Who do you think are the best five defenders in the Premiership?

Guest stevieintoon

Guest stevieintoon

Centre halfs or full backs, take your pick - mine:

1. Jonathon Woodgate

Many will look at this as being biased, you can think that if you like, but never have I seen a classier defender from England than Woody, obviously I'm not old enough to have seen Bobby Moore, but there are similarities between him and Alan Hansen. He's quick, awesome in the air, strong, suberb on the ball, calm, he's absolute world class. People might say he's always injured, just take this being about when all these players are at peak fitness. The brother in law is Leeds through and through season ticket holder down there for years, he said Woody at Leeds was better than Rio, while there's very little in it I think Woody when fit is better.

2. Rio Ferdinand

The problem with Rio is his image. A lot of people don't like him because of what they see as his arrogance as well as his greed, when holding Man Utd, a club who supported him for 9 months while being banned, to ransome over £110,000 a week wages. Very occasionally he fannies on with the ball too much, but apart from that people often forget what a good footballer he is. I put him above Terry simply because I think he has more skill, his reading of the game is fantastic, his goal against Liverpool this season was a goal certain strikers don't even have the ability to do.

3. John Terry

Chelsea are a different team when he isn't there, it could be argued that he's the bravest player in the Premiership, few players I've ever seen have more will to win than him, and he's not particularly dirty. He's absolutely superb in the air, probably the best we have in the air, I just feel Woody and Rio have marginally more class, that said he's still a truely world class player.

4. Kolo Toure

Came from Beveren for pennies (why do we not find these bargains), he's not massive but he rarely loses a header, different class in their CL run last season, and his attacking approach at times is reminscent of Phillipe Albert. Watch his anticipation of the ball as well, before a midfielder has ever passed the ball to a striker, he's anticipating it and getting in there first. I believe honestly, if Gilberto was ever missing, he could do well in front of the back four as well.

5. Tal Ben Haim

Many people would probably have King, Carragher, Agger, Distin, Ashley Cole, Vidic or Carvalho in front of the Israeli but I'm not one of them. The fact Bolton have lost £3m by not accepting Chelsea's offer in January, knowing he'll go somewhere on a Bosman in June, says it all. He for me is the most unsung player in the Premiership. Great in the air, mobile, rarely gives it away, and what gives him the edge over the above is how versatile he is. Carragher is a great centre half, he is, all heart, not as much class as many but he's a imposing central defender. However he's like a fish out of water at right back, Ben Haim just goes in there when they have injuries at full back and plays like he's been there his whole career, an absolutely brilliant defender, and I hope we at least attempt to bring him in the summer.

Toure and Vidic are a good shouts. Would add Carragher to those already chosen. I also think Gallas is class, although it's been a while since he played.

Guest stevieintoon

1)Vidic,

2)Terry,

3)Toure

4)Ferdinand,

5)G Neville,

See Vidic, when he first came, and he still does it even now, the ball comes in to the box from a throw or a corner as they're defending, and he heads it down! It takes a while to get used to the Premiership he's had some good games, great at attacking set plays, but he has a lot to learn, and even pub standard centre halfs know when the ball comes in to the box, it's up and away rather than heading it down, it's not rocket science. It cost Man Utd a few goals that. He definitely has huge potential though, shame he missed the experience of the World Cup.

Guest stevieintoon

Do you make identical posts on every forum going?

Why comment? Why do you care? I wasn't aware there was only two forums on the world wide web.

PL

1. John Terry

2. Nemanja Vidić

3. Kolo Abib Touré

4. William Gallas

5. Gary Neville

Toon

1. Steven Vincent Taylor

2. Oguchialu Chilioke "Oguchi" Onyewu

3. Craig Moore

4. Paul Huntington

5. Titus Malachi Bramble

If I got to choose a back four that I'd like to see at the toon out of the current premiership players it would be:

G Neville - W Gallas - J Terry - P Evra (Another one of taggart's great finds.)

It's all well and good to name the best centre halfs but if they don't have a decent outlets beside them then their options are few and far between and they have to resort to the Bramble ball.

Edited by sammynb