Taylors in dreamland

Scottish Mag

Steven Taylor admits that he is living the dream by playing for his home-town club Newcastle.

The youngster has established himself as a key figure for The Magpies with his no-nonsense approach to defending, but he admits it is an amazing feeling to be playing for the club he supported as a child.

And the 21-year-old claims he is determined to silence the critics who have derided Newcastle's defence for a number of years.

"It's what I have always dreamed of doing, and I still can't quite believe I am doing it," he told the Daily Mail. "I remember going to a European tie against Barcelona as a kid, when Tino Asprilla scored a hat-trick, and thinking it was the best night of my life. Every goal that went in, the noise got louder, and I wondered then what it must feel like to be out there in the middle.

"A couple of years later, I got the chance to be one of the ball boys, and the same thought crossed my mind. I stepped on to the pitch to sidefoot the ball to Pavel Srnicek, turned round at the sea of faces and thought: 'If only'. Now Pav's a team-mate, and I'm living out my dream. It's unreal.

"It's just the most amazing adrenalin rush when you've got a full house screaming at you at St James'. There is nothing like it, nothing."

Defending has been Newcastle's Achilles heel for a number of years, but Taylor is determined to play a part in shoring up the back four.

"For the past 10 or 15 years, all I have known is our back four being hammered," he admitted. "If I could help persuade people to say a few positive things about us before I've finished, I'd settle for that."

Big names guiding Newcastle youngster Taylor

Newcastle United defender Steven Taylor has revealed how some the game's biggest names have helped him forge his career.

"I always appreciated the faith Souness showed in me and the way he kept encouraging me," he told the Daily Mail. "When he gave me my home debut, against Everton, he only told me an hour or so before kick-off. He called me to his office and said: 'You're in at right-back'.

"My legs were like jelly walking back down the stairs, but when I opened the dressing-room door, I saw my shirt hung up on the peg next to Alan Shearer's. I don't know whether that was down to Alan or the boss, but it was a great touch.

"It gave me a real boost, and as I got changed, Alan said: 'There may be 52,000 out there, but they are all behind you. Try and relax and enjoy it. Just remember, they are all on your side'. It was delivered in a calm, measured way and was just what I needed.

"Within the first few minutes, I let Kevin Kilbane know I was around, then piled into a 50-50 with Thomas Gravesen. That was my first real test. Gravesen was renowned for his physical strength, but I came away with the ball and cleared my lines. Suddenly, the Gallowgate End were singing my name. It was the best feeling I have ever had.

"Playing for Tony Adams wasn't far behind when he took me on loan to Wycombe. He had always been my absolute idol. It was a chance to play first-team football and learn from the master, and he was brilliant with me.

"Every day, after training, he would stay behind to give me extra tuition. For 45 minutes to an hour, we would work on positional play, heading, one-on-ones. Sometimes, he'd get one of the strikers to stay behind and run at me, to help me time my tackles.

"Other times, it was just me and him, going over some of the basics. Me and the former England captain working on my game. Honestly, I'd have stayed all season, given the chance, but Bobby Robson recalled me after a month.

"When I left, Tony gave me his number and said: 'Any problems, give me a call'. We have kept in touch. He has pointed out a few things but also said he thinks I have done well for Newcastle and England under-21s. You can't ask for better than that."

Big names guiding Newcastle youngster Taylor

Newcastle United defender Steven Taylor has revealed how some the game's biggest names have helped him forge his career.

"I always appreciated the faith Souness showed in me and the way he kept encouraging me," he told the Daily Mail. "When he gave me my home debut, against Everton, he only told me an hour or so before kick-off. He called me to his office and said: 'You're in at right-back'.

Respect lost tbh

"For the past 10 or 15 years, all I have known is our back four being hammered," he admitted. "If I could help persuade people to say a few positive things about us before I've finished, I'd settle for that."

Now that's ambition. :D