Other teams...

Shearergol

Didn't know where to put this really.

Watching the highlights from midweek, and it's clear that Rooney and Larsson have formed an awesome partnership already. I've always wondered why Man United didn't go in for him earlier in his career, although I guess he would have chosen Barca before them at that time anyway.

It's clear that partnerships make or break a striker. Ameobi has been labelled rubbish by a lot of fans on here; a lot of which caused by the fact that he couldn't forge a partnership with Shearer. We've seen his record without Shearer in the team, and deny it all you want, it's actually very good.

There was a thread on here saying that Rooney had peaked already, and was having a shocking season. Now that Larsson is playing alongside him, he's looking good again.

Chris Sutton :blink: looked awesome alongside Shearer, but failed at Chelsea spectacularly. At Celtic he looked ok again (down to his striker partner?).

What worries me is that when Owen gets back, I can't see who can partner him. I can't see him and Martins working together, without a third striker in the mix. We desperately need to change our style of play to make this partnership work. Having Bramble playing his Beckham like passes into the stand just won't work. Same could be said about Given's distribution, which clearly isn't going to improve.

I still feel we need a big striker in the team, and I think Carew would have been ideal. Dean Ashton is the one I'd sign if we have the money (especially as West Ham will probably bring in another 10 players in summer anyway). He'd be a perfect striker for either Owen or Martins, and personally I think the team could play with all 3, especially at home.

We need to get the partnership right though. Bringing in lots of strikers who are similar just won't work.

Didn't know where to put this really.

Watching the highlights from midweek, and it's clear that Rooney and Larsson have formed an awesome partnership already. I've always wondered why Man United didn't go in for him earlier in his career, although I guess he would have chosen Barca before them at that time anyway.

It's clear that partnerships make or break a striker. Ameobi has been labelled rubbish by a lot of fans on here; a lot of which caused by the fact that he couldn't forge a partnership with Shearer. We've seen his record without Shearer in the team, and deny it all you want, it's actually very good.

There was a thread on here saying that Rooney had peaked already, and was having a shocking season. Now that Larsson is playing alongside him, he's looking good again.

Chris Sutton :blink: looked awesome alongside Shearer, but failed at Chelsea spectacularly. At Celtic he looked ok again (down to his striker partner?).

What worries me is that when Owen gets back, I can't see who can partner him. I can't see him and Martins working together, without a third striker in the mix. We desperately need to change our style of play to make this partnership work. Having Bramble playing his Beckham like passes into the stand just won't work. Same could be said about Given's distribution, which clearly isn't going to improve.

I still feel we need a big striker in the team, and I think Carew would have been ideal. Dean Ashton is the one I'd sign if we have the money (especially as West Ham will probably bring in another 10 players in summer anyway). He'd be a perfect striker for either Owen or Martins, and personally I think the team could play with all 3, especially at home.

We need to get the partnership right though. Bringing in lots of strikers who are similar just won't work.

Partnerships are born not made.

You're going over the top on the Rooney/Larsson partnership, Gol.

Rooney had been poor compared to his usual standards up until last weekends game against Villa, also Larsson didn't come onto the pitch in midweek until the 66th minute when Watford were already 2-0 down.

You're going over the top on the Rooney/Larsson partnership, Gol.

Rooney had been poor compared to his usual standards up until last weekends game against Villa, also Larsson didn't come onto the pitch in midweek until the 66th minute when Watford were already 2-0 down.

Maybe so, but they do seem to have a natural understanding. Perhaps Carew and Young is another example of strikers seeming to know where their partner will be.

The point about Owen is a good one tbh.

owen/martins could work but we'd have to play the ball on the deck and look to exploit their pace. no point in wellying the ball into the mixer with two short arses up front.

we could play a mean counter attacking game with those two hitting defences on the break but that would also mean recruiting almost an entirely new back four.

Rooney is working well with Larsson but I think he does work well with Saha too? Saha just seems to hang a little deeper (:o) than Rooney.

Ameobi didnt do it for us when Shearer was out injured and thats one reason why the fans get on his back. He also looked uninterested too, but was this because he knew he would loose his place when Al ould come back? Who knows.

As for when Owen comes back I think they could form a partnership, Although similar players like whats been said before Martins hasnt played badly with Dyer?

Rooney is working well with Larsson but I think he does work well with Saha too? Saha just seems to hang a little deeper (:o) than Rooney.

Ameobi didnt do it for us when Shearer was out injured and thats one reason why the fans get on his back. He also looked uninterested too, but was this because he knew he would loose his place when Al ould come back? Who knows.

As for when Owen comes back I think they could form a partnership, Although similar players like whats been said before Martins hasnt played badly with Dyer?

He just has a languid running style, which looks like he isn't trying imo.

He just has a languid running style, which looks like he isn't trying imo.

Aye, but at the start of this season he looked a totally differnt player, looked more enthuised full of energy and I think we have missed him in games this season?

Martins: would have to learn to drop deep to link up the attack, Owen hasn't got anything else to his game than shooting imo. He runs the channels but he doesn't cross much (going off memory here!)

Ashton: WHFC could do 'a Birmingham' and insist on a silly fee.

I don't know who came up with languid to describe ameobi. It must be mean slow as shite these days.

Yet another change in meaning of a word...like gay meant carefree at one time or something like that.

;) What did languid mean previously mean then you bellend?

I don't know who came up with languid to describe ameobi. It must be mean slow as shite these days.

Yet another change in meaning of a word...like gay meant carefree at one time or something like that.

:lol::lol:

:lol::lol:

Fuck off :panic:

As you clearly know nothing about football there's not much point, is there?

So, was languid an appropriate way to describe his running style or did I (as you claim) attach a new meaning to it? I know the answer btw so fuck off ;)

Edited by alex