Money or happiness?

Scottish Mag

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matter of degrees. Does the job I dislike allow me enough time/money to be happy when I'm not there? Does the one I like pay too little for a comfortable lifestyle? How much do I dislike the job? etc. etc.

Generally speaking, I'd prefer to be happy in my job.

Matter of degrees. Does the job I dislike allow me enough time/money to be happy when I'm not there? Does the one I like pay too little for a comfortable lifestyle? How much do I dislike the job? etc. etc.

Generally speaking, I'd prefer to be happy in my job.

What he said, yep.

Happy in my job please...

No point rolling around in money if you're as miserable as fuck because of the way you earned it....

Is there Scott? :D

You can take pride in any job you do. Ultimately all jobs become boring (unless you are very lucky) so one that pays a lot is best.

Don't know, I could easily earn double the money I earn now taking a job at a huge law firm. Though, I would hardly find much time to spend the money and probably suffer from a stroke or burn out syndrome in about ten years time. No thanks.

You can take pride in any job you do. Ultimately all jobs become boring (unless you are very lucky) so one that pays a lot is best.

Don't know, I could easily earn double the money I earn now taking a job at a huge law firm. Though, I would hardly find much time to spend the money and probably suffer from a stroke or burn out syndrome in about ten years time. No thanks.

I suppose the assumption was you were good enough to do the high paying job :D

I suppose the assumption was you were good enough to do the high paying job :D

Ok, my GREAT loafing skills would probably be a big hindrance. :D

Having said that, I am currently applying for a job which will result in having much less time to pester internet forums whenever I want to. :gettin:

Money

I'm young enough so that if the remuneration was sufficently substantial I'd suffer long hours and hard work if it meant I could quit sooner than normal and enjoy as much of my life as possible.

of course I think that it's more likely that you'll be in a job you enjoy and be paid an amount that pleases you. Simply because if you like your job, but feel underpaid you'd not be entirely happy in your job, and if you were paid a lot of money for a bad job you'd be able to afford a lifestyle outside of the office which made up for the work you did in it.

but like I said, I'd take money and slog at the moment.

Would you rather be in a job you are happy with, but on less money than you would like, or a well paid job which you are not particularly happy in?

depends if you work a 35 hour week or a 50 hour week, also depends if you get 20 days with no bank holidays a year, or 35 days plus banks too, and also depends on whether you have any responsibilities i.e. kids, relatives etc

but, all that's by the by, because the only thing it depends on nowadays and in the real wordl is if you have anyone to support you in your old age, because the happiness in your low paid job will be worth sod all when you're dribbling in an old folks home, especially as happy people live longer too.

don't worry be happy :D

I'd be happy to do a Gemmill and get paid to fuck about on the internet all day, evey day, that would mean i'm on good money and happy!

But seriously if we're talking big money then i'd do the shit job, save it all and retire at an incredibly early age and do whatever i wanted with my life.

If we're talking smaller increses in pay then i'd much rather be happy in my work.

I've been giving this subject a lot of thought recently, I'm fortunate to earn what I consider good money, but I work insane hours for the privelige, which no doubt are shortening my life expectancy, I'm now in the process of applying for other jobs, part of it is genuine greed, some of it is feeling the need for something new tinged with a little unhappiness and a tad of boredom.

I've been giving this subject a lot of thought recently, I'm fortunate to earn what I consider good money, but I work insane hours for the privelige, which no doubt are shortening my life expectancy, I'm now in the process of applying for other jobs, part of it is genuine greed, some of it is feeling the need for something new tinged with a little unhappiness and a tad of boredom.

Interview question gold :D

Interview question gold :gettin:

I'm thinking they would commend me for honesty.

:D

I'd prefer to be happy in my job, because that can effect your health, mood and well being so much.

But if you had loads of money you could spend it on coke and whores to cheer yourself up! :D

I could like, but I'm a boring bastard and not into drugs or whores

I'd prefer to be happy in my job, because that can effect your health, mood and well being so much.

But if you had loads of money you could spend it on coke and whores to cheer yourself up! :D

I could like, but I'm a boring bastard and not into drugs or whores

Ok if you're boring, how about an expensive antique pipe and slippers and all the horlicks you can drink!

I get paid decent money (I put "earn" initially and changed it to "get paid" :D ) but my job is shite. Really fucking boring. Having said that, I think I'm just one of those people who is never going to enjoy work too much - 10 years I've been doing it for now, and it's pretty much always been shite (hence the time spent pissing about). So I'll stick with the good money and the crap job tbh.

Besides, I've got too much debt to take a paycut now, even if I wanted to. With any luck once I get them sorted and start putting some away, I'll be able to retire early(ish).