Shearer bumming Woodgate

Invicta_Toon

Best defender I've seen on his day.

Yep, on his day I'd argue that he's streets ahead of Ferdinand and probably marginally better than Terry.

'on his day' is basically a get out clause for people who aren't half decent tbh

... not really... the whole point of saying it is meaning he is rarely fit, but when he plays he's great. Pretty much the opinion of almost all Newcastle fans. But I won't spoil your shit stiring fun.

Best English CB without a shadow of a doubt in my mind.

Would have to agree, his own performances alone would pretty much earn him that title, but his affect on the 3 defenders alongside him guarantees it.

Before he signed for us you would read about him and hear rom Leeds fans about just how good he was, and you could tell from their reaction to him leaving being massive compared to Ferdinand leaving. But when you see him play you understand how good he is.

But his injuries have stopped him ever being able to go on and be recognised as one of the best in the world unfortunately.

would it be daft of me to say he's the best centre half we've ever had.

nope. shame we didn't get more games out of him.

i'd agree with jonny and say that adams and mcgrath week in week out have been the best defenders i saw.

and like woodgate they both liked the booze...

Has everything but a great injury record.

Yet you didn't think it was worth the 'risk' to take him on loan this season?

Nope I didnt at the time given his past injury record but things have changed (my crystal ball must have broken!) Where our defence has constantly changed (one of the reasons I didn't want Woodgate, ironic!) Woodgate has probably had the highest percent of games played in his career.

Edited by Gejon