Glenn: How I saved Kieron

Scottish Mag

Of all his achievements in the last year, Glenn Roeder rates rescuing Kieron Dyer's career at the very top.

Dyer's recall to the England squad for this week's friendly against Spain has capped the Newcastle star's return from a two-year injury hell . . .

And a return from the brink, Roeder believes.

For the seeds of Dyer's revival were sown in a heart-to-heart with his then new club boss almost exactly 12 months ago.

"It would have been a year to the day on Friday gone that I called Kieron into my office," reflects Roeder.

"The first thing I said to him was: `I'm only worried about one thing: Kieron Dyer. Newcastle United can look after itself. I'm only worried about Kieron Dyer being fit.'

"From then on, I think he's trusted me."

And Roeder repaid that faith by finding the man with answers to Dyer's own questions over his footballing future.

"It was getting to a situation where Kieron must have been thinking to himself: my career's touch and go," adds the Newcastle boss. "He never said that to me, but in his inner thoughts he must have been thinking that.

"He couldn't have carried on playing one, two, three games and then being out for three months. He couldn't do that for his state of mind, let alone for a club who needed a player of his quality available every week.

"I did get a run of games out of him last season, but he was still not the Kieron Dyer we knew after games.

"He needed something, and we had tried everything else. So, having worked with John Green a long time at West Ham, I decided to discuss Kieron with him. We decided Kieron should give it a go with him for five months."

The result is a Dyer who has conquered his demons - mental as well as physical.

"He had been at the point where, whenever he played, he was expecting something to go wrong," adds Roeder.

"But now we've got a Kieron Dyer who doesn't think before accelerating to full speed straight away.

"A Kieron Dyer about whom Steve McClaren said to me recently: `I saw him at Tottenham and thought he was fantastic.'

"It had also started to have an impact on Kieron psychologically. He was living in a world of negativity.

"For any injured player to come in every day and see your mates training, being happy and enjoying themselves is soul destroying. But now he's the happiest man around the place. Mentally, he has come back to life.

"And I know, if you were to ask him, he would appreciate my trust in him and what I said to him in the beginning."

Now, Roeder is backing Dyer's "unique" talent to stake his claim to a regular England starting place.

"There's not another example of a player like Kieron - who can carry the ball so quickly from the halfway line to the penalty box - in this country.

"He offers England something different. He has genuine pace but he also drives at the heart of the opposition. He's not one of those dribblers that goes round in circles.

"He's got a directness when he carries the ball which is exciting to watch and very uncomfortable to play against."

Glenn Roeder cures cancer.....

Toontastic response: "About fuckin time!"

More like "FFS he should stop curing piffling things cancer and win the Champions League NOW FFS!!! Bastard!!!". :blink:

for some strange fucked up reason, I now have the image of glenn roeder running to the baywatch music in speedos, hasselhoff-esque.

thats not right :angry:

But it gets players out of the treatment room anf into training sharpish! :P

I can understand the argument about how he doesn't score enough or get enough assists but we look a far better team with him in it.

I agree with Gemmill, fair play to the club for getting him 100% and not rushing him back.

Some silly responses in this thread tbh. Good craic and the most impressive thing he's done since he took over imo.

for "most impressive" see "only useful"

Im well impressed with the progress Dyers made but I couldnt really give a flying fuck what part Roeder had to play in that, what I want to hear from Glenn is what hes going to do to sort this lot out and more importantly how many leagues down hes going to ship Carr.

No doubt though the next statement we have is of the "consistent Carr" variety.

Roeder had the bottle not to rush Dyer back when we were desperate to be fair. As for Carr, we're stuck with him at least until his contract is almost up. No one who'd want him will pay what he's on here.

Roeder had the bottle not to rush Dyer back when we were desperate to be fair. As for Carr, we're stuck with him at least until his contract is almost up. No one who'd want him will pay what he's on here.

Same with Babayaro, sadly.

I think that is a problem with a lot of players ) on Newcastle's book and the reason why a overhaul is going to be very difficult (Luque, Babayaro etc. I think we would have got rid of Butt earlier if a club could have afforded him- especially when you hand the likes of Bramble new contracts....

Very true. :o

and, it seems, bramble too - that is if the rumours are to be believed and roeder really is moronic enough to hand him a new contract

and, it seems, bramble too - that is if the rumours are to be believed and roeder really is moronic enough to hand him a new contract

I'd be surprised if Bramble was on that much compared to Baba and Carr, he signed as a youngster with potential and hasn't had any contract extensions that I know of.

I'd guess he'd be on the same as Milner and Jenas when they joined.

I'd be surprised if Bramble was on that much compared to Baba and Carr, he signed as a youngster with potential and hasn't had any contract extensions that I know of.

I'd guess he'd be on the same as Milner and Jenas when they joined.

Though, knowing our policy we are likely to hand him an vastly improved contract, meaning we are stuck with him forever...