Third letter bomb in three days.

Scottish Mag

A woman has been injured by a letter bomb which exploded at the main DVLA centre in South Wales, police say.

The attack, which happened shortly before 0930 GMT, is the third of its kind on motoring-related companies in three consecutive days.

Police said the latest blast happened in the post room of the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency in Swansea.

An accountancy firm in Berkshire was targeted on Tuesday, and the central London offices of Capita on Monday.

A South Wales Police spokeswoman said the woman had been injured in "a small letter-type explosion" at about 0923 GMT and had been taken to hospital.

Her injuries were not thought to be life-threatening, she said.

A cordon has been put in place around the scene, but police said the DVLA building and surrounding areas had not been evacuated so far.

'Worrying'

On Tuesday a package exploded at the offices of an accountancy firm linked to Speed Check Services, the provider of digital speed cameras to the police.

That followed a letter bomb attack the day before at the central London offices of Capita, which runs London's congestion charge system.

Home Secretary John Reid described the incidents as "worrying".

But he added: "It is important we allow police to get on with their investigation without undue speculation."

Nigel Humphries, from the Association of British Drivers, told BBC Radio Five Live he was "appalled" by what appeared to be linked attacks.

"In fact, it makes us feel a bit guilty that we haven't campaigned hard enough on the legitimate front against the things that we oppose, to do with criminalising and bullying motorists, and because of our failure to campaign hard enough, somebody's had to resort to this."

Alun Cairns, Welsh Conservative Assembly Member for South Wales West, sent his "sympathy and best wishes" to the injured DVLA worker.

He said he planned to set up meetings with the DVLA, police and staff to discuss "protecting personnel in the workplace".

The DVLA maintains registers of drivers and vehicles and is responsible for road safety.

7 now.

Some bloke was just on the news saying the sender was "clearly mentally deranged".

Not sure how he came to that conclusion since they've been designed to hurt rather than to kill.

You don't think blowing some secretary's fingers off is a bit deranged?

7 now.

Some bloke was just on the news saying the sender was "clearly mentally deranged".

Not sure how he came to that conclusion since they've been designed to hurt rather than to kill.

Nope.

I've been close when yet another fine landed on my mat for doing 41.

7 now.

Nope.

I've been close when yet another fine landed on my mat for doing 41.

:lol:

Worried sick, my son is a postie :lol:

He'll be fine. It's the destination that gets it.

:lol: Surely anyone handling the mail could 'get it' though.

These bombs seem well made the detonators could be on a correct movement trigger rather than a proximity trigger which cuts the possibility of early detonation. Also the bags that posties have would probably contain this type of device as the sound like small incendiary devices. Also the biggest pointer is all of the ones so far have got to destination which means the maker is good at what they are doing.

He will be fine. I personally guarantee it.

These bombs seem well made the detonators could be on a correct movement trigger rather than a proximity trigger which cuts the possibility of early detonation. Also the bags that posties have would probably contain this type of device as the sound like small incendiary devices. Also the biggest pointer is all of the ones so far have got to destination which means the maker is good at what they are doing.

well thank you! I hope you're right, i thank god he's a postie down here where i suppose the risk of this is much smaller, though of course stil there.

well thank you! I hope you're right, i thank god he's a postie down here where i suppose the risk of this is much smaller, though of course stil there.

If he can get a pair of firemans gloves he would be mega guaranteed safety.

Yeah! Or we have several pairs of gloves worn by williams drivers (F1) They only wear them for one or two practice sessions then discard them and have new for qualifying and the race.

Trouble is posties have so much fumbling around in their bags and packages etc to deal with they dont often wear gloves, too much hassle taking them on and off all the time!

Yeah! Or we have several pairs of gloves worn by williams drivers (F1) They only wear them for one or two practice sessions then discard them and have new for qualifying and the race.

Trouble is posties have so much fumbling around in their bags and packages etc to deal with they dont often wear gloves, too much hassle taking them on and off all the time!

Is he a career postie or until he does what you want him to do?

Worried sick, my son is a postie :P

:lol: Eh? :P

He can do whatever he chooses, we have always supported him whatever he wants to do. He normally works in IT and graphics...went to college, worked as IT assisstant manager in a branch of connextions for a time, Then set up self employed making websites, which did fairly well (mainly motorsport sites) Then he decided he wanted to do something totally different away from computers and here he is! He is certainly getting very fit. Im actually glad he is trying different things, i wish i had, but i hate change and am a creature of habit. I admire him for his enthusiasm.

Edited by Toonraider

He can do whatever he chooses, we have always supported him whatever he wants to do. He normally works in IT and graphics...went to college, worked as IT assisstant manager in a branch of connextions for a time, Then set up self employed making websites, which did fairly well (mainly motorsport sites) Then he decided he wanted to do something totally different away from computers and here he is! He is certainly getting very fit. Im actually glad he is trying different things, i wish i had, but i hate change and am a creature of habit. I admire him for his enthusiasm.

I was just having a laugh sorry. Good for him to try different stuff. I am 38 and only just getting round to Uni and a career.

:P Surely anyone handling the mail could 'get it' though.

I was just having a laugh sorry. Good for him to try different stuff. I am 38 and only just getting round to Uni and a career.

Well they say you are never too old to learn new tricks, at least when you're older you have some life experience to enable you to make the correct choices. If only I knew what i know now when I was 18......... :lol:

Well they say you are never too old to learn new tricks, at least when you're older you have some life experience to enable you to make the correct choices. If only I knew what i know now when I was 18......... :lol:

Is this another bum love reference?

Edited by Gemmill

I desperately wanted to mention that but was having a nice chat with toonraider for a change.

I desperately wanted to mention that but was having a nice chat with toonraider for a change.

Yes we were but its just like Bianca to lower the tone <_<:razz: