Collina quits

Jimbo

Italian referee Pierluigi Collina has retired after resigning from the Italian Association of Referees (AIA).

The 45-year-old had been accused by the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) of a conflict of interest after accepting a sponsorship deal.

Opel, who also sponsor AC Milan, were to pay Collina £545,000 per year and the FIGC told Collina he would only be able to referee second division games.

"After 28 years I've decided to hand in my resignation," said Collina.

"People must believe in a referee. In the end, we have all lost out."

"I have slept less these last few nights than on the eve of the World Cup final.

"For me it wouldn't have been a problem to referee in Serie B, but either they (the FIGC) have faith in us referees or they don't.

"If they don't, then we have to go. Without trust we cannot move forward."

Collina, who has been voted the world's best referee five times, took charge of the 2002 World Cup final between Brazil and Germany.

He was due to retire in the summer but the Italian football association extended the maximum age for referees to 46 to accommodate him for a further year.

Very over-rated. He's not liked at all in Italy, seen as very arrogant. A decent referee, but the media always seem to talk him up too much.

21522[/snapback]

whs

Everton fans will be happy anyway.

21376[/snapback]

It was good that he bowed out having helped keep Everton out of the CL, he was always good for football and keeping them out the CL is good for football, so he ended in style :blink:

Christ do people still hate Everton, that's so last month.

21528[/snapback]

The hatred has gone i hear as they are now heading back to being a medicore prem team rather than self styled CL contenders and future of all football :blink:

Edited by Papa Lazaru

They've won a game which is more than us so you can't stop hating them yet :blink:

21537[/snapback]

True and we have to hate any team who has scored more than us as well...so thats a shitload of hatred!!!

21538[/snapback]

Every team in the top 4 divisions in England \o/

Christ do people still hate Everton, that's so last month.

21528[/snapback]

The hatred has gone i hear as they are now heading back to being a medicore prem team rather than self styled CL contenders and future of all football :D

21534[/snapback]

Everton3.jpg

:D

why shouldnt refs accept endorsements ?

Because it brings their independence into doubt. If an english referee signed a half million pound deal with Vodafone then had to go referee a Man U match it would raise questions. Its not just a matter of justice being done but justice being seen to be done.

Wonder if he'd make a good manager?

21344[/snapback]

Wouldn't have thought so.

21364[/snapback]

Would he be any worse than Souness ? :D

21688[/snapback]

Souness isn't a good manager.