newcastle started sacking manager's for not changing their underpants it might become a problem. But sacking a manager for being unsuccessful is normal. Manager's are only scared off if they don't think they can handle the task.

Good post. Ultimately no matter how much it may look like we sack managers to quickly, any decent and confident manager will back himself to be the oen who sorts it out and will probably look at the results under Souness and think "I'd have sacked the fucker myself anyway!"

Take somebody like Mourinho, he wouldn't give a shit if a club had been sackign a manager every week, he'd walk in, tell them he is the best and turn their club round! Obviously there isn't many like him about, but there are good managers who won't be scared of Freddie Shepherd.