Skysports News leaving Freeview

themags

Live premiership games on Freeview > SSN.

Sky has announced that it is developing plans for the launch of a subscription television service on digital terrestrial television (DTT) this summer.

The new service will allow customers to receive some of Sky's most popular programmes - including sport and movies - through a conventional rooftop aerial and a DTT box for a monthly subscription.

The announcement comes on the day that the merged companies of Virgin Mobile and NTL Telewest relaunched as Virgin Media.

The line-up of channels on the new Sky service will offer a range of content including sports, movies, entertainment and news. The sports service will include live coverage from the Barclays Premiership and other top events. Full details, including branding, pricing and the complete channel line-up, will be revealed closer to launch.

Previously, a selection of Sky's basic and premium pay TV content - including live Premiership football - was available on DTT from 1998 to 2002.

The new service will make use of existing capacity that Sky currently uses to broadcast Sky Three, Sky News and Sky Sports News. As a result, these channels will cease to be available free-to-air via DTT in advance of the launch of the pay-TV service.

Mike Darcey, Sky's chief operating officer, said: "We look forward to bringing some of Sky's most popular content to digital terrestrial viewers. This will give families more choice and increase the availability of leading content and channel brands."

Sky plans to broadcast its pay-TV channels on DTT using the more efficient MPEG4 compression technology, enabling Sky to offer four 24-hour video streams in place of the three Sky channels currently available, with further improvements expected in future. The pay-TV service will use a highly secure conditional access (CA) system similar to the one that Sky uses for its satellite television service.

To access the service, customers will have to buy a new set-top box that includes the relevant CA software and MPEG4 decoder. It is anticipated that once the service launches multiple manufacturers will have the opportunity to produce compatible set-top-boxes.

The launch of the new service is subject to approval by Ofcom. The regulator would have to modify licences held by Sky and transmission provider National Grid Wireless in order to permit the service to operate.

foreign satelite is probably the way to go, keep meaning to look in to this

sky is hardly worth the £45 a month

Totally agree. I don't have it. You have to pay extra to see the games you want as well. :lol:

Sky has announced that it is developing plans for the launch of a subscription television service on digital terrestrial television (DTT) this summer.

The new service will allow customers to receive some of Sky's most popular programmes - including sport and movies - through a conventional rooftop aerial and a DTT box for a monthly subscription.

The announcement comes on the day that the merged companies of Virgin Mobile and NTL Telewest relaunched as Virgin Media.

The line-up of channels on the new Sky service will offer a range of content including sports, movies, entertainment and news. The sports service will include live coverage from the Barclays Premiership and other top events. Full details, including branding, pricing and the complete channel line-up, will be revealed closer to launch.

Previously, a selection of Sky's basic and premium pay TV content - including live Premiership football - was available on DTT from 1998 to 2002.

The new service will make use of existing capacity that Sky currently uses to broadcast Sky Three, Sky News and Sky Sports News. As a result, these channels will cease to be available free-to-air via DTT in advance of the launch of the pay-TV service.

Mike Darcey, Sky's chief operating officer, said: "We look forward to bringing some of Sky's most popular content to digital terrestrial viewers. This will give families more choice and increase the availability of leading content and channel brands."

Sky plans to broadcast its pay-TV channels on DTT using the more efficient MPEG4 compression technology, enabling Sky to offer four 24-hour video streams in place of the three Sky channels currently available, with further improvements expected in future. The pay-TV service will use a highly secure conditional access (CA) system similar to the one that Sky uses for its satellite television service.

To access the service, customers will have to buy a new set-top box that includes the relevant CA software and MPEG4 decoder. It is anticipated that once the service launches multiple manufacturers will have the opportunity to produce compatible set-top-boxes.

The launch of the new service is subject to approval by Ofcom. The regulator would have to modify licences held by Sky and transmission provider National Grid Wireless in order to permit the service to operate.

Twats! :razz:

:lol:

Twats! :razz:

:lol:

Greedy twats tbh

From next season Setanta sports will have rights to some premiership football and are launching a new channel which doesn't need a satelite dish but which can be recieved through a TV ariel like Freeview & which starts on march the 1st at £10.99 a month.

I think what sky & Murdoch are doing is what they always do, try and crush any opposition, the twats.

Setanta http://www.topup.tv/setantasports.html

From next season Setanta sports will have rights to some premiership football and are launching a new channel which doesn't need a satelite dish but which can be recieved through a TV ariel like Freeview & which starts on march the 1st at £10.99 a month.

I think what sky & Murdoch are doing is what they always do, try and crush any opposition, the twats.

Correct me if I am wrong but the way I read your link is that you have to already be a subscriber to Topup TV at £9.99 per month BEFORE then paying Setanta.

Have got Nova from Greece here 300 euro for 12 months with the 13th thrown in for free. Get at least 3 live FAPL games on a Saturday, 2 or 3 on a Sunday, all the midweek stuff, plus Spanish, Italian, Greek and Jorman footie. The film channels also come part of the package, and show whatever Sky have but go proper hardcore after 10pm. Which is nice.

http://www.nova.gr/newsmed/3102.jpg

Edited by asteroidblitz

P2P programs like TVAnts are pretty amazing (so I've heard!), provided you can handle vhs style quality, korean commentary and watching on a pc. Interesting case legally, not illegal, but "extra-legal", so I've been led to believe. Watching the match live on saturday 3pm is fun, although I have mixed feelings about this, tradition et al. Anything beats lining the pockets of purveyors of such "quality" programming ass The O'Reilly factor though. It's a minefield out there, especially when you're a liberal hippy douche...

Have got Nova from Greece here 300 euro for 12 months with the 13th thrown in for free. Get at least 3 live FAPL games on a Saturday, 2 or 3 on a Sunday, all the midweek stuff, plus Spanish, Italian, Greek and Jorman footie. The film channels also come part of the package, and show whatever Sky have but go proper hardcore after 10pm. Which is nice.

http://www.nova.gr/newsmed/3102.jpg

where did you get it and how much are set-up costs?

Correct me if I am wrong but the way I read your link is that you have to already be a subscriber to Topup TV at £9.99 per month BEFORE then paying Setanta.

You can get Setanta seperately from Top up TV.

You need a freeview box with space for a card to receive it, you can phone them up & they send the card to you.

Edited by thenorthumbrian

whats the point of that? i like sky sports news and sky news i also liked men and motos untill they took that off and put that crappy quiz show channel on which i wasnt happy about. ile get rid of mine if they keep taking all the good channels off!!