Gaffer Woe At Carr KO

Scottish Mag

GLENN Roeder has admitted he feels "angry" at losing Stephen Carr to an injury sustained on international duty.

Not for the first time, Newcastle United have seen a player get hurt while away representing his country. Carr has returned to Tyneside after being withdrawn from Ireland's squad to face San Marino in a Euro 2008 qualifier after picking up a thigh injury in training yesterday and could now face several weeks on the sidelines.

Record signing Michael Owen, of course, has missed all of this term so far after suffering a serious knee injury while on World Cup duty with England last season, while Steven Taylor missed a big chunk of last term with a shoulder problem picked up while with the U21s.

Now Toon boss Roeder can only hope the rest of his international brigade come through the midweek matches unscathed.

He said: "Newcastle United have been punished terribly with injuries due to international football.

"We cannot put a world-class striker like Michael Owen on our teamsheet because of his World Cup injury. Steven Taylor returned last season from Under-21 duty and had to have his shoulder practically sewn back on.

"And now we have lost Stephen Carr for up to a month with a thigh injury. We have been wounded this season.

"Even one of our fringe players, Alan O'Brien, has gone away three times and twice he has returned injured."

The loss of Carr is particularly hard to take for Roeder, having just seen the experienced defender return from a lengthy absence with a foot injury.

He added: "We have just worked patiently with Stephen for three months, and after three games back for us he is flying home on the plane after one session with the Republic of Ireland before their Euro game with San Marino.

"The club doctor Roddy McDonald actually told me to sit down and take a deep breath when he told me that Stephen had got injured. It made me so angry and I'm still angry."

Many of United's international brigade are representing their respective countries in friendly games this week, and it is those matches that club managers, Roeder included, can sometimes be unhappy with.

He continued: "When I was working as an England staff member we had numerous disagreements in the club versus country row. Back then I thought that the club managers were being unfair to their country.

"But now I know exactly what they mean. I have gone 100% the other way. It is unfair.

"If players get injured at Newcastle, in training or in a match, I don't have a problem with that. I haven't moaned once about our injury list because they have come while players have been on club duty. I have taken it on the chin.

"But when a player gets sent back after international duty injured, we have to pick up the pieces. We are trying to push up the Premiership table in our game against Liverpool on Saturday, but already that is with 10 injuries.

"There is too much money involved in the Premiership now and too much at stake to lose players due to international friendlies.

"For five months we have battled with injuries and now after finally getting down to single figures we are back up to 10 because of Stephen's thigh injury.

"I am sure the Newcastle fans agree with me when I say that our last 12 games inthe Premiership are more important than an England friendly with Spain."

GLENN Roeder has admitted he feels "angry" at losing Stephen Carr to an injury sustained on international duty.

Not for the first time, Newcastle United have seen a player get hurt while away representing his country. Carr has returned to Tyneside after being withdrawn from Ireland's squad to face San Marino in a Euro 2008 qualifier after picking up a thigh injury in training yesterday and could now face several weeks on the sidelines.

Record signing Michael Owen, of course, has missed all of this term so far after suffering a serious knee injury while on World Cup duty with England last season, while Steven Taylor missed a big chunk of last term with a shoulder problem picked up while with the U21s.

Now Toon boss Roeder can only hope the rest of his international brigade come through the midweek matches unscathed.

He said: "Newcastle United have been punished terribly with injuries due to international football.

"We cannot put a world-class striker like Michael Owen on our teamsheet because of his World Cup injury. Steven Taylor returned last season from Under-21 duty and had to have his shoulder practically sewn back on.

"And now we have lost Stephen Carr for up to a month with a thigh injury. We have been wounded this season.

"Even one of our fringe players, Alan O'Brien, has gone away three times and twice he has returned injured."

The loss of Carr is particularly hard to take for Roeder, having just seen the experienced defender return from a lengthy absence with a foot injury.

He added: "We have just worked patiently with Stephen for three months, and after three games back for us he is flying home on the plane after one session with the Republic of Ireland before their Euro game with San Marino.

"The club doctor Roddy McDonald actually told me to sit down and take a deep breath when he told me that Stephen had got injured. It made me so angry and I'm still angry."

Many of United's international brigade are representing their respective countries in friendly games this week, and it is those matches that club managers, Roeder included, can sometimes be unhappy with.

He continued: "When I was working as an England staff member we had numerous disagreements in the club versus country row. Back then I thought that the club managers were being unfair to their country.

"But now I know exactly what they mean. I have gone 100% the other way. It is unfair.

"If players get injured at Newcastle, in training or in a match, I don't have a problem with that. I haven't moaned once about our injury list because they have come while players have been on club duty. I have taken it on the chin.

"But when a player gets sent back after international duty injured, we have to pick up the pieces. We are trying to push up the Premiership table in our game against Liverpool on Saturday, but already that is with 10 injuries.

"There is too much money involved in the Premiership now and too much at stake to lose players due to international friendlies.

"For five months we have battled with injuries and now after finally getting down to single figures we are back up to 10 because of Stephen's thigh injury.

"I am sure the Newcastle fans agree with me when I say that our last 12 games inthe Premiership are more important than an England friendly with Spain."

Feel free to pick your favourite part of it. Mohammed Said el Patrokles will love it...

Guest Patrokles

Feel free to pick your favourite part of it. Mohammed Said el Patrokles will love it...

Can this be merged please, Isegrim is too slow again. ;)

Can this be merged please, Isegrim is too slow again. ;)

Pah, only because the lazy Scot didn't include his own thoughts... :lol:

Guest Patrokles

I was pretty pleased to hear he's out.

Grimmy, all Roeder's saying is that he hates players being injured on international duty. Are you saying that you would like all of our players to go play for their country and come back injured? (Carr excepted.) You don't think it's reasonable for Roeder to be displeased that, having lost a player for however long, looked after him, etc, his country have left him crocked? You think that's okay and that Roeder is talking shit? Well?

;)

The article is class. It's like all of his "I refuse to use our injury list as an excuse" frustrations have been bubbling beneath the surface and now he's just EXPLODED with a torrent of injury list moaning. ;)

Guest Patrokles

The article is class. It's like all of his "I refuse to use our injury list as an excuse" frustrations have been bubbling beneath the surface and now he's just EXPLODED with a torrent of injury list moaning. ;)

I think it's more the fact the he's pretty careful with injured players and then the minute he releases them, they get injured away from club duty. It must be pretty frustrating, to be fair, after the Owen situation especially.

I haven't moaned once about our injury list. I haven't moaned once about our injury list. I haven't moaned once about our injury list. I haven't moaned once about our injury list. I haven't moaned once about our injury list. I haven't moaned once about our injury list. I haven't moaned once about our injury list. I haven't moaned once about our injury list. I haven't moaned once about our injury list. I haven't moaned once about our injury list. I haven't moaned once about our injury list. I haven't moaned once about our injury list. I haven't moaned once....

Ad infinitum.

I think it's more the fact the he's pretty careful with injured players and then the minute he releases them, they get injured away from club duty. It must be pretty frustrating, to be fair, after the Owen situation especially.

I reckon the grapes in the NUFC fruit bowl are in serious danger of being crushed.

I reckon the grapes in the NUFC fruit bowl are in serious danger of being crushed.

:lol:

When you look at that picture of him at Spurs, his entire body shape has changed. I know when you look at Shearer as a 26 year old compared to when he retired, he's a lot more thick set, but he was still in top condition. If you saw Carr out in the street in normal clobber you wouldn't even say he particularly looked after himself, never mind played Premiership and international football.

Finally NUFC have some luck on the injury front!

Like Jimbo i'm not one for ever wishing injuries on toon players, but i'm afraid with this one we needed it taken out of Roeder's hands and we should now see Nobby resume his place in the team.

As for the article, i don't think Roeder is wrong to say what he did at all (other than being sad at Carr being injured!), its a complete joke the way clubs pay for players, pay their wages, their bonuses, their insurance and everything else, then internationals take them at will, injure them and the club (and its fans) suffer the consequences.

The example with Ashton was a very good one, if he hadn't got injured with England for a meaningless game West Ham would very likely not be in the trouble they are now having lost one of their best/most important players...and we know all about that sort of thing ourselves.

When you look at that picture of him at Spurs, his entire body shape has changed. I know when you look at Shearer as a 26 year old compared to when he retired, he's a lot more thick set, but he was still in top condition. If you saw Carr out in the street in normal clobber you wouldn't even say he particularly looked after himself, never mind played Premiership and international football.

You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job.

You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job.

;)

I think i'd take Michael Cane now, never mind then, over Carr at RB!